overall

RATINGS: 2746   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.21   IBU: 70   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Starting with six different hop varietals added to the brew kettle & culminating with a massive dry-hop addition of Simcoe hops, Bellís Hopslam Ale possesses the most complex hopping schedule in the Bellís repetoire. Selected specifically because of their aromatic qualities, these Pacific Northwest varieties contribute a pungent blend of grapefruit, stone fruit, and floral notes. A generous malt bill and a solid dollop of honey provide just enough body to keep the balance in check, resulting in a remarkably drinkable rendition of the Double India Pale Ale style.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
crowderm (382) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - FEB 16, 2008
Pours a nice cloudy orange with a thin lingering white head. Pretty sweet, thick, blunt floral nose. Flavor is more of the same, with a first bitter, then sweet finish. Palate is very nice and creamy. Overall a very solid brew, but not quite as great as I was hoping. I think I prefer the two hearted.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
hillfiiiiire (323) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 16, 2008
Really, sweet and citrus aroma. So sweet. The pour is a dark amber with one finger head. The flavor really isnít all that I was expecting. Itís hoppy, but really malty without a very complex character. The plate is pretty creamy. But itís not nearly as good as I had anticipated.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
afireinside96 (923) - Mountville, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 15, 2008
UPDATED: MAR 11, 2009 poured a beautiful copper-orange color with a thin light orange head into a snifter. smells a bit like oranges too, also pine and other citrus. nice malt backbone that has hops popping out all over it. bitter spicy flavor that isnít really my preference but I can still appreciate it. spiciness carries over into both the mouthfeel and the finish. the 10 abv goes wholly unnoticed until you try to stand up afterwards. itís not really my thing but Iím glad I tried it anyway.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
farlane (5) - Leland, Michigan, USA - FEB 15, 2008 does not count
If I had had this beer 15 years ago when Bellís was getting rolling I would have probably wet my pants. Itís a testament to how far theyíve come that I can say itís good, but not great. (for great see Bells Two Hearted Ale). Nice creamy head (not super enduring though). Itís way hoppy, but the nose is a bit stanked at 40-52 deg which put me off a bit. Iíll try it again a bit warmer. You can definitely feel the 10% alcohol but itís not overly present in the taste.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
DragonStout (1408) - Pickerington, Ohio, USA - FEB 15, 2008
thanx to ElMatador for this.poured copper with a small lacing head.Full onslaught of fresh hops streaming out of this.This is definately a hop head dream beer. Lots of piney hop flavor.Quite smooth and easy to drink.Lots of freshness in this.The alcohol didnít make its presence at all.Hoppy bitter finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
MaxxDaddy (413) - Hoboken, New Jersey, USA - FEB 14, 2008
Bottle from jessbnjess (thanks babycakes!). Pours reddish with somewhat small amount of head. Aroma is slightly hoppy along with some malty sweetness. Taste starts off with piney hop bitterness and followed by caramel malt background. Way too smooth for a beer of this heft. I thought I could drink a bunch of these, had I had multiple bottles. Palate was thicker than average and finished bitter. Good stuff, though I must say I was expecting more hops.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
GMCC2181 (1545) - Newark, Delaware, USA - FEB 14, 2008
UPDATED: MAR 9, 2011 Mini keg from stfun*******in early 2011....Smell of hops, citrus and pine. A beautiful rustic red color. Small head, just one finger. Smooth was my first thought. Really smooth. Perfect blend. Hopslam has almost the perfect mixture of hops and all other ingredients. Nice bitterness but not to bitter. Excellent texture as well. Over all a great beer. Thanks STFUN for another awesome beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Pastor (799) - Skowhegan, Maine, USA - FEB 14, 2008
Thanks to MuenchenerKindl for hooking me up on this one Bottle poured a nice copper with a white head that leaves quickly Tons of piney hoppy aroma but along with that some nice sweetness Great crisp almost snappy mouthfeel thinking about doing some hot wings with my next few This one is well balanced for a hop bomb bitter yet sweet enough to make it extremely drinkable although 10% might be a good reason to keep them to a minimum

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
vordeburg (2) - Clarkston, Michigan, USA - FEB 14, 2008 does not count
Iím a huge fan of insanely hoppy beers, this is far from dissapointing. I want to make out with this glass of beer. $17 for a sixer, but damn! Canít be beat. Plus, I support Bellís as a regional company willing to take a risk. Chicagoland anyone? Pulling out from a huge market because your distributers refuse to carry anything but your flagships is awe inspiring.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
mcferc4 (59) - New Jersey, USA - FEB 13, 2008
Perfect pour, if I do say so myself. Beautiful pillowy head. If I could fit my noggin in the glass Iíd probably lay down on it for a while. Amber color. Aroma = full power. Maybe one of the most pungent beers that Iíve encountered. Taste = a bitter, citrusy hop roundhouse to the palate. Absolutely delicious, although the alcohol is a bit more present than in the first three bottles from this sixer (bought a few weeks ago). Scratch that, just the first few sips. Fairly solid malt balance. An extreme brew for sure, but not too bad considering itís 10%. If you drank a sixer of these youíd be hopblitearted. ADDENDUM: Raising the overall impression. Probably due to the high alcohol or simple palate habituation, the last third of the beer is absolutely amazing. The hop "slam" has worn off, now itís smooth, malty goodness with a sweet hop finish. Amazing.