overall

RATINGS: 1371   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.47   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
This unique ale begins its life as a powerful and richly sweet stout to which Michigan tart cherries are added. The resulting black brew is complex, sweet and tart with a distinct cherry finish. It will improve with cellaring. Available September - May

TOSG55's rating

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
TOSG55 (218) - Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA - NOV 27, 2013
Bottle. Pours a deep black with minimal head. Fairly mild aroma of chocolate and roast flavors - not much cherry on the nose. The cherry comes through strongly in the flavor, though, and is surprisingly tart. Itís supported by a sweeter malt backbone, with a lot of chocolate and some coffee on the finish. Not bad, a little odd.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
DuffMan (6167) - the land of bitumen, beef & beer, Alberta, CANADA - APR 22, 2014
Bottle, shared with Parksy. Hearty superdark brown with a tan head. Bitter chocolate and hard roast end on a tart acidic fruity finish. Excellent.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Mark_Eck (245) - - APR 21, 2014
Pours black. Aroma is cherries, roasted malts, and some chocolate. Taste is tart cherries followed by malts.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
pictoman (371) - British Columbia, CANADA - APR 18, 2014
Poured from 355mL bottle. Black with tan head. Roasted malt, coffee, and subtle sweet cherry aroma. Upon tasting it, I get the stout aspects and the cherry aspects, but it doesnít feel like it blends together that well. Got better as I kept drinking it and it warmed a little, but still something missing. Quite bitter/tart finish. Light-medium body.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
markducommun (101) - Wilmette, Illinois, USA - APR 16, 2014
Pretty jet black, tan head. Espresso, roasted dark chocolate, slight sour dark berry notes. Sour notes start, turns bitter finishes quite bitter. Heavy body, alcohol is reasonably present, slightly oily character. Close to excellent, but misses the mark, just not very well balanced. A bit less espresso bitterness would have made this excellent. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
jmccullough916 (7) - Athens, Georgia, USA - APR 14, 2014 does not count
12 oz bottle, served in a tulip glass Aroma is a little chalky, sweet, roasty. Taste is tart up front followed sweet chocolate and light roast. Sweet/sour finish. Creamy mouthfeel. Overall, this is a great beer. I would highly recommend it. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
arnold931 (195) - Iowa, USA - APR 3, 2014
Tap. Black with a tan head. You can taste the cherry. Not sure I like the sour aftertaste. I will have to give it another try since I like everything Bells puts out.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
BrownALEx (247) - Portland, Michigan, USA - APR 1, 2014
Pours black with a khaki head that disappears quickly. Fruit juice aroma. Taste is tart and sweet, not roasty enough, but who am I to tell Larry how to make beer. Will pass next time.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 12/20
AndyW68 (814) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - MAR 30, 2014
Blacl pour with tan head. Aroma is sour. Taste is sweet and sour cherry. Not something I will look for, but an good example of what they were after.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Hammy78 (700) - Dundas, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 28, 2014
Bottle. Pours rather heady initially. Dark brown/black base. Nose is sour cherry. Tastes malty, sweet and a touch tart. What I would want from a beer like this.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Alextricity (509) - Michigan, USA - MAR 25, 2014
Bottled 10/08/13. Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint. Appearance: Pours pitch black with a pretty nice two finger mocha head. Lots of effervescence, causing the head to dissipate rather quickly. Minimal lacing. Looks decent, but the lack of a lasting head and some sticky lacing is disappointing. Smell: Really nice, and quite interesting with the combination of roast, cherries, and smoke. Taste/feel: Hm. I can understand the score discrepancies for this beer for sure. I was thinking this would be a great beer. Tart cherries in a nice roasty stout? Sounded great -- Iím left confused though. Hits the tongue initially with a nice tart cherry flavor with stout flavor behind it, but then after the swallow... I donít care for it. The tartness mixed with the bitterness from the roast and maybe the smoke creates a quite unpleasant sort of weird flavor dancing on my tongue that just wonít go away. But, that creates the urge to take another sip of this beer, which has a great split second first impression. That tart/bitterness battle in this particular beer just seems incredibly odd. It doesnít have that taste I associate with cough medicine, but it does have that medicinal feel because of that tart/bitter finish. I canít explain it better. I havenít had cherry juice on its own, but itís almost that tarty bitterness that I get out of cranberry juice, I guess? The feel is quite thin for a stout -- this would probably be more appropriately named a cherry porter. Carbonation is also pretty high. I thought Iíd be one of those people to rave about this beer, but it just doesnít sit on my tongue right. While itís foaming in my mouth before I finish the sip, it tastes great, but then the aftertaste comes and doesnít want to quit. Itís a beer I wanted to love, but honestly, Bellís missed the mark a little bit on this one. I love the tartness from the cherries since they make this quite a unique stout -- I think that should stay. Maybe take out the smokeyness? I donít know what would reduce that odd clash. All-in-all, I may try it again at the right price. $3 for a single is probably too high for me to buy it again, but itís a unique stout that needs to be tried at least once. *Sudden end note: As this beer warms up, the clash is quite a bit less significant. It seems to become more balanced. The smoke flavor accents everything very nicely. I was definitely drinking this at too cold of a temperature at first to fully enjoy the first half of the beer. Iíll be bumping up some of the scores slightly.* 3.55/5 straight from the fridge. 3.69/5 as it warms up a bit. Welp, that does it for the longest review in the history of BeerAdvocate. Cheers!