overall

RATINGS: 2878   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.28/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
One of the earliest examples of the Russian Imperial Stout in the United States, Expedition Stout offers immensely complex flavors crafted specifically with vintage aging in mind, as its profile will continue to mature and develop over the years. A huge malt body is matched to a heady blend of chocolate, dark fruits, and other aromas. Intensely bitter in its early months, the flavors will slowly meld and grow in depth as the beer ages.
Available October-March.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
mnurda (1222) - Winnipeg, Manitoba, CANADA - DEC 18, 2005
I am new to Stout, but quite enjoyed this one. Great chocolate smell and very tasty.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Eladerman (82) - Newburgh, Indiana, USA - DEC 18, 2005
This is a very full flavored imp stout. It has all the best qualities of the style. You canít go wrong with this beer. Outstanding indeed !! Chocolatey, rich, with a complex blend of coffe and roated malts with just the right sweetness and bitteness. A great beer!!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
IslandHaole (1174) - Mililani, Hawaii, USA - DEC 18, 2005
Thanks to my Secret Santa FooFaa for this treat! Black as tar with a small milk chocolate colored foamy head. Ooohh, the smellÖ..you just know itís gonna be so damned good when it smells this rich! Itís still quite cold being pulled from my cellar (the crawlspace under my house) and itís about 20 out tonight, BrrrrrÖ.I will let it sit for a few moments and warm up a bit. No indication of the DOP on the bottle so Iím not sure if itís a young hoppy rascal or a smooth older more refined brew. Time to find out! Sweet nearly a syrupy quality to it. Just an amazing quantity of malts, the scents youíd expect from a quality stout, Dark Chocolate, Coffee, raisins, prunes just more intense than in your average stout. A floral, spicy hop presence and rich port wine, straight from the French Oak barrelÖ.man this smells good! Oh Nirvana, I have attained theeÖ..an ambrosia of rich fruit flavors, thick and nearly chewy. Thereís just so much going on in each sip, it nearly overwhelms the tastebudsÖ..Chocolate covered cherries, that is what first comes to mind, followed by the sweet nectar that I remember as a child, picking the small red flowers from Bottlebrush trees and licking the sweet sticky ends of them, a strong floral hop bitterness but it meshes oh so nicely with the other flavors. The rich Port wine come through also, a deliciously decadent sweet dessert sipper. Lip smackingly wonderful, Iím down to the last third of the glass and already wondering how I can get another bottle. My long relationship with Belgian Ales as my favorite style has come to an end. I have decided to run away with Impy.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
tlitt2 (58) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - DEC 18, 2005
This beer made me feel kinda funny, like when we used to climb the rope in gym class. Yeah, it almost made me erect... it looked that good. The darkest beer Iíve ever had... juxtaposed beautifully with itís creamy orange/ tan head. Smells of roasted things- coffee, chocolate, dark fruits. Deep within itís complex aroma I even spotted Burlap. I thought this was crazy untill I read a Micheal Jackson beer review of a Imperial stout and he used Burlap as a term to describe it as well. Flavor very similar to Rogue imperial stout- but the added complexity of bitter chocolate and coffee to balance out the raisiny qualities. Simply amazing.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ericmc83 (207) - Arkansas, USA - DEC 17, 2005
Courtesy of Kramer. Pitch black and oily on the pour. Huge chocolate aroma with some roastiness in there as well..and a small hint of fruit I believe. Gigantic flavor. Up front is the soft, oily mouthfeel full of chocolate, and later comes the bittereness. Quite a bit of bitterness. Age this for a while and this would be the most delicious thing Iíve ever tasted.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
MrWalker (926) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - DEC 16, 2005
Bottle Thanks for trade, jsquire.
Aroma of hops, dark chocolate, burnt bacon and soy sauce. Pretty much reflected in taste with addition of vanilla fudge and a bit of black pepper. Pretty complex lady, this one. Long lingering pleasant and warming aftertaste.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
monty (39) - Dallas, Texas, USA - DEC 15, 2005
Kalamazoo Expedition Stout. 13 December 2005. Bottle (1 yr old). This never gets old. In classic I.S. fashion, there is the thinnest of heads, dark oily brown. You can tell this is thick on the pour - the last drops just hang, dribbling out one at a time. This is one of the chocolatiest stouts ever, dominating the aroma. Deep coffee flavors, with some tart cherries in the background. The mouthfeel on this is great: vinous, full and heavy, but oily enough that it slides over the tounge. Last few sips roll heavy in the glass...

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
sandwichpants (117) - Royal Oak, Michigan, USA - DEC 12, 2005
This beer suprised me a lot. The aroma first off, much hoppier than I would have guessed, almost the dark fruit "flavor" that one finds in barley wines and such, but in the aroma! Though less "stout" aroma than it could have. Mine was a little flat, so not much head, but it was the darkest head Iíve seen. Flavour is wonderful, complex, diverse from roastyness to fruitiness, lots of sweetness. It might be a tad too syrupy for me in flavor and feel. Minor faults in an astounding beer!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
HoppyBunny (88) - Temptation, Michigan, USA - DEC 12, 2005
Ok, so it has been awhile, but I must say somethings never sadden you when you pop them open and obtain that beautiful deep color and smell the richness in the aroma. Has a hoppy taste for such a dark beer... yummy!!!

julrey (32) - Austin, Texas, USA - DEC 9, 2005
My scores are going to be largely out of line with everyone elses, but my only explanation for this is that the Expedition may be a hit-and-miss beer. This is my first time experiencing it so itís possible I stumbled across one of their better batches aged for just long enough to blend the flavors perfectly. Anyway, disclaimer out of the way, here we go: Pours pitch black with a gorgeous (almost edible) milk chocolate head, with dense packs of carb bubbles clinging seductively to the sides of the glass. Smells of brown sugar, molasses, a touch of black licorice, and dark malt, all of which blends into a bouquet far more inviting and less intrusive than other beers of this abv magnitude. Mouthfeel is thick and viscous, very milkshake like, leaving a sticky coating on the lips and tongue. Cholocate and sugars predominant up front followed by dark roasted malt on finish. Superb flavoring - all other ingredients whiffed before drinking blend so well into the chocolate and malt as to be almost individually imperceptible. Alcohol is unbelievably well hidden, probably the best that Iíve ever seen for this strong of a brew. Although the alcohol does eventually make its presence known, itís more in the "gullet burn" than in the taste. You really have to be looking for it on the tongue to even realize itís there. No perceptible way to improve this beer at all in my eyes, so perfect 5.0ís all around. I do believe this one has slipped into my top 5. I plan on having more very soon so weíll see if the honeymoon period lasts.