overall

RATINGS: 2617   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.21   IBU: 70   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Starting with six different hop varietals added to the brew kettle & culminating with a massive dry-hop addition of Simcoe hops, Bell’s Hopslam Ale possesses the most complex hopping schedule in the Bell’s repetoire. Selected specifically because of their aromatic qualities, these Pacific Northwest varieties contribute a pungent blend of grapefruit, stone fruit, and floral notes. A generous malt bill and a solid dollop of honey provide just enough body to keep the balance in check, resulting in a remarkably drinkable rendition of the Double India Pale Ale style.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
dvhunter (4) - Albany Park, USA - JUL 4, 2007 does not count
Bottled. Pours a light amber with a foamy head. Aroma: pine, pepper, citrus. Flavor is very balanced, with a noticeable malt profile that sets the stage for a giant hop blast. Sense of hop resin, syrup. Makes many other IIPA’s taste like hop tea. Alcohol very well hidden until the last 1/4.

bmartin08 (12) - Massachusetts, USA - JUL 2, 2007
Holly hops! As a newcomer to American Craft brews, Bells is becoming my favorite brewery! Man, this is a great beer. Pours a nice orange with a bit of carbonation. I am amazed at how well the 9% is hidden. Very balanced big beer. I need to get my hands on more. Thanks to drewbeerme for this 12oz bottle.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
anders37 (16691) - Malmö, SWEDEN - JUL 1, 2007
Bottle @ Oliver Twist, Stockholm. Pours a slightly hazy amber color with a small off-white head. Sweet malty hoppy bitter grapefruit aroma. Sweet malty hoppy and burning bitter flavor with hints of grapefruit. Very bitter and burning hoppy finish with a long bitter aftertaste.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Dansting (222) - Overland Park, Kansas, USA - JUN 27, 2007
Bottle. Pours a cloudy orange-brown color with a thick white head. Strong lacing. Tremendous floral hop aroma. Nice full mouthfeel. Strong citrus flavor with a nice hoppy-bitter aftertaste. Impressive. I love this beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jspruit (122) - Dublin, IRELAND - JUN 26, 2007
Found a cold bottle of this at Martha’s Vineyard-a bit of a surprise this time of year and something that I was looking to try. Smelled great right after opening the bottle and poured with a great strong scent into the pint glass. Didnt pour as murky as I thought that it would be but rather a orange gold with a white 2-finger head with large bubbles. Some sweet floral hints along with the strong hops arose after the pour-my taste buds were watering by then. The hops are the most evident tastes to me and they are pretty consistent throughout. The floral hints I smelled early definitely come through in the beer too-and there is carbonation throughout as well. There seems to be a alcohol taste at the end of each sip-not quite to my liking really as I think that my tongue is a bit numb now. I think that that this beer definitely is hoppy enough for me, perhaps a bit too much for my liking. I will definitely try it again if it comes my way, but I dont think that I would be able to handle more than a couple in one session.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
emacgee (4024) - Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA - JUN 17, 2007
UPDATED: JAN 25, 2009 Gonna go ahead and rerate this. Fresh as shit batch 8912. Pours a clean translucent honey colored brew with a two finger creamy offwhite head. The pour alone looks like this beer is a simple malt canvas on which a gorgeous work of hop is painted. The nose is punching me in the face, resinous, grapefruit, all kinds of fruit and citrus, mildly piney and spicy, almost sweet. The flavor is dominated by hops, resinous, citrusy, pink grapefruit meat, fruity, very subdued hop bitterness, all hop flavor. Palate is full and coating with a soft bitterness. Simply fantastic.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
WeeHeavySD (3360) - San Diego (Hillcrest), Oregon, USA - JUN 16, 2007
12 oz bottle, batch 7690 via trade with someone---thank you mystery guest. Pour is perfectly beautifal orange with a stable fluffy one finger head. Aroma is hoppy with citrus notes and a good freshness. Big full bodied piney hop blast. Not quite a west coast DIPA, but not quite an East Coast DIPA, the midwest might have it here. This is great, and very tasty as I’d expected. The bottle has always bothered me though because the hops are so round they look like artichokes and I don’t really want artichoke beer, but Bell’s could probably make it taste good.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
thewolf (11184) - Kolding, DENMARK - JUN 15, 2007
Bottle. [thank you sk8viking]. Hazy dark yellow-orange with some particulates in the liquid. A small white head. Aroma is stunningly hoppy. There are pines, apricot, dried fruits, oak and flowers. Very full mouthfeel. Flavour is stunningly well-crafted - there is a heavy caramel base that gives a fullness and a sweet edge to the preceedings. But there are plenty of hops to make it suitably bitter. Very, very good!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
bdigital (658) - Ft Wayne, Indiana, USA - JUN 13, 2007
07 bottle: Pours a bubbly orange-brown color with a small white head. Good lacing throughout. Scents of floral and piney hops with a lot of grapefruit and other citrus. Some mild malty notes as it sits come forward. Wonderful mouth feel with a strong, bitter hop bite from beginning to end. There is a nice sweetness that balances out the hops and tartness of the citrus. Very good IIPA. Can Bells do anything wrong?

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
gmcase (115) - Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 13, 2007
UPDATED: JUL 21, 2011 Bottle at Shallo’s Pub and then again home. With the sun peering in to watch, I poured it in the glass and it looked like beautiful orange ambers crackling out of a camp fire in late summer. Massive floral hop aroma and taste; with a bitter lingering finish that made me say... ahhh! Very citrusy. Bravo. God bless the bartender who recomended this one of the best beers I have ever had. This is a culinary achievement of the highest order and another well great Bell’s beer.