Bells Batch 7000 Ale

overall
Formerly brewed at Bells Brewery
Style: Imperial Stout
Galesburg, Michigan USA

RATINGS: 649   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.12/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 360   ABV: 12%
Batch 7000 is part of our commemorative series celebrating our progress with special brews. Our 7000th batch is a special recipe to be brewed only once.

mdi's rating

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
mdi (573) - Nebraska, USA - JUN 17, 2006
12oz bottle, I stole it from Kevin! I figured this would be a barleywine...but I was pleasantly surprised! Pours oil black with a solid brown head...I can smell liquorice before Iím done pouring my glass. Strong aromatics...some sort of doughy roastiness...a bit chalky or musty. Chocolate too, with a little earth tinge. The massive thick sweet body is certainly there on this beast. Some coffee lingering. Mouthfeel is a bit odd as it jumps from huge sweetness into dry, warming tannins w/ coffee like bitterness hanging around for minutes after each sip. I donít particularily enjoy that long lingering. Maybe Iím just jaded, but I donít think this is wonderful. Massice...yes...delicious...Iím gulping it down instead of sipping it...but wonderful Iíll reserve for a beer that has a little more utility than this beast. The malt really does show up the more I drink it. But because of the relatively few times I could drink a beer this thick, sweet and strong, I canít give it a lofty status, and I need to go back and reconsider many of my earlier ratings on beers like this. My growing feeling for Imperial Stouts is somewhat akin to how I feel about long classic rock or blues guitar solos...they soar on & on & on...and so many people think they are inspired...but to me, they are nothing more than guitar masturbation...theyíre doing just because they can, not because it makes any sense...must be done in small, tasteful doses!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
JStax (5214) - Devola/Marietta, Ohio, USA - AUG 13, 2016
Bottle acquired from a trade awhile back. ClarkVV I think. Thanks! 400th imperial stout rate, so thatís pretty cool. The beer is a thick, oily black with a beige head of foam that diminishes to just a ring around the glass. The beer has huge raisin and leather characteristics to it. Moderate sweetness resonates on the tongue for awhile after the sip. The beer tastes great right now. Age hasnít done it any harm! Big body. Fairly low carbonation. Great beer!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
bnokk (465) - Lee, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 20, 2016
Brewed in Sept 2005, drinken in July 2016. APPEARANCE- super dark. Nicely dark carmel color head. NOSE- deep, dark scents. Licorice, heavy boosy. FLAVOR- very boosy, deep flavors youíd expect for such a tremendously dark beer. Some black licorice NOTES- not sure if this would have been better 4-5 years ago, or if it could stay in the cellar a couple more years.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
koleminer20 (2440) - Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - OCT 30, 2015
12 oz bottle shared with Jason and Brian. The pour is a dark black with a lovely collar of dark khaki head and no lace. The aroma is real good. There is a strong dark fruit and a nice roast. Nice booziness present with the malts and fruits. The flavor is similar. There is a big tobacco leaf or leather note from the oxidization. There is a good fruitiness that backs up to a light hop on the far back end. The mouth feel is lighter and well carbonated with a lingeringly malty, leathery aftertaste. Not too bad. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
thomashall (648) - New Hope, Minnesota, USA - DEC 14, 2014
Bottle shared by Ryan..big thanks! Pours dark brown. Strong bourbon aroma and a little nutty. Taste same with nice dry roasty finish. Aged really well. Really good....so glad I got to try this.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Bacterial (2822) - Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA - DEC 13, 2014
Bottle shared at Steazyís - thanks!! Thick black pour. Licorice, malt, some spices in there too. Nice.

Steasy66 (1116) - Minnesota, USA - DEC 13, 2014
Black, small tan head. Big roasty anise aroma. Flavor is full of anise, with a lot of chocolate.

BVery (9574) - Plymouth, Minnesota, USA - DEC 13, 2014
Bottle from Ryan - thanks! Wow, this is crazy old. Great to try! Molasses and soy. Rich all around. Dark pour with a slick palate. Very nice!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
slowrunner77 (10118) - Reno, Nevada, USA - SEP 23, 2014
"Definitely showed some signs of age, but has a lot of pleasant qualities as well. Bitter chocolate, slight licorice and coffee, and a charred smokiness in the aroma and flavor. Still pretty smooth, though the alcohol shows. Bitter hops and raisins in the finish. Long time wish list surprise."

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
BeerSquare (117) - - SEP 14, 2014
I just cracked open one of these that Iíve stored in my refrigerator since buying the six pack fresh when it came out. Aged great. Very complex syrupy raisin notes and a remarkable mouth feel-- carbonation is subtle but sharp, and it feels incredibly heavy, yet drinkable in a way that avoids any cloying. Flavor is just off the charts. . . a couple minutes after a sip, flavors are still developing into more of a sweet molasses / rich tobacco aura. Always risky keeping a beer as long as I kept this one. . . glad it worked out.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Prufrockstar (1980) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - AUG 9, 2014
Bottle shared with my wife. Pours thick, nearly black, mocha head with a few chunks in the latter half. Aroma: surprisingly muted. Thereís cardboard and dark fruit. Chocolate covered caramels that have sat in the box too long. Taste: cola; warmth; chocolate; age; molasses; hint of baking spice. Palate: Full- body; oily texture. Overall: this is intense, hard to drink fast, but surprisingly good for such an old beer. Can only imagine what it would have been like a few years ago. But, I didnít have a bottle a few years ago, and if the dude I got it from had drunk it I wouldnít have it now, and Iím glad to have this so I can muse about what it would have been in its day.