overall

RATINGS: 2696   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.28   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
One of the earliest examples of the Russian Imperial Stout in the United States, Expedition Stout offers immensely complex flavors crafted specifically with vintage aging in mind, as its profile will continue to mature and develop over the years. A huge malt body is matched to a heady blend of chocolate, dark fruits, and other aromas. Intensely bitter in its early months, the flavors will slowly meld and grow in depth as the beer ages.
Available October-March.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
pineypower (2479) - Pine Barrens, New Jersey, USA - NOV 16, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 17, 2004 Pours out a dark black with a thickness like that of crude oil. Right off the bat you can smell a nice complex aroma of chocolate and a touch of hop. The taste is very complex with notes of chocolate, malts and then some coffee with a nice finish of hops. A wonderful brew and even better enjoyed with a nice heavy cigar.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Odeed (1775) - Bakersfield, California, USA - NOV 11, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 4, 2009 first off thanks to atpayne for the bottle. now its rating time!!!! poured out like motor oil with no head at all.smelled like cherries and a bit of citurs.as for the flavor....?DAMN!very complex.starts out with a bit of cherries,then malts,then chocolate,then coffe,and a bit of hops at the end.this is outstanding!i need more!!!!!!! BOTTLE FROM BBB63)black body with brown highlights around the glass.no head to speak of.aroma has melted together perfectly.i pick up chocolate,dark fruit,cherry,coffee,roasted malts,and brownies.flavor mixes up the aroma along with powdered cocoa and some oxidation.mouthfeel is silky smooth and i cant detect any alcohol at all.seems like it may be a bit past its prime,but its still really damn good.(BOTTLE FROM APRIL OF 2005,RATED MAY OF 2007)WOW....DID I SAY WOW!?CUZ I MEANT IT.this must be right around its prime cuz i cant see it getting any better than this.everything has come together very nicely.its a damn good thing i have another bottle.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
rudolf (2340) - Buffalo, New York, USA - NOV 9, 2004
Pure black with a frothy hot chocolate head. Sweetish nose - milk chocolate, caramel, some piney hop. Absolutely beautiful creamy body. Flavor is extremely sweet, rich chocolaty malt. Mint, piney hops, milk. Spicy alcohol finish. A smoother & more complex Old Rasputin. I’d love to do a homebrew along the lines of this.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
hellomynameis (874) - Mayer, Minnesota, USA - NOV 3, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 10, 2006 The aroma is very chocolaty with the darkest head I’ve ever seen. It is very opaque black with a large rocky head. This beer was excitign to sip! Lots of malt with a nice bitter hop aftertaste. It was super creamy and got better as it warmed.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
pobenohne (504) - Northern Liberties, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 27, 2004
Bottle. Squeezed in between a Ruination and a Crustacean. Kick butt, malty, earthy, bready, smoked, sweet aroma. Thick, chewy brew, not much head (that should have tipped me off to the alc content), thin lace. Will have to come back to this again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Grandpa (327) - Verona, New York, USA - OCT 19, 2004
I gotta be honest, my eyes are dim, my hearing is attenuated and my sense of smell is mostly gone. I have been given every beer I rated a 5 in the aroma category so as not to give an advantage based on undetectable (for me) qualities. Here I make an exception. How else can I give a score that this beer deserves? It had a tight, dark head with staying power. The hops balanced the burnt grain caramel sweetness to give a stong taste that was also smooth. The mouth was left with hints of chocolate and coffee. I drank it slowly to prolong the experience but will hurry out to obtain some more.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
NobleSquirrel (3437) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - OCT 17, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 10, 2009 Bottle at the Pub. What can I say. Each day, Imperial Stouts grow more and more on me. After being tricked the first time, I asked for this beer and it was found. Like the holy grail, I was in awe. Well, maybe not. But I was very happy to see that compassed bottle brought my way. Kalamzoo’s bigger, more badass brother. The first thing I noticed when I poured the first 10oz into my glass was the wonderful and amazing aroma. It smelled like the kind of perfume that I would love on a girl. More on that in a minute as I indulge the appearance. Pours like used motor oil with no head, just oil slicks. Now, how does it smell you ask? Like a dream. Smells fruity from afar, like plums dipped in milk chocolate. Also smells like tropical fruits and flowers. Wow. This was the most amazing smelling beer I’ve ever had. On initial taste, this beer was active as fuck. Amazingly complex, so much so that I was unable to pick out everything, but I tried. Burnt malts, malted milkshakes, some pepper. A little hairspray when it was still a bit too cold, but that went away. Tasted like it smelled in the first pass of the scent, like apples and plums. Anise presence is notable, as well as caramel and berries, and a bitterness that I associated with orange peel. Similarly, had a huge mouthfeel, like oil. Far thicker than Raspy, perhaps the heaviest beer I’ve ever had...The mouthfeel was chewy like a chocolate chip cookie dipped in alcoholic coffee. Simply fantastic.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
IndianaRed (2313) - Boise, Idaho, USA - OCT 12, 2004
UPDATED: OCT 20, 2004 Bottle Pours a opaque black with the darkest very think head I have ever seen. Aroma is not so smokey but more hopy and notes of grass or wood. Flavor is of bitter sweet choclate, charcoal and a little molassas. The comercial description of "5 times the hops" of the kalamazoo stout is no lie. In fact I would say that this is the only specific attribute that put me off from higher marks. The palate is unbeliveable though. The butteriest slickest feel I've had to date. Shared it with two beer buddies but non-RBers and we gasped and laughed as I poured our glasses. Viscosity is just crazy and it sloshed in the glass like 10W-30. This was my favorite part. Thanks a ton to MrFacto for sending this, the highest rated beer I've had.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Walt (2449) - Austin, Texas, USA - OCT 7, 2004
2001 bottle: Poured thick viscous black with zero head...smelled of chocolate, butter, and phenols...tastes roasted malts, chocolate but predominately sweetness from alcohol...finish is all alcohol sweetness...aging definately brought the alcohol out in this one...great, but maybe 2 years is better than 3...

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
jcanj (23) - Michigan, USA - OCT 7, 2004
Bell’s sure does it right when it comes to beer. This is their top. So very smooth and so very black. Roasted malts, chocolate and coffee make a wonderful stout that no one should be disappointed in. This will for sure keep you warm on a cold winters night.