overall

RATINGS: 1432   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.83   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
The satisfying elements of both stout and coffee come together in this full-bodied treat. A marriage of Sumatra's best with rich chocolate and roasted malt provides for a truly enlightening beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
npdempse (934) - St. Petersburg, Florida, USA - AUG 6, 2002
Shockingly good. Like a really fine stout with a shot of espresso. Overwhelming coffee flavor, with roasty and chocolatey notes, and a good solid bitterness as well. Great label too.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
hennes (934) - Fountain, Michigan, USA - AUG 5, 2002
Wow - this is an exotic jungle trip into several hearts of darkness, the smell of napalm in the morning and all. I donít like everyplace I end up, like the stop in the sesame oil tar pits, but so much else is gorgeous, like the roasted nuts and jazzed up, spicy expresso action.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Jokes (1453) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUL 28, 2002
This is a thick, dark stout. The was rather large and a medium to dark tan color. Amazing coffee aroma complimented ever so slightly by the chocolate malt. It almost looks like some coffee grounds are floating on top. The more you drink, the more that seem to appear. The flavor is full of coffee, chocolate, some nuts, and some good roasting. The more one drinks, the longer the finish lasts. I donít really like coffee, but this beer was excellent in my opinion.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 20/20
BrockLandersLS (109) - San Diego, California, USA - MAY 7, 2002
You gotta like stouts in order to truly enjoy this beer. I am a HUGE fan of Larry Bells adventerous stouts and this one continues the tradition. IT has a very strong coffee taste to it but is underscored with other spicy elements that mix in a chocolately whirlwind of flavor to create a truly fine brew. Well done.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
NDmullet (208) - South Bend, Indiana, USA - APR 20, 2002
Thick, persistant head. Dirty coffee ground aroma. Man, way too much artificial coffee flavor, and not enough stout. Decent try, but way off, and disappointing for Bells.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 4/20
olympian (107) - USA - MAR 20, 2002
Larry overdid this one a bit, a trait of his in brews heís still developing. I like both strong black coffee and dark ale, but I donít like them mixed. I like both vanilla ice cream and horseradish, too - but I donít like them mixed either. Also, this may put your colon into the íExpressí lane the next day <g>.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Odin (123) - Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA - MAR 19, 2002
Needs some work, but Iím not a big fan of flavored stouts anyway.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Oakes (12446) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - MAR 13, 2002
UPDATED: JUL 27, 2008 My first rate of this was overly harsh - I thought the beer was, too. Very dark brown. Very coffeeish aroma with light nuts. Big beany taste with lots of chocolate syrup character. Quite sweet, despite the heavy coffee. I’m still not crazy about it, because I don’t usually like coffee stouts anyway, but it’s a decently made beer and gets a substantial upgrade.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Inveigler (371) - Ferndale, Michigan, USA - FEB 28, 2002
I wonder if I bought a bad bottle of this beer. Overall this stout was better than average, but I noticed a few glaring flaws. First, there was a perceptible musty flavor (didnít note it, however, in aroma). Second, I didnít think the coffee was well-balanced with the hops and malt; I would have preferred more subtle coffee flavors. Still, on hunting camp weekends, this would make an excellent morning beer!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
bubslang (438) - Kentwood, Michigan, USA - FEB 8, 2002
Another one of Bellís wonderful stouts,rich coffee aroma and Flavor, wonderful brown head.perfect mix of coffee and roasted malt that makes me want to have more. In fact I think I will right now.