overall

RATINGS: 2802   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.28   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
One of the earliest examples of the Russian Imperial Stout in the United States, Expedition Stout offers immensely complex flavors crafted specifically with vintage aging in mind, as its profile will continue to mature and develop over the years. A huge malt body is matched to a heady blend of chocolate, dark fruits, and other aromas. Intensely bitter in its early months, the flavors will slowly meld and grow in depth as the beer ages.
Available October-March.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
ahole (38) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 29, 2005
Almost zero head...Motor oil color. Rich and creamy mouth feel, interrupted by a slight nip of carbonation, coating the tongue with roasted malt aftertaste. Starts sweet on the tongue but rapidly contorts to a strong bitter malty flavor. Definate chocolate and coffee presence. This beer has a very heavy feel to it. Very good!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Firemoose15 (567) - Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 27, 2005
Out of a bottle,thanks rich,aroma chocolate,coffee,roasty. Beautiful black color chocolate foamy head. Taste was great chocolate, coffee, roasted malts. Finish was dry with a bitter note. Definitely asked to be drank more and I was more than willing. Damn good hoping for more.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
SwedeDog (364) - Windsor, Connecticut, USA - MAY 24, 2005
Bottle Finally, my 100th rating. Pours beautiful and black. Thick and black. Lots of sediment at the bottom. Aroma was good, albeit a little weak for an impy stout. It had the typical smell of chocolate, coffee, licorice, and chocolate covered cherries. First sip ... boy is that roasty. Loads of roasted malts in there. At first, it finishes very dry from the malts and a slight hint of hops in the background. Toward the second half of the bottle, it gets a little sweeter, and thereís tastes of dark chocolate and dark fruits. Like all impy stouts, the mouthfeel is full and chewy. It reminded me a lot of Brooklyn Black Chocolate, but a little dryer and roastier. Donít get me wrong, this was good, but the roastiness was a bit over the top. Thanks to <a href="http://www.ratebeer.com/ViewUser.asp?Us slob for the awesome trade!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
beerbuzzmontreal (3490) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - MAY 23, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 7, 2005 Pours a pitch black color, thereís absolutly no highlights at all, it looks like a liquid black hole, on top of this black entity rests a little light brown ring of lace. Excellent aroma of thick, round, rich roasted malt, chocolate and subdued alcohol. Amazing flavor of rich roasted malt,chocolate with a strong bitter finish. The body is medium with a dry texture, the carbonation level is moderate. Thatís an amazing imperial stout, many thanks to csbosox for sending this.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
NYHarvey (2153) - New York, New York, USA - MAY 19, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 23, 2005 Thanks to Matta for this most appreciated b-day gift. If it is true that high viscosity oil helps protect engine parts from thermal breakdown then I am now ready for a trip to the sun. Talk about thick! It really does make glup sounds as it plops into the bottle. I love stouts and porters, but I tend not to like Imperial Stouts. This IS while a dream to look at and having near perfect mouthfeel, was too much for my tastebuds. The huge level of hops and burnt malty flavors just overwhelm me. I know some folks canít get enough, but then some folks like the taste of oysters and soy sauce. It is definitely a very unique beer which is why I rate it highly, but I personally would never seek out another.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Ughsmash (7253) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 17, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 2, 2005 Poured a powerful opaque black with thin caramel head. Aroma consisted of a massive amount of roasted coffee and chocolate malts. Coffee, chocolate, caramel, nutmeg, and a hint of cinnamon assaulted the taste buds. The complexity of this beer enveloped and assaulted each and every one of my taste buds. There was bitterness from the hops and the dark chocolate... roasted chocolate and coffee from the malts... and various spices. Very well balanced. Beer was creamy and thick, almost to the point of being chewy. Aftertaste was as if I just finished a fine cup of coffee or some espresso... only the warming effect was not from the temperature of the beverage :) Fantastic!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
StewardofGondor (1934) - Washington Heights - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 10, 2005
UPDATED: OCT 13, 2005 Bumping this blessed beer up a point in flavor because it is consistently one of the best damn beers on Godís green earth. The original review...

