overall

RATINGS: 1375   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.47   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
This unique ale begins its life as a powerful and richly sweet stout to which Michigan tart cherries are added. The resulting black brew is complex, sweet and tart with a distinct cherry finish. It will improve with cellaring. Available September - May

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
BrownALEx (262) - Portland, Michigan, USA - APR 1, 2014
Pours black with a khaki head that disappears quickly. Fruit juice aroma. Taste is tart and sweet, not roasty enough, but who am I to tell Larry how to make beer. Will pass next time.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 12/20
AndyW68 (1022) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - MAR 30, 2014
Blacl pour with tan head. Aroma is sour. Taste is sweet and sour cherry. Not something I will look for, but an good example of what they were after.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Hammy78 (722) - Dundas, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 28, 2014
Bottle. Pours rather heady initially. Dark brown/black base. Nose is sour cherry. Tastes malty, sweet and a touch tart. What I would want from a beer like this.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Alextricity (509) - Michigan, USA - MAR 25, 2014
Bottled 10/08/13. Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint. Appearance: Pours pitch black with a pretty nice two finger mocha head. Lots of effervescence, causing the head to dissipate rather quickly. Minimal lacing. Looks decent, but the lack of a lasting head and some sticky lacing is disappointing. Smell: Really nice, and quite interesting with the combination of roast, cherries, and smoke. Taste/feel: Hm. I can understand the score discrepancies for this beer for sure. I was thinking this would be a great beer. Tart cherries in a nice roasty stout? Sounded great -- Iím left confused though. Hits the tongue initially with a nice tart cherry flavor with stout flavor behind it, but then after the swallow... I donít care for it. The tartness mixed with the bitterness from the roast and maybe the smoke creates a quite unpleasant sort of weird flavor dancing on my tongue that just wonít go away. But, that creates the urge to take another sip of this beer, which has a great split second first impression. That tart/bitterness battle in this particular beer just seems incredibly odd. It doesnít have that taste I associate with cough medicine, but it does have that medicinal feel because of that tart/bitter finish. I canít explain it better. I havenít had cherry juice on its own, but itís almost that tarty bitterness that I get out of cranberry juice, I guess? The feel is quite thin for a stout -- this would probably be more appropriately named a cherry porter. Carbonation is also pretty high. I thought Iíd be one of those people to rave about this beer, but it just doesnít sit on my tongue right. While itís foaming in my mouth before I finish the sip, it tastes great, but then the aftertaste comes and doesnít want to quit. Itís a beer I wanted to love, but honestly, Bellís missed the mark a little bit on this one. I love the tartness from the cherries since they make this quite a unique stout -- I think that should stay. Maybe take out the smokeyness? I donít know what would reduce that odd clash. All-in-all, I may try it again at the right price. $3 for a single is probably too high for me to buy it again, but itís a unique stout that needs to be tried at least once. *Sudden end note: As this beer warms up, the clash is quite a bit less significant. It seems to become more balanced. The smoke flavor accents everything very nicely. I was definitely drinking this at too cold of a temperature at first to fully enjoy the first half of the beer. Iíll be bumping up some of the scores slightly.* 3.55/5 straight from the fridge. 3.69/5 as it warms up a bit. Welp, that does it for the longest review in the history of BeerAdvocate. Cheers!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Nsanders (484) - St Paul, Minnesota, USA - MAR 22, 2014
Bottle. Black with a medium brown head. Tart cherry, roasted malts, light chocolate, light roasted coffee, and metallic aromas. Taste is tart with a sort of metallic aftertaste. Body is medium with a sticky feel. The tartness is nice, but the finish seems a little off.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
rumproasts (2734) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - MAR 20, 2014
bottle. Very deep brown with small head. Malty stout base with chocolate and big tart cherry flavor. Flavors meld nicely.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
peteinSD (1333) - San Diego, California, USA - MAR 19, 2014
Bottle from Sean - thanks! Black pour with a quickly fading tan head. Aroma is tart cherry with perhaps some malt sweetness and light chocolate. Taste is dominated by tart cherries with some sugary sweetness and background chocolate. Clean, lightly coating mouthfeel. Nice cherry stout although the tartness really runs away with the beer to the point where the stout aspects are lost.

0.9
   AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 1/20
klk343 (36) - - MAR 18, 2014
Very very dark with a light brown head. A bitter, sweet aroma. Tastes awful-like burnt charcoal and an old grill. Very bitter.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
BLeacHy (1) - Michigan, USA - MAR 16, 2014 does not count
I had this on tap in bellís beer garden, one keg was tart and the other was sweet.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
deaconmike (359) - Roswell, Georgia, USA - MAR 16, 2014
Bottle. Pours dark walnut with a large fizzy mocha head that disappears quickly. The aroma is sweet with the cherry coming through as well as chocolate and coffee notes; some caramel as well; candy apple? Taste is very sweet and tartness from the cherry juice provides a bite. The texture is slick; body seems perhaps a little thin. Overall, a good beer, but I think perhaps the cherry is a bit too powerful here for my taste.