overall

RATINGS: 2817   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.28   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
One of the earliest examples of the Russian Imperial Stout in the United States, Expedition Stout offers immensely complex flavors crafted specifically with vintage aging in mind, as its profile will continue to mature and develop over the years. A huge malt body is matched to a heady blend of chocolate, dark fruits, and other aromas. Intensely bitter in its early months, the flavors will slowly meld and grow in depth as the beer ages.
Available October-March.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Fearless99 (14) - Oregon, USA - NOV 29, 2005
Pours very thick, people say motor oil, but this is darker. tan head. Hints of coffee and chocolate. Could notice the high alcohol, but it wasnt overpowering the flavor. Roasted barley flavors are powerful throughout, and the taste lingers. Did I say it was thick?

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
beermakefat (3) - PAW PAW, Michigan, USA - NOV 28, 2005 does not count
excellent. my favorite brewery by far. perfect thickness. aroma is not as strong as the flavor which is misleading. too bad its so expensive or my fridge would be stock full.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 5/20
UnsofistaCat (239) - Garden City, Michigan, USA - NOV 27, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 15, 2005 I think I figured out what I dont like about these Imperial Stouts- too much damn alcohol. gross. I just had the Kalamazoo Stout by bells and loved it. But then I crack open one of these things and I have to control my gag reflex. And its not just because Im a wimp either. I enjoy some of the high alcohol Belgians. Its official, I hate Imperial Stout. This thing tastes like stout mixed with perfume and vodka.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
SB (334) - Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 24, 2005
UPDATED: JUN 7, 2010 From Bottle packaged on February 25, 2006 (aged since 2006 in my cellar). Re-rated (June 7, 2010). Poured like a good motor oil. Pitch black. No head. Strong coffee, chocolate, hop aroma. Flavor hits you with chocolate, and malts, coffee in the middle, finishing up with fruity cherries. Texture thin. Finish is a little astringent and bitter. This one is a sipper still after 4 years. Still as good now as it was then.
From Bottle

Poured motor oil black, georgous tan head, quickly disappaiting. Aroma of rich roasted coffee. Taste of roasted coffee with hints of dark chocolate. Mildly bitter aftertaste. Thick, just like a stout should be. Perfect for a cold winter night, such as tonight. 11.5% alcohol completely hidden. Palate is lingering, and creamy mouthful. Again, Bells proves why they are becoming one of my favorite brews

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
LePoopie (151) - Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 22, 2005
Wonderful aroma to it, I could just sniff it all day. Nice full, dark color to it. Deep, coffee flavor, tastes very good. Thick, full body, with little carbonation to get in the way. This is a very good beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
dhlesq (233) - Thousand Oaks, California, USA - NOV 20, 2005
Vinous aroma of chocolate, coffee, plum, and roasty malt. Appears a thick, opaque chocolate brown with deep brown creamy head that dissipates immediately. Flavor is absolutely huge and vinous, with chocolate syrup notes over big roasted malt. Palate is thick, syrupy, creamy and lingering. Overall, this beer delivers a knock-out punch and it is not at all what I expected, even with the highest ratings. It is also equal to the sum of its parts. My thanks to Joeybgood for this tasty brew.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
fordest (2017) - Santee/San Diego, California, USA - NOV 15, 2005
Bottle thanks to Kramer17801. Thanks a lot!. This stuff is super dark. No light getting through here. Brown head is darker than most beers. Aromas were perfect chocolate and coffee and toffee and other dark malts. The flavors were chocoalte and alcohol. Nice hoppy finish to make me a happy beer drinker tonight.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 20/20
bethmatt0421 (337) - Covington, Kentucky, USA - NOV 13, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 21, 2008 12oz bottle. The aroma is strong of dark chocolate, and just a hint of grapefruit. Taste is of dark chocolate and grapefruit, roasted coffee. Full bodied, sticky textured. This beer is truly great. It just proves that Bells is one of the best. Two thumbs up.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
sbrewno (49) - Frankfort, Illinois, USA - NOV 11, 2005
MMMM. Is this beer or 10W-30? Clearly htis beefr is not clear. Wow. Black. Like when I used to have to change the oil with my Dad on Saturday morning. This is the used shit. I love this beer come wintertime and cold, cold, winds here in Chicago. Booyaa!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
hippie4beer (162) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - NOV 11, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 23, 2005 Pours a dark as dark black. small brown head. The aroma is a beautiful chocolate and coffee. Mouthfeel is an oily, thick feeling with a finish that is half alcohol and half coffee/choclate. I love this stout. One of my favorites!