overall

RATINGS: 1502   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.48/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
This unique ale begins its life as a powerful and richly sweet stout to which Michigan tart cherries are added. The resulting black brew is complex, sweet and tart with a distinct cherry finish. It will improve with cellaring. Available September - May

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
ampp (155) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - MAY 12, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 16, 2005 This is a deep dark brown stout. The cherries are evident in the aroma, along with some chocolate. There is the typical roasted coffee flavor with a mixture of chocolate and cherries. The chocolate/cherry combination has a bit of a íprune juiceí flavor in the middle. It finishes with a slight coffee taste. This was interesting to drink, but I think I will stick with the basic stouts, chocolate stouts, and oatmeal stouts.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
meathookjones (245) - Sterling, Virginia, USA - MAY 7, 2005
My first Bells here finally having picked some up driving through Philly I was excited to finally try one of their brews. This poured out black with some red highlights and now head at all. The pour was not light either, just a few bubbles surfaced and no lace to had. Chocolate covered cherries are what I would say this smelled like. A fairly strong and simple nose to this. Cherry cough syrup anyone? This tastes like tart thick cherry juice that you might find in Robitussin. Way too tart and cherry like really taking away from any of the stout characteristics. Hmm there was a slight coffee after taste but even that isnít enough to help this brew. Medium and slick was the body on this. I donít think I will be trying this again anytime soon. Too bad I picked up 2 bottles, anyone want one?

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
auerbrau (3203) - Ithaca, New York, USA - MAY 5, 2005
UPDATED: OCT 28, 2009 Rich, black pour...with a lucious even brown head. Strong aroma of tart cherries and malt, backed with chocolate. Itís like a big whiff of Cherry Garcia in my nose. Cherries arenít subtle and dominate the flavor profile, starting sweet, then turning tart, and finishing off burnt and bitter. Interesting progression. A little too sour for me, but still a nice beer. Could use some dryness to round it off. This is going to be paired up with some chinese food, as strange as that may seem.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Blatz King (150) - Whitewater, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 4, 2005
Blackness throughout. Very chocolatey and fruity smell. Was very delicious with slight cherry flavor. Not the best Iíve ever had but with very good thanks to my buddy who let me try half of one....He could have gave me a whole one considering he erased my paper on my computer, but hey he gave me a sprecher Irish Stout but whatever.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
scraff (2121) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - MAY 4, 2005
Thick black pour with tints of red, thin tan creamy head. The nose held notes of roasted chocolate covered maraschino cherry with lesser tones of caramel and light hints of smoke. Flavor was ultra tart cherry up front with light roasted chocolate notes thrown in for good measure. Working through it, the beer remained lightly soured, tart, and bitter in the end. Light to medium bodied, light carbonation, tart cherry, roasty, bittersweet finish. I thought Michigan could do no wrong. Maybe Iím just missing something here?

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
csbosox (1229) - Prairie Village, Kansas, USA - APR 28, 2005
This was my first $10+ 6 pack several years (pre-RB) ago in the bachelor days, I liked the alcohol and flavor then. What will I think now? Pours dark bown/black with a reddish/tan head. The aroma is tart cherries. The flavor is tast cherries with a full mouthfeel. A bit of roasted malt, maybe. As it warms, you can taste the stout finish and it is quite a bit nicer and non-cloying. The finish is tart cherries. I guess Iíll take their advice and cellar some. Pretty thick.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
meadlover1959 (14) - Wisconsin, USA - APR 25, 2005
A nice dark beer with not a lot of head. Not one of my favorites. The dark, slightly bitter with the cherry reminded me way too much of cherry cough syrup.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
cigarsnbeer (146) - Valley City, North Dakota, USA - APR 24, 2005
very dark, with a reddish tan head. It is malty, however the cherrys give it a nice fresh tartness. It s a good beer, but I wouldnít want to drink it every day, especially at 14 bucks a sixer

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
richlikebeer (838) - Easton, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 21, 2005
thanks to bbb63 for the bottle, deep brown with scarlet highlights, a very small amount of tan head. sweet cherry and chocolate aroma, which is mirrored in the flavor. very thick and rich mouthfeel with a very tart cherry aftertaste lingering on the tounge for quite while. if it were possible to take a box of chocolate covered cherries and make a beer out of it, this is what you would have. thanks mike.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
mdi (573) - Nebraska, USA - APR 20, 2005
12oz bottle, Thanks to heemer77 for this bottle, Iíve wanted to try it, but whenever Iíve seen it, its been a 6er or nothing...at about $12-14/6er! too expensive for me to try, so thans a bunch E....fizzed a little dark tan head that did show a nice cherry red dimension, but that head quickly turned into nothing. Beer itself is opaque black in my glass. initial aroma is that of a cherry pie crust...and then it mixes in with some roastiness and chocolate tones. The beer is unique and does fascinate my a bit...as this is my second fruit beer of the night, it has depth which the previous sorely lacked (ducassis)...I will say that this beer "feels" wierd to me...greasy and sweet, Iíll bet those ants Iíve been trying to poison outside would eat this alive...or maybe thatís why theyíve been so unrelenting in their attempt to invade my house...they wanted cherry stout...well, soon it will be gone...so the beer? sweet, hops donít dare show up here...just a dash in the finish, but sweet dominates, with cherries...distinct for sure, and I actually like it, all though Iím not head over heels for it...its uniqueness is enough for me...maybe next time I see it Iíll grab a 6er and let them cellar...one or 2 a year would be about my quota on this one.