overall

RATINGS: 1511   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.84   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
The satisfying elements of both stout and coffee come together in this full-bodied treat. A marriage of Sumatra's best with rich chocolate and roasted malt provides for a truly enlightening beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
egajdzis (5622) - Pennsburg, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 11, 2003
Poured dark brown, although not quite opaque because there was some red around the edges, and a large head that left some lacing. Coffee bean aroma, maybe some roastedness could be found as well. Straight coffee taste, no alcohol or anything else, just coffee. I'll start my day off with this more often!

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
smoosh (536) - New Albany, Indiana, USA - NOV 6, 2003
Bottle: aroma of nothing but coffee. Beautiful appearance - black with a smallish dark brown head. Flavor ... man ... I love Bell's - probably my favorite brewery. BUT - and you knew that was coming - the coffee is just too much and too raw. I expected a big stout with notes and hints of coffee. This is more like coffee with hints of stout. I wanted to love it, but I just don't.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
rightoff70 (4) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - NOV 5, 2003 does not count
It looked pretty, but when I tasted it I wondered if I'd be up all night from the caffeine. They weren't kidding about the "java" part. It tasted of coffee from start to finish, with a hint afterward of that soapiness that I normally associate with porters. Pretty good stuff, but I've had better stouts.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Terminus (3371) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - OCT 31, 2003
bottle-I think thedm gave me this bottle at the RBSG this past summer. I finally got to crack it open last night. I was kinda expecting more out of this stout. the problem with this brew is that it is kinda one dimensional(lots of coffee and chocolate). The body on this one was real nice an thick. maybe i will have to try a fresh bottle sometime, or even on tap.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
jeffin7 (613) - Silver Spring, Maryland, USA - OCT 29, 2003
Pitch black with a thin tan head. Aroma of roasted coffee beans. The taste is identical to chilled black coffee.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
LiebeBier (808) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - OCT 26, 2003
I really don't drink coffee, so I wouldn't drink much of this. However, I thought is was quite good. Though, Coffe aroma and finish was a bit too intense. I did like the "Java" phone call story.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Nexxus (261) - Apple Valley, Minnesota, USA - OCT 26, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 8, 2003 Pours a thick opaque black with a large diminishing tan head. Huge coffee/espresso (obviously) aroma with vanilla, roast and chocolate in the far background. Medium watery palate with low carbonation. Flavor is packed with very heavy coffee and roast notes. Bittersweet chocolate and vanilla linger in the background. An excellent stout. Stay far away from this one if you dont like coffee, it is very one dimensional. This is a great dessert beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
PeterA (340) - SLOVAK REPUBLIC - OCT 25, 2003
This is one dark beer. I know most will call it dark brown, but I call it black. The aroma was of roasted coffee beans, which I'm sure is a shock to all given its name. The taste was all coffee, I tried to convince myself there was a hint of chocolate, but I failed. Bell's did exactly what they planned to do, they made a coffee stout.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 9/20
urbnhautebourg (997) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - OCT 24, 2003
I don't mind being in the minority on this one. It's a great chocolately stout (I mean really top notch) until I got hit with the coffee finish. At the Bell's tasting, the brewer indicated how proud he was of the "seemless" way the coffee mixed with the other stout flavors. I think that he could not be more wrong. There was simply no integration of flavor and such integration was badly needed, as the coffee flavor is so strong. But I won't mind if you like it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
BBB63 (6474) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - OCT 16, 2003
Very dark brown hue with nice creamy tan head and very good lace. Oh heck yes, there be coffee in this beer! The aroma is pure starbucks mocha frappacino except even stronger! The taste is a nice balance between the coffee dry bitterness and the sweet malt tones. The mouthfeel is cafe mocha like as well, dry yet creamy, smooth and lush. Sure this brew is a bit one-diminsional, but it does what it does very well! How I love my coffee stouts. Recommended if you do as well.