overall

RATINGS: 2698   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.28   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
One of the earliest examples of the Russian Imperial Stout in the United States, Expedition Stout offers immensely complex flavors crafted specifically with vintage aging in mind, as its profile will continue to mature and develop over the years. A huge malt body is matched to a heady blend of chocolate, dark fruits, and other aromas. Intensely bitter in its early months, the flavors will slowly meld and grow in depth as the beer ages.
Available October-March.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
NYHarvey (2153) - New York, New York, USA - MAY 19, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 23, 2005 Thanks to Matta for this most appreciated b-day gift. If it is true that high viscosity oil helps protect engine parts from thermal breakdown then I am now ready for a trip to the sun. Talk about thick! It really does make glup sounds as it plops into the bottle. I love stouts and porters, but I tend not to like Imperial Stouts. This IS while a dream to look at and having near perfect mouthfeel, was too much for my tastebuds. The huge level of hops and burnt malty flavors just overwhelm me. I know some folks canít get enough, but then some folks like the taste of oysters and soy sauce. It is definitely a very unique beer which is why I rate it highly, but I personally would never seek out another.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Ughsmash (7092) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 17, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 2, 2005 Poured a powerful opaque black with thin caramel head. Aroma consisted of a massive amount of roasted coffee and chocolate malts. Coffee, chocolate, caramel, nutmeg, and a hint of cinnamon assaulted the taste buds. The complexity of this beer enveloped and assaulted each and every one of my taste buds. There was bitterness from the hops and the dark chocolate... roasted chocolate and coffee from the malts... and various spices. Very well balanced. Beer was creamy and thick, almost to the point of being chewy. Aftertaste was as if I just finished a fine cup of coffee or some espresso... only the warming effect was not from the temperature of the beverage :) Fantastic!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
StewardofGondor (1934) - Washington Heights - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 10, 2005
UPDATED: OCT 13, 2005 Bumping this blessed beer up a point in flavor because it is consistently one of the best damn beers on Godís green earth. The original review...

