RATINGS: 356   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.75/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
Monster of a beer, shrouded in mystery, brewed once a year. This beer is hopped quadruple-strength, and exoticly spiced.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
3fourths (8804) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - MAR 8, 2007
UPDATED: SEP 13, 2008 2004 version, sampled at the Larry Bell dinner at Brickskellar. Weird beer. One of the weirdest I’ve ever had. Looks like a porter, dark brown with some burgundy red light seeping through the bottom of the glass. Peppery ginger and mint nose, almost like a bad ginger cola or something. I was not drawn to the smell at all, and the more I drank the less I liked it. The spicy mint/ginger almost resembles horseradish and wasabi at times. Has the body of an imperial stout, quite thick, low carbonation, but that doesn’t make up for the mess of flavors that this beer has (I know that’s the point, but it just doesn’t taste good). Has some smoked meat notes as well, with some cloying molasses on the back end. 3.2

Blind rating. 2004 bottle, batch 6714. Thick, viscous body, dark brown cola colored body. Intense nose of cardamom bread and maple syrup scented bourbon. Seedy tree bark and green cardamom, thick maple throughout, viscous, full, spicy and sage-like, some tingly pepperiness, weird, overdone chewiness. Ginger, too. Not sure what’s going on in this one. I don’t really like it, seems like juniper/gin. Oxidized and stale, some cardboard, some old ale-like wateriness and staleness. Boozy nose is too much to handle.
6/4/6/3/14 = 3.3

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
dukefan (214) - Dallas, Texas, USA - DEC 31, 2002
Only had one, soon after I purchased. My understanding is that this beer is made for aging, so I can’t wait to review one I have that is 4-5 years old. Would not recommend drinking this without some serious aging.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
jskendzel (602) - Washington DC, USA - JAN 1, 2003
Bitter, sweet, tart, wild...I cringed when I first took my sip. AustinMilbarge sipped first and exclaimed "oh wow!" Drank day after purchasing--definitely need to age this one. Medicinal, bitter, harsh! Lots of hops and right now unbalanced. Reminds me of Old Crustacean, which was the only other beer I can remember to jolt me so much. Tastes like pine sap.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
TheBeerGod (5689) - Newport News, Virginia, USA - APR 25, 2004
Thanks to jeffin7 for bringing this to When Continents Collide 2! Cloudy brown with almost no head. Nose is odd, but has fruit, some alcohol and hops standing out to me. Taste is more fruit and spice with the hop character coming forward a little more. Thick bodied with a spicily hopped finish. Do I understand correctly that this recipe changes yearly?

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
ElGaucho (2329) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - SEP 6, 2004
2004 GTM. High alcohol aroma. Thick, murky, not much head. Off-white head. Knock your socks off flavor. Eccentric pretty much sums it up. Tangy, sour, high alcohol. Almost like a barley wine. Tastes like there is wine poured into the beer. Both the aroma and flavor are very complex. Not sure I really like it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
BuckNaked (1230) - Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - JAN 11, 2006
Bottle courtesy of pailhead (big thanks): Bottle conditioned. Pours to an opaque dark brown that almost has some blood red notes to the edges (no it doesn’t look at all like blood). When held to the light it appears in shades of dark brown, ruby, and then straw going towards the edges. Medium particles of yeast are visable in the bottom of the glass. The aroma is roasted caramel, grade B maple syrup, honey, nuts, plums, apples, light alcohol, fruity yeast, mild carrots, and bit of tiny vinous grapes. The taste is sticky sweet pears & plums, but also a roasted/burnt caramel, maple bark, maple syrup, honey-covered nuts, fruity yeast, a hint of salt penuts, hints of apricots, and stewardofgondor gets it right when he says brandy sautéed almonds, and a hint of cocoa. Mediumj-full bodied, medium carbonation, sticky mouthfeel that is just slightly syrupy. Finishes with dry cocoa, maple sap, and a hint of plums later out. I was very excited to try this and it’s decent, but the flavors just don’t work in the end.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
timsilvia32 (449) - from Michigan now in Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - NOV 4, 2007
Eccentric about sums it up. It’s just a mess of flavors, you name it, its in there. I thought it was waaay overboard. In all reality, I think that is their goal with this. Quite pungent. Had the 98 version, which may be quite different than now. Many of Bells beers have changed since they’ve lost their microbrew status.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Art (2534) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 23, 2013
Sweet beer shared at voodoo. Figgy goodness. Decent drinker. Good in the cold. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
mwbrady12 (469) - Orlando, Florida, USA - MAY 18, 2013
Strong aroma with a dark, dirty pour, huge alcohol taste and a complex, changing mouthfeel. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
AirForceHops (5030) - Epping, New Hampshire, USA - MAY 24, 2015
12 oz bottle Willrunforbeer got in a trade. This is a 2012 vintage. The aroma is very nice, spiced yams, molasses/maple syrup, cinnamon and nutmeg.

The body is medium with a sticky syrup texture, heavily spice and a near match of the aroma. Slightly off note in the finish. I think this should have been consumed much sooner. Not one to age, maybe the "off" flavor is oxidation setting in. But for me it wasn’t bad just overly spiced.