overall

RATINGS: 1428   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.83   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
The satisfying elements of both stout and coffee come together in this full-bodied treat. A marriage of Sumatra's best with rich chocolate and roasted malt provides for a truly enlightening beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Terminus (3214) - Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA - OCT 31, 2003
bottle-I think thedm gave me this bottle at the RBSG this past summer. I finally got to crack it open last night. I was kinda expecting more out of this stout. the problem with this brew is that it is kinda one dimensional(lots of coffee and chocolate). The body on this one was real nice an thick. maybe i will have to try a fresh bottle sometime, or even on tap.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
jeffin7 (612) - Silver Spring, Maryland, USA - OCT 29, 2003
Pitch black with a thin tan head. Aroma of roasted coffee beans. The taste is identical to chilled black coffee.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
LiebeBier (808) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - OCT 26, 2003
I really don't drink coffee, so I wouldn't drink much of this. However, I thought is was quite good. Though, Coffe aroma and finish was a bit too intense. I did like the "Java" phone call story.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Nexxus (261) - Apple Valley, Minnesota, USA - OCT 26, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 8, 2003 Pours a thick opaque black with a large diminishing tan head. Huge coffee/espresso (obviously) aroma with vanilla, roast and chocolate in the far background. Medium watery palate with low carbonation. Flavor is packed with very heavy coffee and roast notes. Bittersweet chocolate and vanilla linger in the background. An excellent stout. Stay far away from this one if you dont like coffee, it is very one dimensional. This is a great dessert beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
PeterA (340) - SLOVAK REPUBLIC - OCT 25, 2003
This is one dark beer. I know most will call it dark brown, but I call it black. The aroma was of roasted coffee beans, which I'm sure is a shock to all given its name. The taste was all coffee, I tried to convince myself there was a hint of chocolate, but I failed. Bell's did exactly what they planned to do, they made a coffee stout.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 9/20
urbnhautebourg (997) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - OCT 24, 2003
I don't mind being in the minority on this one. It's a great chocolately stout (I mean really top notch) until I got hit with the coffee finish. At the Bell's tasting, the brewer indicated how proud he was of the "seemless" way the coffee mixed with the other stout flavors. I think that he could not be more wrong. There was simply no integration of flavor and such integration was badly needed, as the coffee flavor is so strong. But I won't mind if you like it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
BBB63 (5943) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - OCT 16, 2003
Very dark brown hue with nice creamy tan head and very good lace. Oh heck yes, there be coffee in this beer! The aroma is pure starbucks mocha frappacino except even stronger! The taste is a nice balance between the coffee dry bitterness and the sweet malt tones. The mouthfeel is cafe mocha like as well, dry yet creamy, smooth and lush. Sure this brew is a bit one-diminsional, but it does what it does very well! How I love my coffee stouts. Recommended if you do as well.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Cartoonkhaki (1220) - Brantford, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 29, 2003
Bottle at Bell's....Dark, dark black, with medium brown head that disapates quick. Nice smooth body quite creamy. Robust coffe notes in the aroma with some roastedness lingering around as well. Quite palatable uses Sumatra Manhelding coffee if your curious.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
davesarman (159) - Waconia, Minnesota, USA - SEP 3, 2003
Roasty, coffeish aroma. Black in color with thick big chocolatey head. Taste is pure coffee, very intense! This paired well with dinner tonight. I had a grilled black bear steak that a friend of mine killed in northern Minnesota. Also paired well with the chocolate brownie I had for dessert. I'd like to try this with scoop of vanilla ice cream in the glass!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
microdyke (360) - Portland, Oregon, USA - AUG 29, 2003
A deep black body with no real head. The aroma is of pure espresso coffee. The flavor is of darkly roasted malts and very strong coffee that lingers.