overall

RATINGS: 221   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.57   EST. CALORIES: 237   ABV: 7.9%
Big and bold, this stout will warm you with flavors of maple, ginger and molasses. Perfect for complimenting your holiday cheer

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
hennes (934) - Fountain, Michigan, USA - DEC 16, 2001
Allspice comes in little balls like peppercorns - but both in your peppermill, throw in some nutmeg and a Paul Simon special (rosemary, thyme?), and you might get the spice mixture here. The point is that its pretty hard to tell; in a stout this big and dark the tastes are kind of muddied and, I think, mostly wrong. I love the fact that larry’s dishing out ecentricity and applaud his spirit of adventure, but this one, to me, is a serious misfire.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
BrockLandersLS (109) - San Diego, California, USA - DEC 12, 2001
I am a stoutaholic so I found this a nice break from more traditional stouts. I like its thickness and the complexity of its taste. Funk and I enjoyed several together and I must say this is a fine beer, but not one if your drinking more than two or three beers in a sitting.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
lizziesage (180) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - DEC 9, 2001
Deep brown and incredibly ’meaty’. I found Harry Magills to be very reminiscent of aged Anchor’s ’Our Special Ale’. Streaks of cinnamon highlight the nose and taste, while juniper smiles in the background. This ale might stretch the definition of a ’stout’ somewhat, but is very warming and delicious none-the-less. Round, roasty, and toasty fill out the texture. Complex and warming this would make a great winter/holiday brew.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Drew Blood (151) - Mt.Prospect, Illinois, USA - NOV 27, 2001
I have to agree with Under-age on this one. I may save it to cook with. Way rosemarry and molassas. i will try cooking with it . I am certainly not that glad I have 5 more of these.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
Under-age Drinker (96) - Colorado, USA - NOV 25, 2001
If I wanted spices I’d go to China...but this isnt the middle ages anymore, so I guess i can just go to my local grocer and sample some Magills Spiced Stout...Larry Bell what have you done...I don’t really prefer drinking pizza sauce out of a bottle, it belongs in a jar.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
Zach Diesel (906) - Sisters, Oregon, USA - NOV 25, 2001
Larry Bell breaks new stout ground. In the words of Leland Fox ’its like a full flavored sauce more than a beer’

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Kaya161 (1128) - San Diego, California, USA - NOV 24, 2001
Wow, a very interesting beer. Intensely spicy aroma. I wish that I had a better repetoire of spices so that I could tell what I am smelling/tasting, but I detected some cinnamon, nutmeg, and pepper, and maybe some allspice. The falvour is very smoky as well. I don’t know if I particularly like these type of flavours in a stout, but this is still worth trying because it is so unique.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Jake Barnes (456) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - NOV 23, 2001
I have a really tough time rating this. It’s so interesting but im just not really sure if i like it. Dark body with a medium head. Thin Bells body. A very peppery/roasted nose. BIG peppery flavor that fades into a light hoppy finish. Really interesting. Im not sure if I like the pepper or not. I suggest trying it though.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
fraternie (826) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 22, 2001
Bizarre bitter fruit malt with some interesting spices, but again, just too thin to be a great stout in my book.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
pauliefrog99 (302) - FLINT, Michigan, USA - NOV 20, 2001
This beer is indeed very spicy. I picked up a bit of peppery taste in this beer. It was good stuff. Very complex.