RATINGS: 3064   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.28/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
One of the earliest examples of the Russian Imperial Stout in the United States, Expedition Stout offers immensely complex flavors crafted specifically with vintage aging in mind, as its profile will continue to mature and develop over the years. A huge malt body is matched to a heady blend of chocolate, dark fruits, and other aromas. Intensely bitter in its early months, the flavors will slowly meld and grow in depth as the beer ages.
Available October-March.

RollinHard (1024) - Fort Worth, Texas, USA - OCT 26, 2006
You know, Iíve been reading various reviews for this beer for a long time, and now I finally get to try it. I honestly thought the comments about how dark it is were exaggerating, but man, they are so justified! This beer is noticably darker than Great Divideís Yeti, which seemed tough for me to imagine. Itís also thicker. Anyway, the head on this was huge, but thatís cause I poured way too fast. The head forms very slow, so be carful. Aroma is full-on cocoa, and brownie mix. As time goes by, I notice some pungent herbal hop scent, caramel, something vaguely sour, or even cheesey, and then as the beer is room temperature, raisins and alcohol. Great and strong aroma. Taste follows a similar course, only even more powerful. All kinds of dark chocolate flavors swirling around, and a definite brownie/cakemix taste too. Excellent! I was surprised how well the malt sweetness transitioned into the hop bitterness. The flavors became roastier, the hops were woody bitter, and still herbal. Finish lasted forever too. Basically, there was no fault to this beer at all, I loved every aspect about it. 1 6-pack was all I was allowed to order at the time, but there will be more! So awesome.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
blkitson (158) - Westerville, Ohio, USA - OCT 26, 2006
This baby in the glass is blacker than the ace of spades. Smells good, taste good for a stout. Itís kind of heavy but I can live with that. Not something that I would drink everyday. Excellent stout.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Cliff (355) - The Land of Milk and Honey, Ohio, USA - OCT 26, 2006
thanks to sprinkle for this bottle, holy hell, this sucker poured motor oil black, and i mean black with a thick brown head. aromas of coffee, toffee, roasted marshmellow. this creamy mouthfeel with a pungent roasted flavor, delicious, backed up with copious amounts of hops. great finish that lingered. this was a meal in a snifter. bellís beers donít do to much for me but this one was great.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
brauen (25) - Crown Point, Indiana, USA - OCT 24, 2006
UPDATED: OCT 25, 2006 BIG BEER! Very dark almost opaqe color, dark tan head. Smells of roated malts coco and toffee, very hoppy also. Tastes incredible, can be overpowering if you try and drink it in haste. Definatly sit back and enojy this great stout.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
swoopjones (7020) - Buffalo, New York, USA - OCT 24, 2006
12oz Bottle @ Coles, Buffalo NY. Black as can be & better than advertised. Huge malt-chocolate-coffee. Definately a sipper that you want to savor for a while. Canít wait for the next trip to Chicaco so I can go back to Sams & load up again

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
JB175 (1665) - Bucks County, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 24, 2006
UPDATED: DEC 16, 2007 200th Rating!!! Bottle - Batch 7251. Deep, Black as night pour with dark caramel-colored head. wonderful aroma of toasty-malt, caramel-sweetness, and choco-coffee. Deep, rich, European chocolate-roasty taste with a great mouthfeel. Dances on the pallet. Wow! This beats not only most after dinner beers, but probably any dessert out there. Will have to grab more for the winter and future years.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
POD (198) - USA - OCT 24, 2006
This stout came highly recommended to me. As of this writing itís listed as the #9 beer on the Rate Beer Top 50. This stout poured like motor oil with a burnt umber hue. The 2 finger brown foam head burst with heavy roast malt aroma and spices. As the brew warmed to room temp within my mug, the aromas tantalized me to a point where I couldnít wait for my first sip. My oral cavity was greeted with silky smooth sweet blasts of coffee, malt and chocolate swirling in a pool of hoppy goodness. With each sip I tasted more and more carmel and coffee. A long lingering rich roast carmel aftertaste allowed plent of time to nurse this wonderful Imperial. This is one of the best best beers that Iíve drank to date. I will consume more of these as I relax in front of my fireplace this winter. My highest recommendation!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Naven (1000) - Poway, California, USA - OCT 23, 2006
Wow. What a fine beverage this is. Dark as night - smells like a barrel of coffee beans and malt. First sip is velvety, sweet and hoppy. Undertones are strong delicious malts mixed with coffee and chocolate. I can honestly say that this is one of top stouts I have ever had, possibly only trumped by Speedway stout and Dark Lord. I actually think I like this better than the Dark Lord. Itís that good.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
WeeHeavySD (3380) - Portland, Oregon, USA - OCT 22, 2006
12 oz bottle. Courtesy of KAME. Long awaited enjoying this brew with a friend who longed to have it as much as me. This brew was well worth the wait. Pours an extremely thick black body with a small thin brown head that quickly dissipated. The aroma was intense and potent with notes of coffee and smoke. The taste matched the aroma but was even more delicious with a very roasty coffee and caramel vibe. The taste filled my mouth and a smoky roasty feeling stayed with me long after each sip. This beer has a great full mouth feel. The aftertaste helps emphasize the fantastic deliciousness of this brew. Get it if you can and enjoy as long as possible.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
aarossell (151) - Grandville, Michigan, USA - OCT 18, 2006
Blackest pour. Strong smell, very complicated aroma / flavor. Coffee, Dark roasted fruits, nuts, and spicy hops. Very strong malt combination. Quite a drink. Canít stand more than one bottle. This is a sharer.