overall

RATINGS: 1208   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.53   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
A smooth, toasty brown ale, Best Brown Ale is a mainstay in our fall & winter lineup. With hints of caramel and cocoa, the malt body has the depth to stand up to cool weather, but does not come across as heavy. This balancing act is aided by the generous use of American hops.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
roder60 (1283) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 20, 2005
Pours a light brown with a foamy slightly offwhite head. Aroma is sweet and slightly carmaley. Flavor is very sweet, a bit spicy, very yeasty, and a bit nutty. Overall, not a fan.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Tubbfan (147) - Joliet, Illinois, USA - JAN 25, 2006
The first thing that struck me about this ale was the plethora of particles rising and sinking in my glass. Iíve seen this before, so it wasnít a shock, but then again, not something you see everyday. The appearance is a clear brown. Hhead dispersed quickly, but the lacing was good. Palate is only medium. I like my browns to be more full. Flavor is only OK, consisting of some malt. Not a lot of aroma. Overall, not terribly impressive.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
Cornfield (5452) - Oak Forest, Illinois, USA - SEP 14, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 23, 2005 Kind of a flat brown ale. I was disappointed, ícause the Kalamazoo folk turn out some fine ales. The coloring was a clear light brown, but there was little carbonation and almost no head. The aroma was neligible and the flavor was dull and uninteresting.

<font size=-4><a href=http://www.ratebeer.com/Places/ShowPlace.asp? Liquors, Oak Lawn, IL<font size=-1>

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
stison42 (318) - Blacksburg, Virginia, USA - AUG 26, 2008
Cloudy brown. Not much aroma. No head. Toasted malty taste that is so-so. No depth. No intrigue. Just a beer. Flavor and aroma not enough to want another.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
Stratford (14) - Illinois, USA - DEC 17, 2010
Nice brown. Havenít had too many yet but I could drink a few. It isnít all that complex though.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
BeerBlockaid (683) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - DEC 20, 2010
This is one of those rare moments when I disagree with a highly rated Bellís brew and go with a different brand. To start with, I dislike Brown Ales. However, I recently tried the Cigar City Brown Ale and was provided with hope. My dreams were dashed on this. The beer is ok, but not for me, afterall. Nose was sweet, slight malts and brown sugar. Taste was the same, but cloyingly sweet and miles out too sweet for me. It took away from the taste that could be drawn from this. oh well. I still love you Bellís.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
dimenhetfield (2487) - , Florida, USA - JAN 8, 2010
Letís see if I can describe this one is one in about five adjectives/words. Nutty,zesty,roasted flavors,toasty, and smooth. A very distinct color, brown with an almost purplish tint. This is a very different smelling brown ale, as well as the taste, but I love it.

1.4
   AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 3/20
BoostIPA (1198) - Pouring Bus, New York, USA - NOV 1, 2013
Ugh. Another turd from Bells. Can these guys do anything right? Pretty much no, unless itís a stout. Pours a deep mahogany with a tan head. Listless aroma of dirty unfiltered well water and mud. Taste is unsweetened baking chocolate minus the good part. This is like a half baked cake...