overall

RATINGS: 2747   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.21   IBU: 70   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Starting with six different hop varietals added to the brew kettle & culminating with a massive dry-hop addition of Simcoe hops, Bell’s Hopslam Ale possesses the most complex hopping schedule in the Bell’s repetoire. Selected specifically because of their aromatic qualities, these Pacific Northwest varieties contribute a pungent blend of grapefruit, stone fruit, and floral notes. A generous malt bill and a solid dollop of honey provide just enough body to keep the balance in check, resulting in a remarkably drinkable rendition of the Double India Pale Ale style.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Doppelganger (1388) - Dry County, Arkansas, USA - MAY 16, 2007
Slightly hazy copper, a nice sticky cap of white. Big green minty, cola, spicy hops; marmalade riding along underneath, and a touch of weed. Juicy Fruit flavor, pear, peaches. Sweetness blends so softly with the hops that the bitterness is pretty restrained overall. Ginger, musk, a bit of toasty baguette. Palate is soft and delicate--though there is a bit of alcohol heat. Pleasant, very drinkable beer. The aroma especially felt like a nice step away from the usual IIPA.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Petrucci914 (910) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 11, 2007
UPDATED: JAN 28, 2009 Update: 2008 Batch 8283. The aroma is still the same. Taste seems a bit thicker which makes me question the new qualifier, "Ale Brewed wit Honey." Was it always brewed with honey? Taste seems heavily of grapefruit and a decent bitter pine taste. Damn......this is an exceptional beer. Pours a light amber color. Smells of Dole’s pineapple juice; very citrusy. Taste of hops and grapefruit and finishes with a bitter taste that lingers.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
mkgrenwel (599) - North Shore, Massachusetts, USA - MAY 10, 2007
’06 bottle thanks to moejuck. Lots of tangerine in the front. Lime as well. No malt flavor to hold anything up. Heavy prickly carbonation, coupled with disappearing flavor in the back. Bitterness hides and then slowly creeps up on you long after the swallow. Lingers for a long long time. I really like the flavor I get, but it just doesn’t hang around long enough.

padrefan98 (854) - (San Diego) Santee, California, USA - MAY 9, 2007
12 oz bottle from dmac621. Poured a golden amber color, with a decent white head. Smells of grapefruit, pine and citrus. Tastes of bitter hops and grapefruit. Very good IIpa.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Svesse (6767) - Hässelby, SWEDEN - MAY 8, 2007
(Bottle, Oliver Twist, Stockholm) Amber colour with frothy off-white head. Fruity nose with dark notes of hops, grapefruit, orange, pine needles and resin, slight hints of coriander. Very complex. Fruity, hoppy taste with apricots, grapefruit, orange and heavy notes of hops. Very complex, rather vinous and surprisingly balanced. A huge IPA and a serious hop monster. Brilliant! My kind of beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
henrikb (1259) - Aarhus, DENMARK - MAY 8, 2007
Beautiful orange golden body with a big white head; Big very pleasant hoppy nose (exactly what I needed) lots of ripe sweet grapefruit- and orange juice; Big soft deep bitter sweet body; Long bitter finish ending quite dry, lots of grapefruit peel and sweet cookie aromas. Like I said, exactly what I needed!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
deline7 (13) - Michigan, USA - MAY 7, 2007
I initially drank this beer acouple weeks after bottling and it was amazing. Over the top hops that somehow existed with a supremely well balanced barley wine. I had to remind myself that this was a 9%ABV beer. The beer was divine on tap at Eccentric Day also.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
dmac (4510) - Toms River, New Jersey, USA - MAY 4, 2007
UPDATED: MAY 13, 2007 12 oz bottle. I could smell the hoppy goodness as soon as I poured this one. Deep amber/orange color with a small white head. Aroma was an awesome sweet malt balance with some citrusy notes. Flavor is smooth with good hop/malt balance but dominated by a hop bitter aftertaste. Looked great, tasted great...damn this is one great beer. I just wish I had more then one.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
SamuraiArtist (292) - portland, Oregon, USA - MAY 3, 2007
Bottle thanks to jb175: pours a crystal clear orange with very little white head. Aroma of sweet malts and floral and citrusy hops with a little fruitiness. Flavor is a medium bodied amber sweet beer with a moderate amount of hop bitterness and good citrus fresh hop flavor. Where this beer really excelts is its orange, tangerine and peach type of flavors that i believe are coming from the hops. A really good beer but not nearly as bitter as i expected.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Speedle (266) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - MAY 2, 2007
UPDATED: FEB 13, 2008 Re Rate 2/13/08 1st time I had this it was one of my 1st 20 ratings and the 1st top beer I had tried...to date its still holds my highest rating ..... I’m rerating this to see if anythings changed, either way I bought a 6 pack just to be sure .... aroma is awesome, citrus, sweet grapefruit, fresh cut Christmas tree ... hops in the face ... ultra bitter without wiping out the taste buds .... just the right amount of sweetness ..... pine is dominant ... very little noticeable alcohol presence ... clean finish with the aftertaste on the roof of my mouth ...... this is going to stay my highest rated beer .... maybe when I can get my hands on some things that are not available in my area this will change, but for now this is the pinnacle of my appreciation for beer