overall

RATINGS: 2701   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.28   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
One of the earliest examples of the Russian Imperial Stout in the United States, Expedition Stout offers immensely complex flavors crafted specifically with vintage aging in mind, as its profile will continue to mature and develop over the years. A huge malt body is matched to a heady blend of chocolate, dark fruits, and other aromas. Intensely bitter in its early months, the flavors will slowly meld and grow in depth as the beer ages.
Available October-March.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Grandpa (327) - Verona, New York, USA - OCT 19, 2004
I gotta be honest, my eyes are dim, my hearing is attenuated and my sense of smell is mostly gone. I have been given every beer I rated a 5 in the aroma category so as not to give an advantage based on undetectable (for me) qualities. Here I make an exception. How else can I give a score that this beer deserves? It had a tight, dark head with staying power. The hops balanced the burnt grain caramel sweetness to give a stong taste that was also smooth. The mouth was left with hints of chocolate and coffee. I drank it slowly to prolong the experience but will hurry out to obtain some more.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
NobleSquirrel (3437) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - OCT 17, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 10, 2009 Bottle at the Pub. What can I say. Each day, Imperial Stouts grow more and more on me. After being tricked the first time, I asked for this beer and it was found. Like the holy grail, I was in awe. Well, maybe not. But I was very happy to see that compassed bottle brought my way. Kalamzoos bigger, more badass brother. The first thing I noticed when I poured the first 10oz into my glass was the wonderful and amazing aroma. It smelled like the kind of perfume that I would love on a girl. More on that in a minute as I indulge the appearance. Pours like used motor oil with no head, just oil slicks. Now, how does it smell you ask? Like a dream. Smells fruity from afar, like plums dipped in milk chocolate. Also smells like tropical fruits and flowers. Wow. This was the most amazing smelling beer Ive ever had. On initial taste, this beer was active as fuck. Amazingly complex, so much so that I was unable to pick out everything, but I tried. Burnt malts, malted milkshakes, some pepper. A little hairspray when it was still a bit too cold, but that went away. Tasted like it smelled in the first pass of the scent, like apples and plums. Anise presence is notable, as well as caramel and berries, and a bitterness that I associated with orange peel. Similarly, had a huge mouthfeel, like oil. Far thicker than Raspy, perhaps the heaviest beer Ive ever had...The mouthfeel was chewy like a chocolate chip cookie dipped in alcoholic coffee. Simply fantastic.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
IndianaRed (2330) - Boise, Idaho, USA - OCT 12, 2004
UPDATED: OCT 20, 2004 Bottle Pours a opaque black with the darkest very think head I have ever seen. Aroma is not so smokey but more hopy and notes of grass or wood. Flavor is of bitter sweet choclate, charcoal and a little molassas. The comercial description of "5 times the hops" of the kalamazoo stout is no lie. In fact I would say that this is the only specific attribute that put me off from higher marks. The palate is unbeliveable though. The butteriest slickest feel I've had to date. Shared it with two beer buddies but non-RBers and we gasped and laughed as I poured our glasses. Viscosity is just crazy and it sloshed in the glass like 10W-30. This was my favorite part. Thanks a ton to MrFacto for sending this, the highest rated beer I've had.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Walt (2449) - Austin, Texas, USA - OCT 7, 2004
2001 bottle: Poured thick viscous black with zero head...smelled of chocolate, butter, and phenols...tastes roasted malts, chocolate but predominately sweetness from alcohol...finish is all alcohol sweetness...aging definately brought the alcohol out in this one...great, but maybe 2 years is better than 3...

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
jcanj (23) - Michigan, USA - OCT 7, 2004
Bells sure does it right when it comes to beer. This is their top. So very smooth and so very black. Roasted malts, chocolate and coffee make a wonderful stout that no one should be disappointed in. This will for sure keep you warm on a cold winters night.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
sdcourtney (39) - Berlin, Germany, - OCT 4, 2004
Velvety smooth with Barleywine-like character. Subtle aroma is not as dominant as the pour would suggest. Flavor is wonderfully smooth with roast/alcohol/molasses/dark fruit (cant quite place the exact description!)combining very well with a nice hop bitterness to balance it out. Mega-Yum!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Mangino (1027) - Mississippi, USA - SEP 30, 2004
Pours a jet-black, with a dark brown head, small at that. Aroma Is choclate, very similar to a gourmet hot-choclate drink! Alcohol and malt was also there. Flavor is Choclate, and lot of it, also alcohol, and roast malt. Very mouth filling and very delicious. This one might be my fav folks!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
burcusabrews (106) - St. Louis Park, Minnesota, USA - SEP 20, 2004
deep apaque brown with mahogony on the edge. Absolutely no head. Nose of dark choclate and licorice. Amazing mouthfeel coats the mouth. Very smoot flavor not overly bitter, finishes with melted choclate and burnt toast. Absolutely wonderful. If there are a creamy head, I would give it a 19 or 20 overall.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Goblincat (381) - Westland, Michigan, USA - SEP 18, 2004
Pours black with a thin chocolate colored head. Nose is malt and chocolate. Strong chocolate, coffee, and malt flavors. Thick, rich, and strong, this stout does not disappoint.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
flutetokill (523) - Fresno, California, USA - SEP 13, 2004
Black color with a nice medium brown head. Very strong malt, anise, bourbon, coffee, chocolate, hops and alcohol aroma and flavors with a dry hops finish. Nice thick feel. The rich flavor lingers an amazingly long time on the tongue. Truely amazing.