overall

RATINGS: 3052   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.28/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
One of the earliest examples of the Russian Imperial Stout in the United States, Expedition Stout offers immensely complex flavors crafted specifically with vintage aging in mind, as its profile will continue to mature and develop over the years. A huge malt body is matched to a heady blend of chocolate, dark fruits, and other aromas. Intensely bitter in its early months, the flavors will slowly meld and grow in depth as the beer ages.
Available October-March.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
maniac (3800) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - MAY 27, 2006
Dark black color brown head, beautiful lacing. Aroma of caramel, fruit, and sweet hops. Sweet flavor, some fruit, caramel, and light bittering. Thanks to Numenor for his trading to get this to Richmond

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Numenor (871) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - MAY 27, 2006
UPDATED: MAY 28, 2006 Thanks to CaptainCougar for sending this amazing brew in our latest trade.; Perfectly black body, with a thin dark brown head. Great aroma, nice toffee, roasted nuts, chocolate. Syrup like body, coffee, caramel and other dark fruits such as black cherry. Nice ending, thick and complex.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
undsioux7 (871) - Eden Prairie, Minnesota, USA - MAY 26, 2006
UPDATED: JUL 11, 2006 Pours blacker then the night with a small brown/grey head that disapears quickly. Lots of hop smell with roasted chocolate. Smooth and syrupy feel on the palette. Taste is coffee, caramel & much more. Finishes very sweet with burn. Too sweet for my tastes, but great complexity. Re-rate. About the same as before, but less coffe taste, orange bittersweet chocolate.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
reedcd2 (47) - USA - MAY 24, 2006
I mean, thereís not much to say that hasnít been said about this beer. Absolutely delicious. This was the 4th stout courtesy of Zeswaft and it was awesome. Couldnít stop smelling it the whole time I was drinking it. tons of flavor - gotta try it to believe it. Best beer I have ever had yet.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
beastiefan2k (3547) - HdG (past: NYC, KS, Rain City), Maryland, USA - MAY 22, 2006
UPDATED: FEB 26, 2015 Bottle thanks to OhioDad. This is as black as it gets. Pours with no head just a bit of brown lacing. The smell is very hoppy, some roastiness in the background. Overall the hops over shadow the rest of the smell. The taste is extremely sweet, again hoppy. Very light body for such a beer. Extremely sweet, the sweet RIS I have ever tried. good bitterness at the end. Alcohol burn felt in throat as well.8/4/9/3/16

8, 6, 9 re-rate time, get low, get low ྫ/30/07). I always thought I overdid it on my first rating and I always remembered it as a bit too think hoppy stout and I always wanted to revisits. Which I did in a blind tasting recently, and if I remember correctly it did not score well (but really none of them did). This is batch 7740, which seems to be about a year old right now. It pours black hole black with a small brown head, so far just like it was originally. Aroma is super strong, it is very strong on grassy, piney, green leaf hops which are nose itching. Beneath that is pretty strong molasses and oily sticky syrup. Just from the aroma I can see why this is so highly rates, it is so not subtle. For me the taste is just super dominated by hops, which is cool but just not my bag of tricks. The really cool thing about this beer is the mouthfeel, definitely not like the previous time I had this. Itís super viscous and thick, feels like my mouth is covered with film. Long bitter aftertaste.8/4/7/5/16.

Lets try it again. Batch, 8728 bottled on September 16, 2008, so itís about 6 months old. Pretty similar except the hops are a lot more West Coast aggressive with citrus, grapefruit, and tropical fruits. Very bitter on the nose. Otherwise its pretty similar to my previous rating. Rating stays the same.

Bottle gifted from Indra, thanks Eric. Batch 6672, so almost 5 years old. It is headless at this point. The hops have died down. Basically, a chocolate watery drink. Alcohol is still present throughout. Would not give this 5 years at all without knowing what it is fresh. The age, alcohol, and light roast make it come off as light licorice and anise.

Beer #6 of 13 in blind tasting.
1.5 year old bottle. Thick pour with a head (heads were not common in the tasting). Head quickly fades. Came off as industrial, astringently bitter, acrid black malt-centric. Just astringent and strong. In hindsight, despite my relatively high ratings, I never really enjoyed this beer. I am happy to be more secure in rating it lower. 6/3/6/3/12.
In the aggregate, it fell slightly below average.

Final score is aggregate across ratings.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
keoki182 (305) - West Bend, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 21, 2006
I had tried Bellís Expedition Stout once before, but had only remembered that it was thicker than most stouts I have had. I bought another 12 oz bottle a week ago with the sole intent to sample it again and review it on ratebeer.com. The pour was akin to a bottle of Hersheyís chocolate syrup or perhaps motor oil sludging its way downwards into the waiting pint glass. Once the pour was complete, the glass looked like a pint of expresso, medium brown foam attached. The beer itself smells like the playground bully at Stout School: deep roasted malts, hops, chocolate, raisins, and probably 20 other foods that I cannot even identify. The first sip was jarring to all 5 of my senses plus 3 or 4 that I didnít even know I had. Explosions of bitterness, chocolate, smoky flavors! There is no arguing that this beerís taste is complex. In my humble opinion, the flavor is just too abrasive for my liking. I certainly respect and appreciate what the brewers at Bellís have accomplished with their Expedition Stout, but the truth is is that I enjoy easier- drinking stouts. I had to rate the overall score according to my own enjoyment while drinking it, and I just didnít feel that it was pleasantly drinkable.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Ty5592 (1018) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 20, 2006
UPDATED: AUG 17, 2007 This is one of the best beers I have ever tasted!! Black with no head. Has sweet roasted coffee flavor with smooth creamy aftertaste. Very complex beer. A must try for any REAL beer drinker. Thanks Ryan for the bottle!!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
punkrkr27 (903) - Berkley, Michigan, USA - MAY 20, 2006
Pours a thick brown black that looks like used motor oil with a small brown head. Aroma is loaded with roasted hops, malts, coffee beans and molasses. Flavor is much the same with almost a cognac like note. Lots of coffee flavor on the finish with a notable alcohol burn. Nice medium full body.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
cbkschubert (2901) - BFE, Arizona, USA - MAY 18, 2006
UPDATED: DEC 1, 2006 12 oz. bottle via trade with Ohiodad - Pours a thick black color with a small brown head that quickly fades to a film. Very light spotty lacing. Aroma is light chocolate, esters and spicey with a nice roasted malt background. Has a light roasted flavor with lots of esters (plum). The bitterness kicks in after you swallow the beer. Very slight alcohol warming. A smooth medium to full body beer. An excellent beer. Thanks Scott.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
deltamarik (50) - Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - MAY 17, 2006
This gets points off for the following reason: itís a seasonal. I thought Victoryís Storm King Imperial Stout was dark. This is blacker than Hitlerís soul. And dear lord, it tastes like it. Everything youíre looking for in a stout and more. Buy it. Now.