overall

RATINGS: 1434   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.83   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
The satisfying elements of both stout and coffee come together in this full-bodied treat. A marriage of Sumatra's best with rich chocolate and roasted malt provides for a truly enlightening beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Kinz (3286) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - NOV 25, 2003
Pours an oily black, nice head slowly fades away. Bit of light penetrates at the very edge. Aroma is like opening up a bag of vac sealed beans, just straight up coffee. Touch of chocolate and sweet cream around the edges. Flavor bears a remarkable resemblance to the "Vietnamese" coffee I get at a Cantonese restaurant, which is made with iced black coffee and evaporated milk. Good espresso flavors as well. One dimensional like others said, but a fantastic rendition of that single dimension. Thanks BBB!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
roomtempbeer (185) - Franklin, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 21, 2003
Beer pours (in Chimay glass) a pitch black oily liquid that light can not penetrate with a medium amount of caramel colored head that dissipates leaving a thin film of head. Aroma is of BREWED coffee, sweet chocolate. Flavor is of brewed coffee, sweet chocolate with a faint amount of hoppiness and dryness. No alcohol detected. Overall, a great beer. Don't really like coffee, but it could be one for the mix. Sampled at 68 degrees Fahrenheit.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
DrBeer (829) - Solna Stockholm, SWEDEN - NOV 13, 2003
Black with thin beige head. Aroma of fresh brewed coffee and malt. Coffee flavour with tones of dark chocolate. Coffee finish. Decent bitterness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
egajdzis (5335) - Spring Mount, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 11, 2003
Poured dark brown, although not quite opaque because there was some red around the edges, and a large head that left some lacing. Coffee bean aroma, maybe some roastedness could be found as well. Straight coffee taste, no alcohol or anything else, just coffee. I'll start my day off with this more often!

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
smoosh (536) - New Albany, Indiana, USA - NOV 6, 2003
Bottle: aroma of nothing but coffee. Beautiful appearance - black with a smallish dark brown head. Flavor ... man ... I love Bell's - probably my favorite brewery. BUT - and you knew that was coming - the coffee is just too much and too raw. I expected a big stout with notes and hints of coffee. This is more like coffee with hints of stout. I wanted to love it, but I just don't.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
rightoff70 (4) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - NOV 5, 2003 does not count
It looked pretty, but when I tasted it I wondered if I'd be up all night from the caffeine. They weren't kidding about the "java" part. It tasted of coffee from start to finish, with a hint afterward of that soapiness that I normally associate with porters. Pretty good stuff, but I've had better stouts.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Terminus (3237) - Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA - OCT 31, 2003
bottle-I think thedm gave me this bottle at the RBSG this past summer. I finally got to crack it open last night. I was kinda expecting more out of this stout. the problem with this brew is that it is kinda one dimensional(lots of coffee and chocolate). The body on this one was real nice an thick. maybe i will have to try a fresh bottle sometime, or even on tap.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
jeffin7 (612) - Silver Spring, Maryland, USA - OCT 29, 2003
Pitch black with a thin tan head. Aroma of roasted coffee beans. The taste is identical to chilled black coffee.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
LiebeBier (808) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - OCT 26, 2003
I really don't drink coffee, so I wouldn't drink much of this. However, I thought is was quite good. Though, Coffe aroma and finish was a bit too intense. I did like the "Java" phone call story.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Nexxus (261) - Apple Valley, Minnesota, USA - OCT 26, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 8, 2003 Pours a thick opaque black with a large diminishing tan head. Huge coffee/espresso (obviously) aroma with vanilla, roast and chocolate in the far background. Medium watery palate with low carbonation. Flavor is packed with very heavy coffee and roast notes. Bittersweet chocolate and vanilla linger in the background. An excellent stout. Stay far away from this one if you dont like coffee, it is very one dimensional. This is a great dessert beer.