overall

RATINGS: 2625   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.21   IBU: 70   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Starting with six different hop varietals added to the brew kettle & culminating with a massive dry-hop addition of Simcoe hops, Bellís Hopslam Ale possesses the most complex hopping schedule in the Bellís repetoire. Selected specifically because of their aromatic qualities, these Pacific Northwest varieties contribute a pungent blend of grapefruit, stone fruit, and floral notes. A generous malt bill and a solid dollop of honey provide just enough body to keep the balance in check, resulting in a remarkably drinkable rendition of the Double India Pale Ale style.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
mkgrenwel (571) - Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA - MAY 10, 2007
í06 bottle thanks to moejuck. Lots of tangerine in the front. Lime as well. No malt flavor to hold anything up. Heavy prickly carbonation, coupled with disappearing flavor in the back. Bitterness hides and then slowly creeps up on you long after the swallow. Lingers for a long long time. I really like the flavor I get, but it just doesnít hang around long enough.

padrefan98 (854) - (San Diego) Santee, California, USA - MAY 9, 2007
12 oz bottle from dmac621. Poured a golden amber color, with a decent white head. Smells of grapefruit, pine and citrus. Tastes of bitter hops and grapefruit. Very good IIpa.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Svesse (6174) - Hšsselby, SWEDEN - MAY 8, 2007
(Bottle, Oliver Twist, Stockholm) Amber colour with frothy off-white head. Fruity nose with dark notes of hops, grapefruit, orange, pine needles and resin, slight hints of coriander. Very complex. Fruity, hoppy taste with apricots, grapefruit, orange and heavy notes of hops. Very complex, rather vinous and surprisingly balanced. A huge IPA and a serious hop monster. Brilliant! My kind of beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
henrikb (1259) - Aarhus, DENMARK - MAY 8, 2007
Beautiful orange golden body with a big white head; Big very pleasant hoppy nose (exactly what I needed) lots of ripe sweet grapefruit- and orange juice; Big soft deep bitter sweet body; Long bitter finish ending quite dry, lots of grapefruit peel and sweet cookie aromas. Like I said, exactly what I needed!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
deline7 (13) - Michigan, USA - MAY 7, 2007
I initially drank this beer acouple weeks after bottling and it was amazing. Over the top hops that somehow existed with a supremely well balanced barley wine. I had to remind myself that this was a 9%ABV beer. The beer was divine on tap at Eccentric Day also.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
dmac (4080) - Toms River, New Jersey, USA - MAY 4, 2007
UPDATED: MAY 13, 2007 12 oz bottle. I could smell the hoppy goodness as soon as I poured this one. Deep amber/orange color with a small white head. Aroma was an awesome sweet malt balance with some citrusy notes. Flavor is smooth with good hop/malt balance but dominated by a hop bitter aftertaste. Looked great, tasted great...damn this is one great beer. I just wish I had more then one.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
SamuraiArtist (292) - portland, Oregon, USA - MAY 3, 2007
Bottle thanks to jb175: pours a crystal clear orange with very little white head. Aroma of sweet malts and floral and citrusy hops with a little fruitiness. Flavor is a medium bodied amber sweet beer with a moderate amount of hop bitterness and good citrus fresh hop flavor. Where this beer really excelts is its orange, tangerine and peach type of flavors that i believe are coming from the hops. A really good beer but not nearly as bitter as i expected.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Speedle (266) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - MAY 2, 2007
UPDATED: FEB 13, 2008 Re Rate 2/13/08 1st time I had this it was one of my 1st 20 ratings and the 1st top beer I had tried...to date its still holds my highest rating ..... Iím rerating this to see if anythings changed, either way I bought a 6 pack just to be sure .... aroma is awesome, citrus, sweet grapefruit, fresh cut Christmas tree ... hops in the face ... ultra bitter without wiping out the taste buds .... just the right amount of sweetness ..... pine is dominant ... very little noticeable alcohol presence ... clean finish with the aftertaste on the roof of my mouth ...... this is going to stay my highest rated beer .... maybe when I can get my hands on some things that are not available in my area this will change, but for now this is the pinnacle of my appreciation for beer

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
ChazMania (653) - Pasadena, California, USA - MAY 1, 2007
Bottled from batch 7806 and received in trade with ípantanap.í I was very excited to receive this beer after reading so many glowing reviews. It has not disappointed. The aroma is big and the flavor is bigger. Huge citrus hop, lemon/orange and some pineapple and honeydew flavors. Great long lasting full flavor and it burps great too!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
PhillyBeer2112 (2528) - Oviedo, Florida, USA - APR 25, 2007
UPDATED: FEB 28, 2008 Very nice! And a good example of how a beer can be big on hops and still leave room for malt to do its thing. The aroma was generally dominated by citric hops: orange rind, lemon rind, and grapefruit juice, and then a touch of doughy biscuity malt in the background. The flavor equally hoppy, it was a spicy resiny sort of hoppiness, with a mangoish level of fruitiness. Again, malt was there like biscuits or sugar cookies, providing plenty of rounded oomph to fill out the palate. Golden colored with a nice full creamy head.

Draft @ redlight. Woot woot!! Thatís some stinky dank hop aroma!! Oh it makes me feel so good. Piney resiny grapefruit and dank cannabis. This is some deep hop aroma. Faded copper color, poured with minimal head. I donít even want to drink it, jsut sniff it. But of course Iím going to drink it and I donít even know where to begin. I get a big grapefruit citrus plus white grapes and cantaloupe or honeydew. Lingering resinous hops are sweaty and citric with a lemon-lime rind, the longer lingering fruit is honeydew rind. Malts? Oh shit I almost forgot about malts! ummm, bready with a syrupy caramel sauce but theyíre not heavy. Not so much a backbone to the hops but a torso. Not a headless limbless torso but simple nonetheless. What the hell am I talking about?! I think metaphors have gone out the window of a speeding pickup truck. Make that a big truck with rust around the wheel wells. Back to the beer, the hops get puckering in the citrusickness. This beer just made me make up a word. This beer might also cause dissociative disorder. Iím not even halway through my pint. I think Iím fucked. Woooooooooy. From a distance (what distance?) I think thereís some kind of candy-caramel nearby. Iíve lost my ability to manipulate a writing instrument. That means pen. Thereís a girl at the bar that looks like a young Linda Rondstadt circa 1968, and sheís just ordered a pint of this stuff. A beer geek couldnít hardly ask for a better infatuation. (numbers are up from 4.1 for the bottle to 4.5 for the draft)