overall

RATINGS: 1445   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.83   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
The satisfying elements of both stout and coffee come together in this full-bodied treat. A marriage of Sumatra's best with rich chocolate and roasted malt provides for a truly enlightening beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
DaSilky1 (2606) - San Diego, California, USA - DEC 14, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 23, 2003 I cant believe this. this is the third time im entering in this rating..where is this rating going..what is going on here..I can't handle this..I went into much detail..now i must conjure it up from my memory of 20 minutes ago..which is hard for me to do..the aroma was soilish with dots of raw coffee beans..i sniffed and i sniffed and eventually i notice a strong resemblance to that stuff you get at magic stores that makes smoke come from your fingertips, i bought that stuff once at disney world, it was cool, i got high of the fumes..the appearance was model quality, I was gonna ask this beer out on a date, but then i realized that it was a beer and i was really wierd, and i stopped..the flavors weere very coffeeish, with a big firm bitterness and lots of hop flavors, the mouthfeel was silky, creamy, full, and nice..I had this with a string of other bell's stouts and I found this one to be the king..

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
JCW (1275) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - DEC 13, 2002
Strong smell of coffee in the aroma. Dark brown in color. Taste the coffee in big way, but not in a bitter way. Also taste the roast malt. Well mixed flavors. Good stout.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
TAR (2503) - Lafayette, Colorado, USA - DEC 12, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 9, 2003 Re-rate; (revamping due to the the airy palate and phenolic notes) Aged 10 months: Huge aroma of shoe polish, black coffee, and tar. The sponge-like dense foam could keep a Silver Dollar afloat. Identical foam to Hercule. Too much carbonation and lack of malt depth detracts from the palate. Some notable flavors include: green olive, tar, and dry black coffee. Coffee flavors are of low grade, but this gets points for staying aggressive, unlike Schlafly, New Glarus, and Redhook. An atypical coffee stout. Flavors have held up remarkably well. This boasts a beautiful creamy head that sticks, huge coffee bean aroma, wonderful bitter chocolate and hop finish. As it warms it seems to get harder to drink but leaves a nice malted milkshake-like aftertaste that is pure joy. This beer was a lot of fun.

Racegoer (353) - Indiana, Indiana, USA - DEC 12, 2002
Strong coffee, and I like it,Dark and rich, frothy. Makes me think I want to start homebrewing for some strange reason.Nice head, held well, I think I could get to like these, Thanks to hopsrus for this one

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ElGaucho (2222) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - DEC 11, 2002
UPDATED: SEP 6, 2004 Re-Rate. 2004 GTM. Bourbon Java Stout. Chalky, milky (chocolate milk) aroma: 5. Light brown head, small. Opaque. Appearance: 4 Toffee, coffee, high alcohol. Burnt roasted malt. Very good. Flavor: 9 Palate 5. Overall 17. Original Rating: Came highly recommended by the beer guru at my local liquor store. Dark chocolate aroma (very little to no hint of coffee in the nose), with notes of dry pine. Huge, creamy light brown head with good retention & excellent lace. Dark, black body. Initially sweet, with moderate bitterness. More chocolatety than coffee-like, yet drier like coffee. I even detected a peat flavor. Surprisingly easy drinking for a big beer. Be careful!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Rockinout (966) - Kent, Ohio, USA - DEC 10, 2002
At first sniff-wow! coffee all over. This is not a coffee flavored beer, it is a coffee-beer. Dry bitter finish. Incredible.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
JoeM500 (1905) - Crown Point, Indiana, USA - DEC 5, 2002
Looks like coffee covered in a khaki meringue with nutmeg sprinkled over the top. Smells like cold, black coffee with a hint of fresh whipped cream. First sip leaves me with a foamy mustache.Really creamy at the start...almost ’light’ on the tongue! chocolate covered coffee beans, bitter and dry at the end, wonderful gritty lacing, superb aftertaste. Truly the king of the coffee stouts.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
raindog (560) - Evansville, Indiana, USA - DEC 3, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 24, 2003 I just want to say this is one of my favorites.Totally black with a nice,frothy,consistent,head.Leaves plenty of lacework.Heavy carbonation. Aroma of coffee grounds,chocolate and a little more coffee.Palate is a little off,in a way I can't describe.Too sticky?Flavors of chocolate,roastiness,and of course the coffee grounds being the overall taste.Extreme coffee.Finish is bittersweet.There are some hops in there. Slightly acidic.Alcohol comes out in the end.I would say as it warms,but since I took it straight out of my closet that wouldn't be precise.This is something I look forward to every year.Why I gave a 18 overall score is beyond me,cause I don't like coffee.This sure does it though.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - DEC 3, 2002
Bells has really gone extreme java for this one - the taste reminds me of when I was a youngster and wanted some of my parent’s coffee (but colder) - they like their coffee sweet and creamy and this memory occured to me instantly while drinking this fine stout. Color is black/brown and totally opaque. not a lot of head, but some lacing. This is delicious - I hope it doesn’t keep me awake tonight!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
stephen (308) - California, USA - DEC 3, 2002
A lot of coffee flavor in this one with an export style stout backbone. Pours black, rich head. Coffee, chocolate and roast dominate. Very unique. For the coffee lover.