overall

RATINGS: 2754   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.28   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
One of the earliest examples of the Russian Imperial Stout in the United States, Expedition Stout offers immensely complex flavors crafted specifically with vintage aging in mind, as its profile will continue to mature and develop over the years. A huge malt body is matched to a heady blend of chocolate, dark fruits, and other aromas. Intensely bitter in its early months, the flavors will slowly meld and grow in depth as the beer ages.
Available October-March.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Rockinout (966) - Kent, Ohio, USA - NOV 2, 2002
My 100th beer. Incredible. I get something new everytime I taste it. I let it warm for about an hour prior to tasting. So dark, it acts like a black hole sucking in the light around it. No head whatsoever! This is a serious beer. Silky espresso, alcohol, choclate bitter in the body. Has the consistency of motor oil. This almost makes me want to pursue religion itís so "God-like".

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
bubslang (438) - Kentwood, Michigan, USA - NOV 1, 2002
Probably the best of bells outstanding stout lineup, wonderful roasted malt aroma, pours black and thick, chocolate-coffeeish taste, with slight hints of fruit, fantastic as it warms. a truly great beer

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
VA Homebrewer (525) - Portsmouth, Virginia, USA - OCT 28, 2002
Black as midnight on a new moon with a small, brown head containing large bubbles and dissipating fairly quickly. Aroma virtually lept out of the glass as it sat on the counter warming prior to my initial sip. I could smell this beer from 5 feet away while watching the news and waiting for it to warm, all the while my mouth watering and my hands involuntarily reaching for the glass. Aromas are prunes, raisins, plums, and earthy hops. Initial sip shows all of the above dark fruits evident and fading brilliantly into a pronounced hop bitterness that builds to eventually overcome the molassas and fading dark fruits as the aftertaste slips away. This is a very thick, vinous beer that completely avoids becoming cloying despite seeming to have tiny black granules floating on the head. Absolutely NO alcohol presence outside of the warming feeling as it slides down your throat - no hot alcohol aromas or flavors to be found anywhere. This is just absolutely magnificent, and it is more that worthy of its position on RateBeer and its status as my new top rated brew. I owe many thanks to proc for sending this my way.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
herbjones (742) - Orange, California, USA - OCT 27, 2002
This is the one I opened to celebrate the Angels world series victory.Poured like motor oil that has 6,000 miles on it. Looks like it to. Aroma is a sublime roasted malt with a hint of hop. Silky smooth palate. Creamy,creamy,creamy. No alcohol is evident and I mean none. This is so deserving of its ranking in the top 50.Underrated I think.A little sweetness at the front creamy malty cut by the perfect hop bitterness at the end. God these guys just make top notch beer!Almost forgot to thank Indra for this beauty.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
igneous1 (1503) - Davenport, Iowa, USA - OCT 25, 2002
perfectly opaque, head is initially about 3/4" thick diminishing over the course of a few minutes to a lasting thin head. definitely one of the 2 or 3 darkest heads iíve seen on a beer. aroma is malty, grainy, syrupy, with some great hints of chocolate. flavor is initially strong in alcohol (certainly due to itís youth). flavor in the middle is quite bitter and fades into a long coffee finish. huge body to this imperial, very rich and thick.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Ernest (6343) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - OCT 23, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 22, 2013 Bottle (10/22/2012 batch). Head is initially small, frothy, brown, mostly diminishing. Body is opaque black (flashlight tested), bottle conditioned. Aroma is heavily malty (dark chocolate / chocolate cake / tirimisu, caramel, roasted grain), lightly hoppy (flowers, apricot), with notes of vanilla, leather, tar, blackberry, raisin, unripe banana peel, and alcohol. Flavor is heavily sweet, lightly bitter, lightly acidic. Finish is moderately sweet, lightly acidic, moderately bitter. Full body, creamy/velvety texture, soft carbonation, moderately alcoholic. One of the few beers that has continued to score consistently 4+ for me over the years. Remarkably rich, elegant nose that almost seems to defy description. Supremely luxurious mouthfeel, very creamy without being at all cloying or syrupy/sticky. Itís quite sweet in the mouth, and yet I always salivated for another sip. I probably couldnít drink more than 12oz, and even 8oz is plenty, but itís almost impossible not to love.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
AceOfHearts (1375) - Mountain View, California, USA - OCT 20, 2002
Used motor oil pour, large tan head. Quite vinous and fruity smelling, reminding me of Stone RIS. Alcohol, plums, pear, coffee, chocolate add to a nice complexity that I found great! I plan on cellaring a few bottles of this to see how it works out over the next few years. One of my all-time faves.

MrRomero (1976) - Nolanville, USA - OCT 19, 2002
Dark, very dark. No head at all. Very roasty flavor with a coffee and bitter chocolate taste. Not what I expected but still very good and I will buy it again.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
slinkymello (137) - Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - OCT 17, 2002
I am biased towards imperial stouts... the only beer I have rated a 5 is the dogfish head world wide imperial... I have no idea why really, but dammit, I just do. I am partial towards Bells also... but enough. Not bad at all... nuttier than the other ones I have tried, it has the molasses, roasty aroma and flavor... and damn, coffee overload... malty as hell and yet, retains some nice hoppiness. Dry finish that rocks and stays with you for a while... not as flavorful as the dogfish head, a bit better than the old rasputin... but still a great imperial stout.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
mjmurphy2 (85) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 11, 2002
I have to say that I was really looking forward to trying this beer. Maybe I got my hopes up, because I couldnít help but feel a little let down. Smelled great. It wasnít nearly as thick as I hoped it would be and the flavors, while rich and chocolately and spicy, were submerged in a strong alcohol tang. I was hoping for the perfect stout. This wasnít it. But it was pretty close.