Bells Big Head San Diego Style Ale

overall
Formerly brewed at Bells Brewery
Style: Imperial IPA
Galesburg, Michigan USA

RATINGS: 152   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 332   ABV: 11.07%
What is San Diego Style Ale? It is an ale that’s made with more attitude than hops. And boy are there a lot of hops.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
masonjer (609) - Holt, Michigan, USA - APR 11, 2008
UPDATED: APR 21, 2008 Heard about this beer so I had to make a run down to K-Zoo to pick some up. Had a bottle last night. This stuff is intense! I will definitely need to re-rate this, now that I know what I am in for. Poured orange with a nice white head. Aroma was some nice ctirus and bready malt. Taste is huge resinous piney hops, some alcohol coming through, grassy and harsh. I think the hops were sticking to my teeth and tongue. Unlike hopslam, this was not particularly easy to drink. I think some will hate this beer. I, on the other hand, was strangely drawn to the punishement. Not to mention I felt glued to my couch after just one of them. I have never said this about an IPA before, but this beer might be slightly better in a month or two. Re-rate. Taste this again. It really changes as it warms up. A lot more floral notes come through.

thetrifecta (29) - Bell’s country, Michigan, USA - APR 10, 2008
12 oz. bottle, batch #K8369 sampled at Bell’s Eccentric Cafe’. A ridiculous punch in the face of Simcoe hops and alcohol heat. Came in at 11.07% alcohol and is supposed to be around 100 IBU’s, which sounds about right given the aroma, bitterness and overall hop flavor. Aroma is largely pine and citrus notes, with a little breadiness from the huge grain bill. "San Diego Style Ale" is obviously a pun towards certain San Diego breweries who seem to think only they know how to hop the living shit out of a beer, with wanton disregard for balance or palatability. The beer is almost cartoonish in nature and is a single release 15-BBL batch only for sale at Bell’s General Store and the Eccentric Cafe’. Cheers to Midwest HopHeads!