overall

RATINGS: 1472   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.83   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
The satisfying elements of both stout and coffee come together in this full-bodied treat. A marriage of Sumatra's best with rich chocolate and roasted malt provides for a truly enlightening beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
AlabastorJones (806) - San Francisco, California, USA - JAN 10, 2003
I’m not much of a coffee person but this was pretty good. Basically no head, and the appearance of the beer is pretty much like every other Bell’s stout. As for flavour, very chocolatly and as you might guess EXTREMELY coffee-ish. As my friend said after finishing his, "I don’t know if this buzz is from the coffee or the beer ".

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
baobubba (455) - Starkville, Mississippi, USA - JAN 10, 2003
Stale coffee and sour notes make up the aroma. Medium body with a twangy slight bitterness that morphs into something more subtle. Slightly astringent finish with some coffee and roasted malts. Maybe an off bottle.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Hopistotle420 (1178) - Amherst, Massachusetts, USA - JAN 7, 2003
Roasted beans, nuts and grain in the nose. Big tan head. Deep black coffee hue. Starts really harsh with raw bean power, almost overbearing. This is an interesting stout, although I feel this is a little overdone. Big roasted malts, bitter all the way through, medium bodied, coffee finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
drismyhero (815) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - JAN 5, 2003
I love coffee, I drink a pot every morning and love coffee flavored things too. This, I did not love. Oh yes, it was full of coffee and yes it was Sumatra (one of my favorites), but this was thin, acidic, and unpleasant. Coffee is just not good cold unless it is sweet espresso, and this was not only cold it tasted like coffee grounds - you know, that old, dingy taste that worsens with age like a burned out cigarette. It is imperative that a coffee stout have an equal amount of malt and roundness to back up the flavor, and this just doesn’t.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
aracauna (3144) - Georgia, USA - JAN 4, 2003
Another pitch black baby, but this time one with a nice head. The other November stouts have been a bit sluggish in this department. What starts out as lacing on the glass ends up being sheeting and was a little more difficult than usual to clean. Even left my lips a little sticky. The aroma and flavor are very roasty and fairly dry. The coffee in the beer does more to reinforce and complement the roasty malt than to actually pop in the flavor. A black chocolate is submissive to the bitter roast. The mouthfeel is a bit gritty. The sourness present in a lot of the other November stouts is only a ghost lurking behind the other flavors. This is probably the best of the group’s offerings but it would have benefitted from a creamier mouthfeel with or without the grittiness.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jsquire (3562) - St. Marys, Ohio, USA - JAN 4, 2003
The last of the stouts of Novemeber that I have to try and I think its probably my favorite. Black with a frothy espresso-like tan head and a huge sweet coffee smell. Lots of coffee bitterness in the initial tasting. Very smooth. Definite dark roast coffee flavor but with a lot of sweetness, like strong coffee with caramel swirled into it. Very bitter fininish. Not for everyday drinking but a very tasty stout variation.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
MrRomero (1976) - Nolanville, USA - JAN 2, 2003
I don’t know if this is going to put me to sleep or keep me up all night. Black with nice tan head. Huge coffee nose. It does taste a little burnt. Probably my second favorite of the Bell’s November Stouts behind Oatmeal.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
daboskabouter (1470) - Fergus, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 2, 2003
Almost black color, brown head. Huge aroma of burnt coffee and light roast, somewhat vegetal. Very roasty body, big coffee flavor although the coffee tastes somewhat burnt. Long finish. This coffee stout works well for me, reminds me of Tim Hortons coffee, which is of course a good thing.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
UnionMade (621) - Connecticut, USA - DEC 29, 2002
Very pronounced coffee flavor and aroma. They must have used great beans, and a lot of them, because this beer tasted pretty much like drinking some ultra premium $5 a cup coffee shop stuff. Very bitter and roasty, enhanced with malt and hops. Easily one of my top ten stouts ever.

MaxPower (961) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - DEC 24, 2002
Dark black color, creamy tan head, leaves a lace in my glass, strong coffee aroma and flavor very,very bitter, kind of like chewing on coffee beans, after it warms gets much more flavoful, the most bitter coffee stout I have ever had, and I like it.