overall

RATINGS: 957   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.54   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Consecrator is a traditional doppelbock-style fermented with a Bohemian lager yeast. Reddish brown in color, with a mild hop profile, Consecrator is a well balanced, full bodied beer with hints of caramel and molasses in its smooth, malty finish. Brewed for a Fat Tuesday release.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
jsquire (3499) - St. Marys, Ohio, USA - JAN 3, 2003
Very pretty amber color with a nice tight, tan head. Sherry flavors with faint roasty grains and a warming, alcohol finish. Nice caramel sweetness. Good body and well balanced.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
dukefan (214) - Dallas, Texas, USA - DEC 31, 2002
Stunning stuff. Full bodied, warming, sweet and a huge mouthful. There is no other Doppelbock I would ever want in my hand! Seasonal, so run to it in the spring!

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
labattblueleaf (225) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - DEC 22, 2002
Wasn’t that brazy about this. I’m half in the bag and this still didn’t have the gratest flaobro in the worl.d Frankyl, if is was totally sober I dodn’t know if i"d like this at all. Fairly strong hint of mollasses and caramel in this.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
khayman70 (154) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - DEC 18, 2002
A decent doppelbock. It does have a strange almost sour feel, but it was very good with choclate cake.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Kodos (200) - USA - DEC 1, 2002
Caramel colored large head, fruity/malt nose definately raisiney. This stuff tastes like.....Bleu Cheese!!! a strange combination of sour/fungus/sweet...Not something I really can say is good in a beer. Finishes with a bitter bite and then big alcohol. Ok, but not great.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
JoeM500 (1905) - Crown Point, Indiana, USA - OCT 31, 2002
I didn’t like this one! I keep detecting a "dumpster juice" aroma in American bocks and doppels. Some Brazil nut (yep, jigga-toez) and rotten fruit in there too. Malty, bland. ugh.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
DankbrewedDank (162) - East Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - OCT 12, 2002
Im just opening my first bottle now............................................... brown in color, a little darker than the Best Brown. The taste is......TASTY!! After drinking a few of these I still cant put my finger on what I am tasting. It definetly has a fruity taste. I will get this one again!.........OK kinda tastes like is has hints of raisens!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
heykevin (1277) - Decorah, Iowa, USA - SEP 11, 2002
Sampled a two year olad bottle last night. Attractive deep ruby with a persistant head and little cascading bubbles the entire glass. Sweet malt aroma. Smooth roasted matl flavor and caramel sweetness. Finish is decently dry. Extremely nice american doublebock.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
iwantalambic (1478) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - SEP 8, 2002
Light brown colour, with hints of ruby. Hints of nuts, clean and smooth, but not the great flavours I have come to expect from Bells.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Jokes (1453) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - SEP 7, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 10, 2004 After drinking a six pack this year, I felt a re-rate was in order. Hazy reddish copper with a thin, but sustained, off-white head. The aroma is quite pleasant and certainly malty. Sweet caramel and toffee, whole grains, toasted bread, a bit of chocolate, buttery nuts, raisins, sweet apples, warm alcohol and only a hint of hops. The body is pretty smooth and, at times, resembles a caramel apple. I know that doesn't make sense, as this is a liquid, but that's what I get. The malty body is quite nice--sweet, fruity, malty and complimented by notes of bread before finishing with a mild hop bitterness. Maybe I didn't understand the style before, or my sample was bad. Either way, this has made a remarkable improvement and become much more pleasing to me.

9/7/2002. 5/3/7/4/12 3.1 This was alright. Seemed to be light in color, being deep red. Caramel and perhaps some nut being prevalent. All in all, not bad, but perhaps not the best representative of Kalamazoo Brewing, in my opinion.