overall

RATINGS: 1422   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.83   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
The satisfying elements of both stout and coffee come together in this full-bodied treat. A marriage of Sumatra's best with rich chocolate and roasted malt provides for a truly enlightening beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
hotstuff (3912) - Indiana, USA - MAR 21, 2003
Unfortunately I didn't like this particular stout because I just can't acquire a taste for coffee tasting beers even though this particular stout didn't have as strong of a coffee taste as I have recently tried.But at least I tried it!!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
thedm (4886) - Fort Wayne, USA - MAR 21, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 4, 2003 This brew poured a very dark black body with a dark brown head full of small to large bubbles. It had a very strong smell of coffee in this one as I eagerly anticipate my first taste. The head is still hanging in there and the lacing becomes apparent on the side of the glass as I raise my glass for my first taste. Its very strong coffee tasted as I expected it to when a hint of "Oh my God what have I got here" hit my tongue. It’s after bite is just within my range of acceptance. It is pretty smooth for a "Coffee beer". Time to sit back and enjoy this great brew as I watch the military bomb Iraq!

Uglyradio (791) - Greenville, South Carolina, USA - MAR 14, 2003
Pours dark as night with a small, lingering, tan head. Big bitter aroma of coffee beans, roasted malts, and tiny bit of chocolate sweetness in the background. Full bodied with medium carbonation, the flavor is full of roasted goodness and chocolate hints of sweetness. The finish is a blend of chocolate and coffee flavors. Smooth and delicious, definitely a stout/coffee lover's beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Nuffield (3636) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - MAR 12, 2003
Mark me down as another person who really enjoyed this beer. There are appearances to be treasured here--the label, for one, to the extent that that matters, is one of my favorites, and then the head on this baby is interesting, with lots of swirling colors like trails of ground coffee beans. And then from there, it is just deep deep flavors...big beer! I wish I'd had some vanilla ice cream in the house--I think this would be an excellent candidate for an ice cream float.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Brodie (540) - Blowing Rock, North Carolina, USA - MAR 7, 2003
Rich coffee and chocolate aroma. Pretty close to black with a tan, persistent head. Bitter coffee and chocolate flavor, slight acidity from the dark malts. Pretty full mouthfeel. This beer totally lives up to its name - imagine the perfect coffee stout, this is it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
GearHead (32) - Woodridge, Illinois, USA - MAR 5, 2003
Great coffee aroma. Turn out the lights, dark. Tasty the bitterness of coffee and the great taste of a good stout. I would drink this for breakfast if my work allowed me to drink.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
proc (342) - Dearborn, Michigan, USA - FEB 23, 2003
Yet another winning stout from Bell's. Dark as night in the glass with next to no head. Aroma is that of very deeply roasted malt and begs you to take another sniff. The roasted malt shines through in the taste and actually nudges the hops to the background, which is something different in a Bell's stout. Delicious.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
redlem (1296) - Ohio, USA - FEB 21, 2003
Very dark brown with a large creamy tan head that lasts. Wow the aroma is like being in a coffee house. Initially the roasted malts and the hops are at the tip of the tongue. The coffee comes through toward the back of the tongue and from the aftertaste. Should there be a caffeine amount label on this beer? Once you get past the initial coffee bitterness this is a very smooth strong tasting beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
jazz88 (2525) - San Francisco, California, USA - FEB 18, 2003
Bottle. Black color with a dark brown multi-color swirl of a head. A wet coffee bean vegetable aroma. Typically grainy and big on the palate. The somewhat odd roasted coffee bean flavor didn't sit as well as I would have wanted.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
omhper (18944) - Tyresö, SWEDEN - FEB 17, 2003
Bottled, thanks hopsrus!!
Just what I needed to wake me up after a long session with incredible beers. Very black. And... coffee. Loads of coffee. The aroma is all about coffee. The mouthfeel sweet and creamy and nicely rounded, and the tarry, bitter finish is like eating from the bottom of a cup of turkish coffee. I wouldn't say balanced, but I sure like it.