overall

RATINGS: 2794   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.28   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
One of the earliest examples of the Russian Imperial Stout in the United States, Expedition Stout offers immensely complex flavors crafted specifically with vintage aging in mind, as its profile will continue to mature and develop over the years. A huge malt body is matched to a heady blend of chocolate, dark fruits, and other aromas. Intensely bitter in its early months, the flavors will slowly meld and grow in depth as the beer ages.
Available October-March.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
barleyPops (1141) - Quad-Cities, Illinois, USA - JAN 26, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 15, 2008 update: 3/15/08 bottle from batch 6811 sent by Styles. I’d never had a 3 year old Exped., and Chris was kind enough to send one my way. huge nose of chocolate with a flavor profile of chocolate, roasted malts and assorted ripe fruit. bumped up my score by .4. now I know to age this bad boy!

bottle. picked up at a bottle shop in Champaign. Right now I’m just really pissed. I just spilled an Avery New World Porter all over my computer desk. I drank about 2/3 of it before spilling, but it was so good and it was the only one I had :( So to cheer myself up I opened the only Expedition that I picked up at the same place. This is a big beer, a very big beer. Many stouts are a dark brown, but this on is BLACK. The aromas and flavors are of roasted malt, chocolate and coffee. Well balanced and tasty, the alcohol is well hidden. An excellent stout but there has been a couple of others I liked better.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
darkstar (69) - Eureka, Missouri, USA - JAN 25, 2005
Pours so thick and full. Nice head with superior lacing. Slight smell of alcohol in it. Tastes of expresso, chocolate. Leaves a strange aftertaste for an imperial stout. Almost makes me think of grapefruit (Hops?)? Am I crazy? I couldn’t taste the alcohol as much as I smelled it. I like this very very much.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Lou18 (1353) - West Paterson, New Jersey, USA - JAN 25, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 24, 2006 This poured black, oh so black. The dark brown head was so tempting as it grew and grew. Tight bubbles of pleasure. The aroma was almost of burnt coffee, the kind in the awful quickie mart that burnt all day. But this also has a sweet back note, and finishes with a slight bit oh pine like hops. The first taste is like the aroma, but also adds some caramel and the low carbonation helps the hops in the finish. The mouth feel is heavy. There is a thick bread like quality, and I am, loving this. I got a some small amount of this on my lips and they a stinking together and, Oh I love this. I got one from Duane, and one from Wohlfs. Thanx guys. This was liquid love, heaven on earth. re-rate. This bottle is rated on 11-1-05. And it is sooo much thicker. Great, as always. re-rate on 12-25-06 Did I fail to mention the Red head, creamy and inviting. The hops complet;y complement the strong malts, This is a great brew.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
sfontain (824) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - JAN 25, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 11, 2005 Pours opaque black, motor oil; dark brown head. Aroma coffee, chocolate, vanilla, and cream; roasty. Flavor roasty coffee, alcohol evaporation and warmth in throat and stomach; mostly coffee/roast, but some chocolate and more lightly vanilla. Thick but too sticky. Too much roast/coffee for my tastes; very good though certainly a bit overrated.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
IMtheOptimator (1162) - Bethel, Connecticut, USA - JAN 22, 2005
Thanks to Mr. Facto for this beer.

Pours thick onyx with a fizzy dark brown head that dissipated quickly. Heavy chocolate aroma. Taste is mostly of bittersweet chocolate with a prevelant alcohol sweetness (cherry character?) and burn. The bitterness soon takes over and moves into a finish of chocolate-covered espresso beans. The body is full and thick, which I have come to expect from Bell’s stouts. The best imperial stout I’ve had thus far. However, for the purposes of casual drinking, I think I’d be more apt to turn to the java or kalamazoo stout.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
SpudClampDawg (1029) - Jasper, Indiana, USA - JAN 18, 2005
UPDATED: OCT 14, 2007 Complex aroma with chocolate, musty raisins, burnt molasses, and bourbon soaked plums. Some of these same smells are evident in the taste, with sweet chocolate overriding all other tastes. The high ABV is well masked, although it does rear its ugly head, albeit for a short moment, in the finish. Wow.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
growler (74) - West Virginia, USA - JAN 16, 2005
12 oz. bottle (Thanks Hopscotch!) This stuff pours a deep black with a wispy brown head. Nice syurpy texture that leaves a brown coating on the glass. Nose is that of dark semi-sweet chocolate, expresso with a hint of cherry. Complex malts and hops does a great job of balancing the somewhat high ABV. Has a very plesant rich finish. Nothing left to say but I simply love this stuff. One of the best stouts I’ve ever tasted. Super brew!!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
mdi (573) - Nebraska, USA - JAN 14, 2005
12oz bottle 2003 version. Oil sludge dumped into my glass. Brown head. Smokey, roasty, chocolate, what the hell else would you expect?? There are 411 reviews right now on this beer, so what’s the point in adding my mediocre taste description? I love this because it is massive and complex. Everything is done in harmony, yet monsterously so. One of the biggest and one of the best. Like mocha espresso in a 12oz bottle.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Styles (2014) - Lincoln Park, Michigan, USA - JAN 10, 2005
UPDATED: OCT 14, 2014 #225 Pours black with a brown head that fades fast. Aroma is roasted malt,caramel,chocolate and coffee with hop undertones. Initial taste is caramel that fades to bitter chocolate and coffee. Very complex and robust stout. One of the few stouts I could drink all the time. Gets a 20 overall.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
brentfeesh (1208) - Mansfield, Ohio, USA - JAN 8, 2005
2003 version I believe...I am so glad I can get this any time! Pours a deep mahogany-closer to black with burgundy hints at the edges. No head at all. The aroma is dark chocolate with espresso bean and bourbon. Also a hint of sweetness (molasses?). The flavor reminds me of a chocolate covered espresso bean with a bit of dried cherry in there (deep down). It’s nice and bitter (perhaps a citrus type hop?) but well balanced. Delicious and flavorful! Rich! and somewhat oily mouth feel; really coats your tongue. An exceptional brew!