Oh yeah. Thick ass pour and black as night. I think I even saw some sediment chunk out near the end. Head looks like a spider web thinly stretched over dewed grass in the morning, with some skittish tan coloring along the inside edge of the snifter. Aroma is laden with roasted malt, molasses, dark chocolate and charred hazelnuts. Rich, rich, rich. Hits the mouth and is thick and delicious. Roasted malts are prominently featured. Flavoring suggests slow-dripped French roast coffee. Taste evolves from the initial dark, semi-sweet chocolate visage to a creamy milk chocolate complexity in the aftertaste. Bells has nearly achieved perfection with this one. Splendid bitterness with a malt backbone so thick that you could eat this with a spoon. Sinisterly dense as can be. Slowly oozes across the palate. I bet my teeth will now permanently bare marks inflicted by this mother load.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
DarkElf (3033) - La Jolla, California, USA - MAY 8, 2005
(12 oz bottles: Obtained in trades with Goblincat and hopsrus, thanks Mike and John!) Back when I lived in DC, my Bud-swilling buddy used to call any dark beer "motor oil." He has no idea. This brew pours with such thick viscosity, it may well be actual motor oil. I mean, Kalamazoo is only a few hours from the Motor City, right? He should see this stuff. Totally black in color. I turn on a bright light and hold the beer up to it. Nothing. Absolutely and totally impenetrable, even at the edges of the glass. For a few seconds, there isn’t even a hint of a head, but slowly, it builds to about an eighth of an inch. Light brown in color, but very small and a bit dissappointing. Fades away to a small halo before I even take my first sip. The nose is amazing though. Quite roasty, a bit hoppy, and a fair amount of alcohol, but what hits me the most is the earthy, mushroomy aroma, which is one of my favorite aromas in a beer. It’s a perfect lead in for my first taste. Whoa! Massive roast, very bitter but twice as sweet. Underlying the huge roast is that earthy, mushroomy flavor, pretty strong in its own right, but still nearly overwhelmed by the roast, but it’s this earthiness that really makes this one of top Imperial Stouts. Intense, dark fruit, like prune but more intense. Molasses. Fairly smoky in the finish. There’s so much flavor, I don’t think it matters what you’ve had to eat or drink before this, Expedition will obliterate it from your palate, and prevent you from tasting anything else for hours. Rich, sticky, and thick mouthfeel, coats every crevice of the mouth. Nearly syrupy, but not thick enough to slowly slide down the glass which I’ve seen with a few Imperial Stouts along the way. Lots of alcohol in the flavor and nose, I think I’m already feeling it in my head. I’m gonna have a slight buzz by the time I finish this glass, I know it. I love Imperial Stouts, but now that I’ve had Expedition, Speedway and Peche Mortel, I know for sure that this isn’t my favorite style of beer. Close, but not my favorite. Perhaps Expedition is a bit too "palate bashing", but this is still an incredible beer in almost all respects.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
meathookjones (245) - Sterling, Virginia, USA - MAY 7, 2005
The poured out an opaque ink black with a huge brown head I had to sip to keep from spilling over the glass. Great retention and chunks of lace left decorating the glass as I consumed this. Aroma is thick with dark chocolate and roasty coffee as well as a touch of fruit and some other unidentifiables. I will have to try and figure out more with my other bottle. The flavor was similar with a strong chocolate taste and notes of roasted malt and espresso. Dark fruits were also in the mix as well as some earthy hops. The finish was a mixed of roasted malts, hop bitterness and a slight alcohol bit. Excellent all around flavor that I couldnít ask any more of. Mouthfeel is full and creamy. Damn good drinkability here. Great all around Russian Imperial Stout that is near the top of my favorites.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
Incubus1981 (12) - Michigan, USA - MAY 7, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 15, 2005 Pours black like espresso with a thin but lasting brown head. Aroma scared me a bit at first because I detected some kind of weird olive smell, but that melted away to roasty chocolate and coffee, toffee, again lots of dark chocolate. Flavor is very potent, bitter chocolate, roasted malt, coffee, with a slight sweetness. Other, subtler flavors present, but they were overpowered to the point that I couldnít really identify them. Long bitter aftertaste. Feels full, smooth, and thick in the mouth with just enough carbonation. Very bitter, though, in the aftertaste, to the point that I couldnít finish an entire 12-oz. bottle. Itís almost like drinking espresso- a little is more than enough.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
scraff (2121) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - MAY 2, 2005
Motor oil black pour, super thick dark tan head. The aroma just canít get any better if youíre an Impy Stout fan. Rich and complex nose of dark chocolate, caramel, roasted coffee, vanilla bean, and brown sugar, with an underlying tone of ruby port. The flavor is a near perfect balance with huge dark chocolate, coffee, and caramel notes up front, nice bitter hoppiness spread throughout, and more sweet darkened malt again in the end. 11%+ ABV is expertly hidden. Ultra full bodied and thick, pillow soft carbonation, bittersweet finish. Not really sure how you can get better then this. Unreal!!

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
dm9831 (1512) - Monee, Illinois, USA - MAY 1, 2005
brown head, rich brown color, impervious to light. strong flovor, with a hint of wood aging. however, it leavs a fruity aftertaste. a walking around aftertaste (it took me a long time to shake it).

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
RAYBOY01 (2012) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 1, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 29, 2006 Deep rich roasted malty beer with strong caramel, toffee, and dark chocolate. Very strong alcohol presence in the lingering finish. Good work once again from these guys.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
pootzboy (1578) - Hawgville, Ontario, CANADA - APR 29, 2005
12oz bottle... 2 years old. Decanted like pitch black tar...incredible cocoa colored cap..moderate lace, soft carbonation. Aroma comes from Gambrinusí own grace: like honey mixed with capuccino, prunes and a slight musty hay smell. The body is like liquid gluten ...but smooth!!. This brew lends credit to the term "chewy malts" . A glorious burst of cocoa, coffee, dried fruit and citrus peel in the front and middle, then the finish is slightly salty and warming...un-Fín-believable!! Wadda brew.