overall

RATINGS: 3049   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.28/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
One of the earliest examples of the Russian Imperial Stout in the United States, Expedition Stout offers immensely complex flavors crafted specifically with vintage aging in mind, as its profile will continue to mature and develop over the years. A huge malt body is matched to a heady blend of chocolate, dark fruits, and other aromas. Intensely bitter in its early months, the flavors will slowly meld and grow in depth as the beer ages.
Available October-March.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
JB175 (1665) - Bucks County, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 24, 2006
UPDATED: DEC 16, 2007 200th Rating!!! Bottle - Batch 7251. Deep, Black as night pour with dark caramel-colored head. wonderful aroma of toasty-malt, caramel-sweetness, and choco-coffee. Deep, rich, European chocolate-roasty taste with a great mouthfeel. Dances on the pallet. Wow! This beats not only most after dinner beers, but probably any dessert out there. Will have to grab more for the winter and future years.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
POD (198) - USA - OCT 24, 2006
This stout came highly recommended to me. As of this writing itís listed as the #9 beer on the Rate Beer Top 50. This stout poured like motor oil with a burnt umber hue. The 2 finger brown foam head burst with heavy roast malt aroma and spices. As the brew warmed to room temp within my mug, the aromas tantalized me to a point where I couldnít wait for my first sip. My oral cavity was greeted with silky smooth sweet blasts of coffee, malt and chocolate swirling in a pool of hoppy goodness. With each sip I tasted more and more carmel and coffee. A long lingering rich roast carmel aftertaste allowed plent of time to nurse this wonderful Imperial. This is one of the best best beers that Iíve drank to date. I will consume more of these as I relax in front of my fireplace this winter. My highest recommendation!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Naven (1000) - Poway, California, USA - OCT 23, 2006
Wow. What a fine beverage this is. Dark as night - smells like a barrel of coffee beans and malt. First sip is velvety, sweet and hoppy. Undertones are strong delicious malts mixed with coffee and chocolate. I can honestly say that this is one of top stouts I have ever had, possibly only trumped by Speedway stout and Dark Lord. I actually think I like this better than the Dark Lord. Itís that good.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
WeeHeavySD (3379) - Portland, Oregon, USA - OCT 22, 2006
12 oz bottle. Courtesy of KAME. Long awaited enjoying this brew with a friend who longed to have it as much as me. This brew was well worth the wait. Pours an extremely thick black body with a small thin brown head that quickly dissipated. The aroma was intense and potent with notes of coffee and smoke. The taste matched the aroma but was even more delicious with a very roasty coffee and caramel vibe. The taste filled my mouth and a smoky roasty feeling stayed with me long after each sip. This beer has a great full mouth feel. The aftertaste helps emphasize the fantastic deliciousness of this brew. Get it if you can and enjoy as long as possible.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
aarossell (151) - Grandville, Michigan, USA - OCT 18, 2006
Blackest pour. Strong smell, very complicated aroma / flavor. Coffee, Dark roasted fruits, nuts, and spicy hops. Very strong malt combination. Quite a drink. Canít stand more than one bottle. This is a sharer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
roder60 (1289) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 14, 2006
Pours a thick jet black color with a medium amount of heavy whipped dark brown head. Never seen head this dark before. Roasted malt aroma with some bitter sweetness, maybe sour cherries, and a bit of mocha cofee. Flavor is very bitter and coffeeish. Mouthfeel extremely heavy. Like drinking a bitter mocha drink.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
cheap (5305) - Beaver Valley, Beaver County, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 13, 2006
UPDATED: MAR 21, 2009 Scary black or dark brown die appearance. I thought I was ruining my three stooges glass. Very creamy smooth terribly bitter taste. Is this beer? Somewhat like cherries or plums soaked in whiskey. Very little if any carbonation. Did you ever chew freeze dried coffee or burnt dark roasted coffee beans?......eeeeeeeeow. Naturally astringent bitterness clinging long after the finish, wonít go away. Every sip a little bit tuffer to swallow. Use a shotglass for this. Wow, I thought Lion stout was bbbaddahhh. I think the oil in my shovel head harley must taste like this when I drain it out, smells the same. Youíll love this if you like to torture yourself. Ideal with a rrrreeeeeal strong cigar like an Avo or CAO dark. Was hoping my first beer above a site rated 4 would be a better experience than this. Will not buy again. Terribly overrated.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
trdant (2) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - OCT 13, 2006 does not count
Repeat after me. I will never drink a better tasting beer. Even though the alcohol content is high, it does not distract from enjoying the experience.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Gimpycane (1) - ada, Ohio, USA - OCT 3, 2006 does not count
This Russian Imperial Stout rules. On a night when I had several stouts to compare to Bellís Expedition Stout came on top. Poured a thick black motor oil w/ a 1 2/2 inch mocha brown head. The sight made me think I was going to drinking a cuban expresso. The aroma was amazing and well balanced, sweet molasses, strong coffee and a vicious alcohol scent. The scent of alcohol doesnít disappoint as it also lingers in your mouth forever w/ a thick full body syrupy feeling. At 11.5% ABV, this brew doesnít play around and itís great for sipping.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
spclerk (47) - Minnesota, USA - OCT 2, 2006
This is one of the best beers Iíve ever had. It is absolutely essential that you drink this beer (have I got to the 75 character count yet)? Sorry, this is just one of those beers you canít put into words. Just drink it.