overall

RATINGS: 1431   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.48   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
This unique ale begins its life as a powerful and richly sweet stout to which Michigan tart cherries are added. The resulting black brew is complex, sweet and tart with a distinct cherry finish. It will improve with cellaring. Available September - May

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
shorlin (704) - St. John’s, Newfoundland, CANADA - DEC 17, 2002
This is black. Super-black. It makes ordinary black look beige. Little head, but the slight carb is a dark orangey-brown. Aroma is interesting. FIrst is the cherries which are right on top. Then, deeper in the aroma is some bitter coffee roastiness which is pretty subtle. Taste is more of the same. The mouthfeel starts very thin, but there is a loooooong dry finish there. Hard to know if I lke this beer, but it’s very different from other things I’ve tasted. Thanks arjan!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Prostman (1077) - Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 15, 2002
Way too tart...more like a kriek lambic than a stout. But still, I have to give these guys credit for producing some different beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
MaxPower (961) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - DEC 14, 2002
Dark brown cloudy color, small and thin brown head. Chocolate roastey malty cherry aroma. Sour cherry and coffee flavors, I don’t really care for fruity beers but this one is allright.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
baobubba (455) - Starkville, Mississippi, USA - DEC 7, 2002
Very dark and absolutely no head. Musty malted aroma, with a slight bit of cherries. Very tart roasted flavor, almost astringent. I would have liked this better if different cherries (less tart) were used and carbonation was better.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
loweredsixth (946) - Clovis, California, USA - DEC 6, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 13, 2003 Strong cherry aroma. At times, this stout gave off a slightly rotten aroma. I finally related it to the smell of a winery that is near my house...like fermented grapes (or cherries in this case). Nice flavor of cherries, malty sweetness, and alcohol. The feel is substantially thinner than I expected. I think a thicker stout might work better with the cherries.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
JCW (1275) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - DEC 6, 2002
Jet black in color. Aroma of cherries. The beer I’m rating is two years old, not nouveau. I’ve had the the nouveau and it definitely had a strong bite which for me was difficult to drink. This brew is complex almost reminds me of a port. It’s a great desert beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - DEC 5, 2002
Yikes! this is one tart tasty thing! Well, this one is simply described by me as: Fermented Chocolate Covered Cherries! almost mouth puckering, until some chocolate acts up and the dry(er) finish comes in. Very Interesting!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
herbjones (742) - Orange, California, USA - DEC 4, 2002
Bottled 2000/Tasted 12/02. Poured thick black and flat. Aroma is chocolatey but with a very tart edge. Flavor is the same as the nose a very mellow blend though. Definately better with age.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
mikejmadden99 (103) - Mountain Top, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 3, 2002
Deep dark in color, a sweet cheery chocolate smell and taste, a pretty good cherry stout my my tastes.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Duffbeer (192) - Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 3, 2002
I’m not a big fan of fruit beer, but this one is ok.