Bells Batch 7000 Ale

overall
Formerly brewed at Bells Brewery
Style: Imperial Stout
Galesburg, Michigan USA

RATINGS: 641   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.11   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 360   ABV: 12%
Batch 7000 is part of our commemorative series celebrating our progress with special brews. Our 7000th batch is a special recipe to be brewed only once.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
gearbike (512) - West Bloomfield, Michigan, USA - OCT 31, 2005
Thin black body. Flavor and taste is very much like would think after pouring. A true stout with a lot going on. Carmel, grapefuit, and others but most of all you are lef with esspresso/coffee wich is just not my personal preferance.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
MAP (1133) - Lakewood, Ohio, USA - NOV 6, 2005
As dark as stouts come really, but this one has a decent sized head on it, for a stout that is. Aroma is first off sweet. Then coffee, then roast, then chocolate. Flavor comes off....well, odd at first. I somewhat expect a usualt craft beer flavor from Bells, but this is unique. Brown sugar maybe? Too much left over roast flavor. It is not too hoppy, but if it were it would be overshadowed by the sheer size of this beer. Seeing that this is just a tad more alcoholic than the Expedition Stout, I expected just a slightly stronger brew. That was not the case to my taste. This sadly is to much in the wrong direction I say.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 10/20
acertain (249) - Seattle, Washington, USA - DEC 12, 2005
Looks great. Smells great. Feels great, but with a bitter mollassas aftertaste that I couldn’t stomach.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
cdog69 (28) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - DEC 28, 2005
Strong Alcoholic aroma with hints of sweetness. Dark brown with redish hues and a light tan head. Taste of alcohol is predominent with some sourness. Thin bodied with lots of carbonation and again a strong alcoholic presence. Too much of an alochol taste hides most of the other flavors, which would have made this more enjoyable.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
omhper (19644) - Tyresö, SWEDEN - MAR 31, 2006
Bottled. Very black, dark brown head. Spicy licorice aroma. Tastes like cask strength whiskey with loads of licorice added. Sweet with somewhat raw and inky mouthfeel. Plenty of tar. Lingering finish with enormuos licorice character. Powerful, but nowhere near balanced.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
milewide (1535) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - OCT 25, 2006
Intense! Black! Lots of roasted malt flavor, though less in smell. Medium sweetness. Not much hops.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Fin (7538) - Merton, Oxfordshire, England, Oxfordshire, ENGLAND - MAR 4, 2008
ZBF 2008 on the Saturday, this was shared out to us ratebeerians by the very generous Miketd, cheers Mike! Bacon was on the aroma as so accurately spotted by Phil L, but also some smokiness and roasted nuts. Intensely bitter but backed with much sweetness. The bitterness coats ones tongue and stays there for some time, some coffee flavours as well. I liked this but I’m glad that I had a smallish sample as any more and I may have found it just a bit too much for me.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
bwa5879 (685) - Portage, Michigan, USA - JAN 21, 2013
On tap at 2013 Inaugural Vintage Beer Tasting. 2005 bottle. Pour was dark brown to black with a small layer of suds the color of a cardboard box. Smells similar to aged brandy with fermented dark fruits, brown sugar and molasses, somewhat leathery. Mouth feel was slick and warm, very soft carbonation. Roasty taste with predominant taste of figs and dark fruits, charred wood, hints of spices - allspice, anise. Finish was slightly sour and surprisingly clean. I need some more years to appreciate this one.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
Homer321 (1961) - Rock Ridge, Florida, USA - JUN 6, 2014
bottleshare thanks to Beechner224. Slightly oxidized nose, a mix of paper and dried fruit and sherry. Pours a nearly flat dark brown to black with ruby highlights. Taste is a very sweet chocolate and booze. Also oxidized in the taste. Weird vanilla and barrel character to it. Not much stout character at all. Ok.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
raindog (560) - Evansville, Indiana, USA - AUG 11, 2009
Gee,guess I’m in my own boat on this one. Drank fresh,and 2 days ago. Rating for the aged,which is just slightly better. Thick pour. Very dark,brown,red,almost black. Head is short,lived. Powerful vinous,fruit,alcohol,and some chocolate,roast. Thick in the mouth. Big charcoal,tar upfront followed by a little sweet malt and bombarded with alcohol. Burnt,vanilla and port. Finish has gotten better with age,but still I don’t care much for it. Lightly sweet flavors are masked by charred,smokey,flavors and ruling port/alcohol. This is probably the most wine/port like beer I’ve had,that wasn’t aged in a wine barrel. After drinking this one,I’m glad I traded my last two away. This beer was crazy fresh, and still is. Just a mess of flavors IMHO.