overall

RATINGS: 1251   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.53   SEASONAL: Autumn   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
A smooth, toasty brown ale, Best Brown Ale is a mainstay in our fall & winter lineup. With hints of caramel and cocoa, the malt body has the depth to stand up to cool weather, but does not come across as heavy. This balancing act is aided by the generous use of American hops.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
clvand0 (350) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - MAY 19, 2003
This beer pours a wonderful murky brown color with a small and uneven head that dies off quickly. It has a lot of little floaty things in it, which I am not used to with brown ales. The aroma reminds me of some type of nut - but I cannot figure out exactly what kind - and also malts. The taste is fairly smooth, but slightly watered down tasting - weird because it tastes watered down, but still has a rich flavor. Reminds me a lot of a chocolate stout because the taste has a very strong coffee/chocolate finish to it. This is not your typical brown ale. Not so sure I like this one. Of course, Bells brewery is not one of my favorites ... but I'm still looking for their shining one to make me change my mind - this just isn't that one. This is a decent beer, but I don't think it stacks up to other browns that I've had.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
MAP (1133) - Lakewood, Ohio, USA - MAY 1, 2003
Very unusual aroma, definately malty, but still a little different. Dark amber color, with the perfect white foam head. Taste is just top notch. Smooth all the way around from the malts. Personally, I would prefer more of a complex to this beer, its just too smooth until the very end, where there lies a slight bit of bitter taste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
dberger624 (1028) - Phila, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 27, 2003
Bottled. I tend to fing Browns kinda of boring. This one had a little more flavor going for it than you usual brown. Nothing fancy. Good drinkable beer.

gjamieson (80) - Canton, Georgia, USA - MAR 30, 2003
An excellent brew from an excellent brewer. The head was gone before the glass reached my lips, but the aroma and taste are fantastic. Good color and finish, not too heavy and finishes with a firm malty flavor. Leaves you ready for another, a great example of a brown ale.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
thedm (4948) - Fort Wayne, USA - MAR 23, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 4, 2003 This brew has a very nice malty aroma with a light head that disappeared before I could take my first taste. It was lightly carbonated with a caramel taste. It has a nice light brow transparent color and left a good lacing on the glass.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
amx1970390 (480) - Southampton, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 22, 2003
Rich malt aroma, murky brown in color, nice tan fluffy head. Nice nutty flavor (but not a fake nut flavor like rogue hazlenut). Finishes clean with a chocolate note in the aftertaste.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
007lund (92) - Ann Arbor, USA - MAR 14, 2003
I am quickly becoming a big Bell's fan. Another good beer from an underrated brewer. This beer was a puzzler to me- it was hard to place its aroma and palate. I still haven't figured out the aroma, but it has a very heavy body that starts off with a walnut taste and ends with a malty caramel flavor. A very good brown ale.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
awaller05 (305) - Sharon, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 2, 2003
Wow, poured this one in the glass and was assaulted with a beutiful brown ale. Brown ale is becoming one of my favorite styles and this on is at the top of the list of my favorite brews.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
JasonG (776) - Salt Lake City, Utah, USA - FEB 23, 2003
Pours out of the bottle a dark brown color, rather cloudy, with a large, creamy white head and lots of bubbles. Aroma is malty and creamy with a bit of sweetness coming through. The taste is very bitter when it's cold, let it warm up just a bit before drinking. Flavor is malty, with only a bit of sweetness, and a bitterness lurking throughout the taste that I just don't feel quite goes with the style. A thicker mouthfeel than some brews of this style, which helps soak up some of the bitterness. A decent brown ale, though not at all the best.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Nuffield (3691) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - FEB 17, 2003
Wow--having had so many dull variants on a brown ale theme, I was delighted by this. The cascade and laced head were excellent atop a decent walnut body. The flavor was bright and bold, nutty with plenty of malt. Dry, then sourness more pronounced as it warmed--I didn't care for that. Nice beer, especially within its style--another credit to Bells.