overall

RATINGS: 1504   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.84   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
The satisfying elements of both stout and coffee come together in this full-bodied treat. A marriage of Sumatra's best with rich chocolate and roasted malt provides for a truly enlightening beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
PeterA (340) - SLOVAK REPUBLIC - OCT 25, 2003
This is one dark beer. I know most will call it dark brown, but I call it black. The aroma was of roasted coffee beans, which I'm sure is a shock to all given its name. The taste was all coffee, I tried to convince myself there was a hint of chocolate, but I failed. Bell's did exactly what they planned to do, they made a coffee stout.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 9/20
urbnhautebourg (997) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - OCT 24, 2003
I don't mind being in the minority on this one. It's a great chocolately stout (I mean really top notch) until I got hit with the coffee finish. At the Bell's tasting, the brewer indicated how proud he was of the "seemless" way the coffee mixed with the other stout flavors. I think that he could not be more wrong. There was simply no integration of flavor and such integration was badly needed, as the coffee flavor is so strong. But I won't mind if you like it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
BBB63 (6396) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - OCT 16, 2003
Very dark brown hue with nice creamy tan head and very good lace. Oh heck yes, there be coffee in this beer! The aroma is pure starbucks mocha frappacino except even stronger! The taste is a nice balance between the coffee dry bitterness and the sweet malt tones. The mouthfeel is cafe mocha like as well, dry yet creamy, smooth and lush. Sure this brew is a bit one-diminsional, but it does what it does very well! How I love my coffee stouts. Recommended if you do as well.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Cartoonkhaki (1221) - Brantford, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 29, 2003
Bottle at Bell's....Dark, dark black, with medium brown head that disapates quick. Nice smooth body quite creamy. Robust coffe notes in the aroma with some roastedness lingering around as well. Quite palatable uses Sumatra Manhelding coffee if your curious.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
davesarman (159) - Waconia, Minnesota, USA - SEP 3, 2003
Roasty, coffeish aroma. Black in color with thick big chocolatey head. Taste is pure coffee, very intense! This paired well with dinner tonight. I had a grilled black bear steak that a friend of mine killed in northern Minnesota. Also paired well with the chocolate brownie I had for dessert. I'd like to try this with scoop of vanilla ice cream in the glass!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
microdyke (360) - Portland, Oregon, USA - AUG 29, 2003
A deep black body with no real head. The aroma is of pure espresso coffee. The flavor is of darkly roasted malts and very strong coffee that lingers.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Kathy (241) - Washington DC, USA - JUL 14, 2003
Espresso (!) aroma with a chocolatey head. Wow! Bitter coffee flavor, as well (like iced coffee). Not as watery as iced coffee, though. It has some mild creaminess in the flavor, as well (very light). Balanced by a slightly rich, sweet, malty flavor. A good beer. Very interesting.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
hoppygrrrl (104) - Albion, Michigan, USA - JUN 27, 2003
This stout has, as you'd expect, a great aroma, and it really delivers on taste. Hoppy, with molasses and chicory flavor, it's dark, smooth, and slightly tangy. The coffee is mild and bitter, though at a couple of moments it reminded me more of coffee candy than the brew itself. But I'd definitely leap for another bottle if I came across one!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
beermatrix (1497) - Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA - JUN 24, 2003
Color is a super dark brownish black with some deep ruby highlights and a tan head that faded fast leaving little tiny bubbles along the edge and skimmed along the top. Smell is espresso coffee, a very deep roasted malt with some chocolate and sweet notes. Taste is crazy coffee/espresso deep roasted malt tone with all sorts of sweet, bitter, tang, produced from a chocolate malt of some kind. there is some herbally fruitlike hops floating around on the back which was a nice surprise. Its full, rich, heavy, and silky smooth and packed with nice coffee/choclate flavors that are a bit overpowering at first in the bittersweet department and took some getting use to, but once it settles in, its fantastic. Makes for a great dessert beer and conversational piece to share with friends. If you like coffee in any form, this is a must try, and if you like highly flavored stouts this is must, must try.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
BierBauch (784) - Cape Coral Waterfront Wonderland, Florida, USA - JUN 19, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 8, 2004 After being blown away by the Expedition Stout, I was expecting another good stout. Looks impressive with its deep brown body and fluffy tan head. Aroma of strong coffee reminded me of coffee ice cream. Crisp and slightly effervescent with medium fullness. Unfortunately the flavor of this stout tastes like that time when I accidentily drank coffee grounds that were floating in my cup. This is rather unpleasant in my opinion. Like stale wet coffee grounds. I may not even finish this one.