overall

RATINGS: 2758   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.21   IBU: 70   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Starting with six different hop varietals added to the brew kettle & culminating with a massive dry-hop addition of Simcoe hops, Bellís Hopslam Ale possesses the most complex hopping schedule in the Bellís repetoire. Selected specifically because of their aromatic qualities, these Pacific Northwest varieties contribute a pungent blend of grapefruit, stone fruit, and floral notes. A generous malt bill and a solid dollop of honey provide just enough body to keep the balance in check, resulting in a remarkably drinkable rendition of the Double India Pale Ale style.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
lightbias (285) - USA - APR 5, 2015
This Hopslam was a surprise from a friend, and Iím excited about trying it, having had no experience before with any Bells Brewery other than their Dark Note. If youíve had the Dark Note, youíll understand why Iím so excited about the Hopslam. Lots of brew comes with a big reputation, and I generally go in a bit cynical, just to be on the safe side. I crack the cap, pour the brew into a tulip and watch the deep, soft head rise to the top. It grows thick, eggshell white and sits right on top of the aroma, masking it with itís density. I actually have to sip it off the top to get the aroma to really come through. Grapefruit and pine with an accent of barely ripened mango on the nose,and as I sip down, that mango actually comes alive. Iím surprised to actually find that dollop of honey - big as life, and toning the bitterness. The flavor of the honey is undeniably the most apparent flavor in the brew. The full body is very appropriate for a DIPA, the carbonation lively but not buzzy, and the stickiness becoming quite apparent as I drain the glass. The foam clings to the sides of the glass as the level of the beer drops, leaving behind a thick sheet of white lace. The finish is fairly short for an Imperial IPA and as much as I was expecting to have a nasty bit on my tongue from the first sip, the balance is just too good. No bite. I like a bite. Instead, I find a hard edge on the back of my tongue thatís trying really hard to be a bitter hop experience, but not making it...quite. Itís a really solid brew, but not my favorite experience. Iím enjoying the hell out of the honey, but as for a Double IPA, I can find better.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Hoprider (149) - DENMARK - APR 5, 2015
Pours clear golden/orange with a white semi dense head. The aroma has a strong but ballanced and fruity hop profile. The mouthfeel is very full for an ipa, definitely a strong malt backbone here. Although somewhat dense mouthfeel the beers is extremely drinkable with lots of mango, pineapple, passionfruit with plenty of maltnotes to support - slight bitterness in the end. The aftertaste is great - perfectly ballanced - nothing to dry or bitter. Pretty perfect!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
BigMike73 (1) - Michigan, USA - APR 4, 2015 does not count
I had it tapped. Excellent smooth IPA! Too bad it isnít a regular brew. Grab one when you get a chance.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
ddemmingjr (773) - Chagrin Falls, Ohio, USA - APR 2, 2015
Pours hazy orange, frothy khaki head. Lacing all over. Tropical fruits, citrus, apricot pine, and oranges. Cracker malts. Flavors of honey graham cracker, grapefruit, pine hop resins. Some spicy alcohol, hop bitterness and drying finish buy the honey sweetness comes back in there. Super drinkable and balanced. Elite ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 11/20
bgold86 (35) - - APR 1, 2015
Overrated beer, barely any bitterness and not much sweetness. I love Bells, but come on..

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
MarcoDL (2826) - NETHERLANDS - MAR 29, 2015
Bottle at tasting. Golden pour, small head. Aroma of citrus, peach and honey. Taste of pine, peach, malt and some sweet honey in the finish. Abv is well hidden, did not think this was 10%. Nice iipa, but not as phenomenal as it should be according to its fame. Just like the two hearted ale, I think this one is overrated.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Darwenus (634) - Virginia, USA - MAR 28, 2015
This must be getting easier to find, because I finally found some. It couldnít possibly live up to all the hype, but having said all that, it is undeniably very good. It pours bright, amber orange; the head is average and fades to a bit of lace. The aroma is complex. Floral and grassy hops, citrus, rye, and I think some of that honey show up in the nose. The flavor is all big, bright, strong hops up front. The rich, sweet malt comes through at the end. The honey is not a big presence in the flavor, itís mostly there in the smell. This isnít one of my favorite IPAs, I wonít go out of my way to buy it again and I wonít pay ridiculous prices for it. But I have to admit, itís a fine beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 13/20
Cool_Bond (1978) - Kung av ÷l @ Facebook, SWEDEN - MAR 25, 2015
Fruity, sweet and floral fragrance. Well hopped, sweet and floral flavor. Quite so heavy bitterness that fills the upper part of the mouth for a long while. Delicious beer but give it a medium ranking anyway. Follow me @ Kung av Ųl @ Facebook for more pictures and ratings.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
ElManana (1046) - Scheldewindeke, BELGIUM - MAR 24, 2015
Bottle thanks to kraddel, thanks alot sit! Also thanks to tderoeck for arranging it to be in my hands. Looking forward to trying this beauty. Pours orange with a small head that dissolves quickly. Cheesy, some grapefruit, mango. Smell is quite dissappointing I must say. Fortunately the taste is sooo much better. Exotic fruits and bitterness, evenly balanced by a big bodied malty, sweet base. It's a good thing I'm not getting the honey out of this, because I hate honey. Good beer, but I'd take Pliny or Heady any day.

IPagan5 (106) - San Marcos, California, USA - MAR 21, 2015
Finally can get this in so cal. Bev mo I think spouse got it. Perfect IPA with out crashing in on palate, big grapefruit notes in aroma and taste. Some little toffee, mostly hops, awesome brew