overall

RATINGS: 953   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.54   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Consecrator is a traditional doppelbock-style fermented with a Bohemian lager yeast. Reddish brown in color, with a mild hop profile, Consecrator is a well balanced, full bodied beer with hints of caramel and molasses in its smooth, malty finish. Brewed for a Fat Tuesday release.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Kodos (200) - USA - DEC 1, 2002
Caramel colored large head, fruity/malt nose definately raisiney. This stuff tastes like.....Bleu Cheese!!! a strange combination of sour/fungus/sweet...Not something I really can say is good in a beer. Finishes with a bitter bite and then big alcohol. Ok, but not great.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
JoeM500 (1905) - Crown Point, Indiana, USA - OCT 31, 2002
I didnít like this one! I keep detecting a "dumpster juice" aroma in American bocks and doppels. Some Brazil nut (yep, jigga-toez) and rotten fruit in there too. Malty, bland. ugh.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
DankbrewedDank (162) - East Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - OCT 12, 2002
Im just opening my first bottle now............................................... brown in color, a little darker than the Best Brown. The taste is......TASTY!! After drinking a few of these I still cant put my finger on what I am tasting. It definetly has a fruity taste. I will get this one again!.........OK kinda tastes like is has hints of raisens!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
heykevin (1276) - Decorah, Iowa, USA - SEP 11, 2002
Sampled a two year olad bottle last night. Attractive deep ruby with a persistant head and little cascading bubbles the entire glass. Sweet malt aroma. Smooth roasted matl flavor and caramel sweetness. Finish is decently dry. Extremely nice american doublebock.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
iwantalambic (1478) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - SEP 8, 2002
Light brown colour, with hints of ruby. Hints of nuts, clean and smooth, but not the great flavours I have come to expect from Bells.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Jokes (1453) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - SEP 7, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 10, 2004 After drinking a six pack this year, I felt a re-rate was in order. Hazy reddish copper with a thin, but sustained, off-white head. The aroma is quite pleasant and certainly malty. Sweet caramel and toffee, whole grains, toasted bread, a bit of chocolate, buttery nuts, raisins, sweet apples, warm alcohol and only a hint of hops. The body is pretty smooth and, at times, resembles a caramel apple. I know that doesn't make sense, as this is a liquid, but that's what I get. The malty body is quite nice--sweet, fruity, malty and complimented by notes of bread before finishing with a mild hop bitterness. Maybe I didn't understand the style before, or my sample was bad. Either way, this has made a remarkable improvement and become much more pleasing to me.

9/7/2002. 5/3/7/4/12 3.1 This was alright. Seemed to be light in color, being deep red. Caramel and perhaps some nut being prevalent. All in all, not bad, but perhaps not the best representative of Kalamazoo Brewing, in my opinion.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
jazz88 (2556) - San Francisco, California, USA - JUL 26, 2002
Bottle. A reddish brown color with a small light brown head and some rising bubbles. The aroma is damp with smoke and red fruit (wine). Malty, chewy,and some sour fruit flavors. Not many Bellís disappoint, but this one did.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
Inveigler (371) - Ferndale, Michigan, USA - MAY 24, 2002
I agree with a lot of the other comments. The smoked character of this beer is way out style. I am not sure if itís intentional or not. Nice maltiness, perhaps slightly over-hopped. Not on the top of the Bellís lineup. I just read my review and compared it with Henne sounds like weíre in two differenct camps. I thought the hops too much. And I thought the beer got better the further you went along. The smoked flavor is less perceptible further into the bottle.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Amber1 (32) - USA - MAY 21, 2002
nice bronze color, small head. there seems to be a strong smoky, astringent flavor, possibly from the malt. i donít really care for smoked flavor. this was my first bells beer, hopefully their others are better

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
hennes (934) - Fountain, Michigan, USA - MAY 20, 2002
Wow, sad that you got an infected bottle, VENOM, as this is really a decent beer. Itís alive with alcohol and yeast in the aroma, underwhiffs of spices (ginger?) and hints of the malt to come. Ah the malt! Robust, chewy, a touch sweet, edges of cinnamon and hops. Actually, itís not as hoppy as I would have expected of a Bellís dopple - kind of tame in that department. It seems to get thinner and sweeter as it goes, rather than bigger and richer, but that is a minor knock, because it starts out in such a grand place that if it does diminish, it diminishes to good beer.