overall

RATINGS: 2925   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.28/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
One of the earliest examples of the Russian Imperial Stout in the United States, Expedition Stout offers immensely complex flavors crafted specifically with vintage aging in mind, as its profile will continue to mature and develop over the years. A huge malt body is matched to a heady blend of chocolate, dark fruits, and other aromas. Intensely bitter in its early months, the flavors will slowly meld and grow in depth as the beer ages.
Available October-March.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
chimney (9) - Houston, Texas, USA - MAY 28, 2006 does not count
poured a thick black syrup like consistancy with almost no, but dark roasted brown for what there was, head. after giving the glass a slight tilt it clung to the glass like syrup but looked like a dark brown coffee. the aroma was strong of molasses with a nice roasted mild coffee scent. the flavor started with a heavy sweet molasses flavor and finished longly with a moderate to heavy sweet coffee flavor. as for the palate, it was a wonderful full body with a syrup like texture and almost no carbonation, but did lighten up when pressed against the back of the mouth with the tounge. the flavor started awsome and only got better as it slowly warmed up while being sipped out of a brandy snifter. over all it was an awsome beer at a wonderful price, though a little scarry to buy by the six pack, and i will have to get it again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
zebracakes (1339) - Washington DC, USA - MAY 28, 2006
Bottle. Wow. Pours like molasses with barely a dark tan head-I was actually a little scared. Aroma is malt, chocolate, espresso and caramel. This is an incredible beer. Super complex flavor that lingers and gracefully exits. I taste chocolate, espresso, molasses, caramel, malt..........this is such a smooth stout....I only sense a bit of the alcohol toward the end as Iím left with a satisfying warmth. Amazing.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
starfireming (309) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - MAY 27, 2006
Totally opaque beer, aroma of vinegar and soy sauce. Very nice palate. Surprisingly sweet flavour for such a hoppy beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
maniac (3800) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - MAY 27, 2006
Dark black color brown head, beautiful lacing. Aroma of caramel, fruit, and sweet hops. Sweet flavor, some fruit, caramel, and light bittering. Thanks to Numenor for his trading to get this to Richmond

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Numenor (871) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - MAY 27, 2006
UPDATED: MAY 28, 2006 Thanks to CaptainCougar for sending this amazing brew in our latest trade.; Perfectly black body, with a thin dark brown head. Great aroma, nice toffee, roasted nuts, chocolate. Syrup like body, coffee, caramel and other dark fruits such as black cherry. Nice ending, thick and complex.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
undsioux7 (870) - Eden Prairie, Minnesota, USA - MAY 26, 2006
UPDATED: JUL 11, 2006 Pours blacker then the night with a small brown/grey head that disapears quickly. Lots of hop smell with roasted chocolate. Smooth and syrupy feel on the palette. Taste is coffee, caramel & much more. Finishes very sweet with burn. Too sweet for my tastes, but great complexity. Re-rate. About the same as before, but less coffe taste, orange bittersweet chocolate.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
reedcd2 (47) - USA - MAY 24, 2006
I mean, thereís not much to say that hasnít been said about this beer. Absolutely delicious. This was the 4th stout courtesy of Zeswaft and it was awesome. Couldnít stop smelling it the whole time I was drinking it. tons of flavor - gotta try it to believe it. Best beer I have ever had yet.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
beastiefan2k (3212) - Emerald City (formely NYC & KS), Washington, USA - MAY 22, 2006
UPDATED: FEB 26, 2015 Bottle thanks to OhioDad. This is as black as it gets. Pours with no head just a bit of brown lacing. The smell is very hoppy, some roastiness in the background. Overall the hops over shadow the rest of the smell. The taste is extremely sweet, again hoppy. Very light body for such a beer. Extremely sweet, the sweet RIS I have ever tried. good bitterness at the end. Alcohol burn felt in throat as well.8/4/9/3/16

8, 6, 9 re-rate time, get low, get low ྫ/30/07). I always thought I overdid it on my first rating and I always remembered it as a bit too think hoppy stout and I always wanted to revisits. Which I did in a blind tasting recently, and if I remember correctly it did not score well (but really none of them did). This is batch 7740, which seems to be about a year old right now. It pours black hole black with a small brown head, so far just like it was originally. Aroma is super strong, it is very strong on grassy, piney, green leaf hops which are nose itching. Beneath that is pretty strong molasses and oily sticky syrup. Just from the aroma I can see why this is so highly rates, it is so not subtle. For me the taste is just super dominated by hops, which is cool but just not my bag of tricks. The really cool thing about this beer is the mouthfeel, definitely not like the previous time I had this. Itís super viscous and thick, feels like my mouth is covered with film. Long bitter aftertaste.8/4/7/5/16.

Lets try it again. Batch, 8728 bottled on September 16, 2008, so itís about 6 months old. Pretty similar except the hops are a lot more West Coast aggressive with citrus, grapefruit, and tropical fruits. Very bitter on the nose. Otherwise its pretty similar to my previous rating. Rating stays the same.

Bottle gifted from Indra, thanks Eric. Batch 6672, so almost 5 years old. It is headless at this point. The hops have died down. Basically, a chocolate watery drink. Alcohol is still present throughout. Would not give this 5 years at all without knowing what it is fresh. The age, alcohol, and light roast make it come off as light licorice and anise.

Beer #6 of 13 in blind tasting.
1.5 year old bottle. Thick pour with a head (heads were not common in the tasting). Head quickly fades. Came off as industrial, astringently bitter, acrid black malt-centric. Just astringent and strong. In hindsight, despite my relatively high ratings, I never really enjoyed this beer. I am happy to be more secure in rating it lower. 6/3/6/3/12.
In the aggregate, it fell slightly below average.

Final score is aggregate across ratings.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
keoki182 (305) - West Bend, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 21, 2006
I had tried Bellís Expedition Stout once before, but had only remembered that it was thicker than most stouts I have had. I bought another 12 oz bottle a week ago with the sole intent to sample it again and review it on ratebeer.com. The pour was akin to a bottle of Hersheyís chocolate syrup or perhaps motor oil sludging its way downwards into the waiting pint glass. Once the pour was complete, the glass looked like a pint of expresso, medium brown foam attached. The beer itself smells like the playground bully at Stout School: deep roasted malts, hops, chocolate, raisins, and probably 20 other foods that I cannot even identify. The first sip was jarring to all 5 of my senses plus 3 or 4 that I didnít even know I had. Explosions of bitterness, chocolate, smoky flavors! There is no arguing that this beerís taste is complex. In my humble opinion, the flavor is just too abrasive for my liking. I certainly respect and appreciate what the brewers at Bellís have accomplished with their Expedition Stout, but the truth is is that I enjoy easier- drinking stouts. I had to rate the overall score according to my own enjoyment while drinking it, and I just didnít feel that it was pleasantly drinkable.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Ty5592 (1018) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 20, 2006
UPDATED: AUG 17, 2007 This is one of the best beers I have ever tasted!! Black with no head. Has sweet roasted coffee flavor with smooth creamy aftertaste. Very complex beer. A must try for any REAL beer drinker. Thanks Ryan for the bottle!!