overall

RATINGS: 356   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.75   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
Monster of a beer, shrouded in mystery, brewed once a year. This beer is hopped quadruple-strength, and exoticly spiced.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
inkubus27 (269) - highland, Indiana, USA - AUG 10, 2008
2004 Batch at GTMW. This is a beer Iíve always wanted and was really let down. The main thing that turned me off about this was the overwhelming alcohol presence. From the aroma to the taste to the burn down the back of your throat, this was just all about alcohol, and Iím guessing a lot of it. The good parts about it was the body and mouthfeel, other than that I wouldnít go out of my way to try this beer again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
bittermestupid (247) - Canton, Ohio, USA - MAY 28, 2011
Brown with a slight head. Smells of funk, raspberry, toffee and a good bit of spice. I taste raisins, brown sugar, and anise. This beer is very interesting and has alot going on with it. Mouthfeel is medium thick and the finish is sweet but yet tart and has a little booziness to it.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Cbuk1013 (246) - Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA - APR 18, 2013
Eccentric ale is a perfect name. There is ALOT going on in this beer This is one of the most complex beers Iíve ever had the pleasure to drink. Dark ruby appearance, with lots of flavors and aromas: figs, cherries, rum, toffee, licorice and raisins. Every vintage is a bit different as is every taste! This is a fun, fun beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Kathy (241) - Washington DC, USA - JUL 14, 2003
2000 vintage - Cloudy amber-brown color. Not much head. Floral/perfumey/spicy aroma (like nothing I've ever had before). Lemon drop in the aroma, too. Very spicy ginger and lemon flavor with a caramel finish. Strange. "Exotic." Odd. I respect it, and I rate it pretty well, but I'm not sure I like it that much. It's so different from anything I've had before. I'll have to have this again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
dukefan (214) - Dallas, Texas, USA - DEC 31, 2002
Only had one, soon after I purchased. My understanding is that this beer is made for aging, so I canít wait to review one I have that is 4-5 years old. Would not recommend drinking this without some serious aging.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Criz (206) - - DEC 26, 2013
2013 version on draft at the eccentric cafe. Deep amber color with no head. Nose similar to a holiday ale, spicy with coriander and nutmeg. Flavor is a little off, almost rusty. Semi dry on the palate,. Always enjoy trying this every year, but once will be enough on this years.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
MikeMac (185) - Wyandotte, Michigan, USA - JAN 13, 2006
Vintage 2004 thanks pailhead. Beep brow to deep red appearance. aroma was sweet with notes of Figs, dates and nutty. alc was definetly there with plenty of hop aroma. Mouthfeel was greater and richer than a usual barley wine. flavors were sweet fruity and rich carmel malt.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
brewolf (169) - Wilderness, WA, USA, - OCT 5, 2009
Bold spices and rich chocolate swirl with abundant hops in the nose. Dark brown pour with an ample beige head. Flavor is certainly spicy, with rosemary pushing to the forefront. Chocolate notes mix with a complex nuttiness, and then move towards the bitter hoppy finish. Mouthfeel is nice, but overall, goes down less smoothly than Iíd like it to. The rosemary is interesting, but overpowering for me. Iím very glad to have tried this one. Takes on an extremely quirky old ale essence to me. Commendations all around for stepping out of the box!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
rayl101 (163) - Brownstown, Michigan, USA - SEP 21, 2011
Rating #100 12oz bottle courtesy of northernbrews. Pours black with ruby highlights in my Samuel Smithís pint glass. half inch thick creamy tan head that leaves thick lacing. Aroma is chocolate, roasty coffee with hints of maple syrup. Flavor is much the same, with a full body, and a deceptively smooth finish for 12% abv

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
DankbrewedDank (162) - East Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - DEC 13, 2002
2002 batch:Wow. This is killer stuff. Because they only sell this one day of the year at the brewery only, I had make a little journey. This was a whopping 25 dollars a six pack. The guy at Bells said it had 1000 dollars of corriander seeds in the batch. The taste of this brew is very strange and complex. So is its aroma. The only thing my taste buds can discern is the hops. All the other crazy flavors are a mystery to me. All I know is that its good.