RATINGS: 2854   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.28/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
One of the earliest examples of the Russian Imperial Stout in the United States, Expedition Stout offers immensely complex flavors crafted specifically with vintage aging in mind, as its profile will continue to mature and develop over the years. A huge malt body is matched to a heady blend of chocolate, dark fruits, and other aromas. Intensely bitter in its early months, the flavors will slowly meld and grow in depth as the beer ages.
Available October-March.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
smoosh (536) - New Albany, Indiana, USA - JUL 21, 2003
Bottle: Oh, my! What a beer! And my bottle may have actually been off. There was no pop of carbonation release when I opened it and some crud around the lip of the bottle, but I wasn't going to let this stop me! Huge malt nose. Dark as night with zero head or carbonation. Deep malt, chocolate and roasty flavor. Amazing - gotta get another one and my rating will likely be higher!

Vac (2445) - San Diego, California, USA - JUL 21, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 4, 2005 WOW! Pours with a dark brown to black body (looked like melted dark chocolate) topped with medium thick head and some lacing. WOW! Slightly Sweet chacolatey malt aroma with slight roasty notes. Incredible aroma. WOW! Sweet Chocolatey malt flavor with a slight bitterness, roasty notes and a slightly bitter roasted coffee finish. WOW! Full Bodied and very smooth. WOW!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
PorterPounder (6535) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - JUL 20, 2003
Pours like a can of Penzoil - leaves a tight thin mocha-colored head which leaves a bit of trailing lacing. Aroma - sweet chocolate; hints of licorice. Flavor - bittersweet chocolate with some hoppy bitterness sneaking in on the back end. Also detect a bit of licorice. Palate - like a party going on in your mouth - awakakens your senses. One of the best stouts I have ever had. Alcohol hidden very well.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Blake (396) - Orange, California, USA - JUL 17, 2003
Had from bottle on July 17th, 2003 - Day 17 of Blake's Beer Month™
An interesting beer, I had been saving this one for a special occasion - so tonight, I had a Kalamazoo Bells tasting - Expedition Stout, Special Double Cream Stout & Cherry Stout. The beer pours with a dark, black appearance - no clarity whatsoever with a nice, almost syrupy pour. The aroma is very rich - black licorice, coffee, chocolate. The flavoring is magnificent - and only gets better as it gets warmer. The taste is of coffee and sweetness. A slight hint of alcohol is masked well in this stout. An interesting beer, but surprisingly, I enjoyed the Double Cream a little bit more. But bring on the Kalamazoo - amazing stuff.

Kathy (241) - Washington DC, USA - JUL 14, 2003
Deep, not very viscous, black appearance. Not much head. Yummy, mildly perfumed aroma. Coffee. Some sweet chocolate aroma. Rich, rounded flavor that oozes across he tongue. Sweet coffee. A little alcohol in the flavor. A little bitterness in the finish. Complex and gentle. Rich. Roasty/chocolatey.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
awaller05 (305) - Sharon, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 10, 2003
Here it is!!! My 100th beer. I saved this rating for just that. Thick black liquid with a little lacing around the edge of the glass. I had my girlfriend walk by me as I was sipping this one and asked me why I would use my beer mug for a pepsi, I just smiled and said "I don't know" First smell is of a dark roasted coffee. My first sip is of coffee with a sweet finish. What a treat and the only thing I can rip on this one is that a little sweeter finish would be great

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
DavidP (1747) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 3, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 21, 2005 Comments on the 2003 bottling:
Extremely creamy mouthfeel, the flavor reminds me of coffee with melted dark chocolate mixed in. I like the fact that this version doesn’t have the "oily" alcohol overtone, but at the same time it seems a little dumbed down.

Re-rate 12/4/03

Tick rocky light brown head, pretty good retention. Warm piney aroma, somewhat reminds me of a pig (musky straw overtones). Big hoppy flavor backed up by a chewy, gelatinous malt. Lots of flavors here, sweet chocolate, bitter coffee, ripe fruit, bitter hops - it all comes together to form a kickass brew! Piney bitter aftertaste, and a creamy-smooth sensation sticks around too. My only detraction bases around an excessive alcohol taste - there’s this vodka-y oiliness that presides over the flavor spectrum. Not sure if I like that... 6/20/05 - ’02 bottle. Wonderfully rich and malty. Reduced hops content but it’s OK.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
AustinMilbarge (681) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JUL 3, 2003
Upside down label. Pours thick as motor oil. Super black. No light makes its way through. Tan creamy head, it has staying power. Lacing is good. Rich aroma of coffee/chocolate. A little bit of an alcohol nose. It feels just as thick on the tongue as it looks pouring out of the bottle. A big coffee-packed punch greats your palate. Alcohol is no where to be tasted. This beer is another reason I'm happy that Kalamazoo is only 45 minutes from where I live during holidays away from school.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
argo0 (12514) - Washington DC, USA - JUL 2, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 14, 2003 (7/14/03): Completely opaque black body with no head. Aroma is vinous, rich and chocolate. Taste is sweet, strong, vinous, chocolate, and goor roasty. Finish with a medium alcohol burn. Full body, minimal carbonation.(RBSG2003): Black with minimal head. Aroma is sweet, rich, mlty, roasty, coffee. Taste is medium sweet, rich, malty -- roasty mild coffee, medium chocolate. Finishes with a slight alcohol burn. Very full body. (8/5/8/5/16)

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
joeycapps (1468) - Waterdown, Ontario, CANADA - JUL 2, 2003
Black w/ little carbonation & almost no head. Rich complex aroma of roasted coffee, molasses, fruit (cherries?) licorice, wood, & vanilla. Thick, oily, chewy feel. Intense flavour of roast coffee, chocolate, fruit (cherries, dates, raisins), wine, earth and hops.