overall

RATINGS: 1470   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.83   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
The satisfying elements of both stout and coffee come together in this full-bodied treat. A marriage of Sumatra's best with rich chocolate and roasted malt provides for a truly enlightening beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
haddon90 (1490) - Denver, Colorado, USA - APR 11, 2004
A nice stout!! Deep black color with a thick tan head. Very strong coffee aroma. Chocolate as well. But the flavor was more like an ice coffee than a stout, which was very impressive. Sweet as well. Some chocolate in the flavor as well, and nice on the palate. Very impressed with this one. Bought this 12 oz bottle at the Liquor Barn in Lexington, KY.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
IPAndy (120) - minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - APR 10, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 12, 2006 Rerate: Bottle is a bit older, so the coffee has mellowed leaving more of a sour finish. Not as good as I remembered, and I prefer the Kzoo to this one any day really. Original Rating:I loved the smell of this stuff! It honestly was like sniffing a bag of coffee beans. The color is nice, but the head sealed the deal. Fully lasting orangish/brown. Tasted kind of like one of those chocolate covered coffee beans with a layer of stout on the outside. Yummy stuff.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
erway (1004) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - APR 8, 2004
Pours black with a tan head. Amazing aromas of dark chocolate, raisins and espresso. Very full bodied with a nice bite from hops and the coffee. Very nice but the coffee flavors become syrupy once warm.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
warrior (213) - Mt. Wolf, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 4, 2004
Black opaque color with a brown head. Strong coffee aroma with some roasted malt in the finish. Strong coffee flavor with some bittersweet malt flavor in the finish. A med body beer and overall decent stout. Beer for breakfast, who needs coffee?

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
TChrome (1425) - Bedford, Texas, USA - APR 1, 2004
Beautiful very dark brown color with an inch thick tan colored head that has excellent retention. Aroma is significantly dominated by a very strong coffee aroma, I would say approaching ground expresso beans. Flavor is heavily roasty/smokey . Really amazing that the ABV is 7.5% as it is completely hidden. Another excellent stout from the fine folks at Bell's.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
bmanLS (134) - Gibsonia, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 30, 2004
I love stouts and coffee and had a case of Kalamazoo Stout two weeks ago that in my opinion was close to one of the best stouts that I have ever tried so, of course, I thought that I would give Java Stout a try. I was not impressed with this stout at all and I got 22 bottles of this stuff left with no idea what I am going to do with it. It pours out black with a tan head and good aroma but its palate is terrible. Image this, a coffee pot which has over flown its filter and the grinds have made there way into the pot and now you are drinking them in your coffee. This is exactly my impression of this stout. I thought maybe it was just me and handed my glass to my wife who shares the same taste in beers that I do and she almost gagged. She felt so bad for me that she gave me another 35 dollars, told me to write this case off as a loss and to go out and get something that I can actually drink.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
DragonStout (1408) - Pickerington, Ohio, USA - MAR 30, 2004
A nice thick black color.Aroma of coffee and chocolate.Pretty much the nose agreed with the buds.We got a winner

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
axilla (962) - New Providence, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 30, 2004
Strong roasted malt and coffee nose. Alittle burnt. Pours pitch black. Huge coffee flavor. Taste very close to an imperial stout with out the alcohol. "Like someone wrung out a coffee filter into it."

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
tidiaguy (168) - Hawley, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 30, 2004
Black body small tan head. Roasted malts and day old coffee filter aroma. Flavors are strong black coffee with a nice bitter sweet ending. Medium body is slightly creamy. Excellent bitter finish. if you don't like coffee this is definitely not your brew. Good stout. Thanks BBB63.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
JK (4604) - St. Louis Park, Minnesota, USA - MAR 27, 2004
Beerslayer said it all. Tons of coffee in the aroma, but some vegetable aroma as well. Black beer, big brown head. Flavor mostly of coffee with some chocolate mixed in. The most coffee flavor I have had in a beer.