Oh yeah. Thick ass pour and black as night. I think I even saw some sediment chunk out near the end. Head looks like a spider web thinly stretched over dewed grass in the morning, with some skittish tan coloring along the inside edge of the snifter. Aroma is laden with roasted malt, molasses, dark chocolate and charred hazelnuts. Rich, rich, rich. Hits the mouth and is thick and delicious. Roasted malts are prominently featured. Flavoring suggests slow-dripped French roast coffee. Taste evolves from the initial dark, semi-sweet chocolate visage to a creamy milk chocolate complexity in the aftertaste. Bells has nearly achieved perfection with this one. Splendid bitterness with a malt backbone so thick that you could eat this with a spoon. Sinisterly dense as can be. Slowly oozes across the palate. I bet my teeth will now permanently bare marks inflicted by this mother load.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
DarkElf (3038) - La Jolla, California, USA - MAY 8, 2005
(12 oz bottles: Obtained in trades with Goblincat and hopsrus, thanks Mike and John!) Back when I lived in DC, my Bud-swilling buddy used to call any dark beer "motor oil." He has no idea. This brew pours with such thick viscosity, it may well be actual motor oil. I mean, Kalamazoo is only a few hours from the Motor City, right? He should see this stuff. Totally black in color. I turn on a bright light and hold the beer up to it. Nothing. Absolutely and totally impenetrable, even at the edges of the glass. For a few seconds, there isn’t even a hint of a head, but slowly, it builds to about an eighth of an inch. Light brown in color, but very small and a bit dissappointing. Fades away to a small halo before I even take my first sip. The nose is amazing though. Quite roasty, a bit hoppy, and a fair amount of alcohol, but what hits me the most is the earthy, mushroomy aroma, which is one of my favorite aromas in a beer. It’s a perfect lead in for my first taste. Whoa! Massive roast, very bitter but twice as sweet. Underlying the huge roast is that earthy, mushroomy flavor, pretty strong in its own right, but still nearly overwhelmed by the roast, but it’s this earthiness that really makes this one of top Imperial Stouts. Intense, dark fruit, like prune but more intense. Molasses. Fairly smoky in the finish. There’s so much flavor, I don’t think it matters what you’ve had to eat or drink before this, Expedition will obliterate it from your palate, and prevent you from tasting anything else for hours. Rich, sticky, and thick mouthfeel, coats every crevice of the mouth. Nearly syrupy, but not thick enough to slowly slide down the glass which I’ve seen with a few Imperial Stouts along the way. Lots of alcohol in the flavor and nose, I think I’m already feeling it in my head. I’m gonna have a slight buzz by the time I finish this glass, I know it. I love Imperial Stouts, but now that I’ve had Expedition, Speedway and Peche Mortel, I know for sure that this isn’t my favorite style of beer. Close, but not my favorite. Perhaps Expedition is a bit too "palate bashing", but this is still an incredible beer in almost all respects.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
meathookjones (245) - Sterling, Virginia, USA - MAY 7, 2005
The poured out an opaque ink black with a huge brown head I had to sip to keep from spilling over the glass. Great retention and chunks of lace left decorating the glass as I consumed this. Aroma is thick with dark chocolate and roasty coffee as well as a touch of fruit and some other unidentifiables. I will have to try and figure out more with my other bottle. The flavor was similar with a strong chocolate taste and notes of roasted malt and espresso. Dark fruits were also in the mix as well as some earthy hops. The finish was a mixed of roasted malts, hop bitterness and a slight alcohol bit. Excellent all around flavor that I couldnít ask any more of. Mouthfeel is full and creamy. Damn good drinkability here. Great all around Russian Imperial Stout that is near the top of my favorites.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
Incubus1981 (12) - Michigan, USA - MAY 7, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 15, 2005 Pours black like espresso with a thin but lasting brown head. Aroma scared me a bit at first because I detected some kind of weird olive smell, but that melted away to roasty chocolate and coffee, toffee, again lots of dark chocolate. Flavor is very potent, bitter chocolate, roasted malt, coffee, with a slight sweetness. Other, subtler flavors present, but they were overpowered to the point that I couldnít really identify them. Long bitter aftertaste. Feels full, smooth, and thick in the mouth with just enough carbonation. Very bitter, though, in the aftertaste, to the point that I couldnít finish an entire 12-oz. bottle. Itís almost like drinking espresso- a little is more than enough.