RATINGS: 1517   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.84/5   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
The satisfying elements of both stout and coffee come together in this full-bodied treat. A marriage of Sumatra's best with rich chocolate and roasted malt provides for a truly enlightening beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Jfishback13 (275) - Royal Oak, Michigan, USA - APR 13, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 14, 2004 Rerate... Very tasty... traditional Bell's flavor with sesame seed flavors and nice dark coffee flavorings.

Silphium (3190) - East Lansing, Michigan, USA - APR 3, 2003
Coffee and beer swirled in sanctimonious splendor? Indeed. Stout and java are the perfect match, and Bells has crafted a tasty brew combining the best of two camps of cherished beverage. I feel much as I do about Rogue Chocolate Stout- the flavor here is, by its very nature, powerful but not complex, yet this is not a fault of this specialist's ale. Jump for java!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
ConiseurofBeer (242) - Downingtown, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 1, 2003
I call this breakfast beer. Super dark, loads of coffee aromas and intense coffe flavor. Also has a nice hops bite. This beer is different, but I like it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
beerguy101 (5340) - Newark, California, USA - MAR 23, 2003
Dark black color. Medium head. Aroma is wet coffee beans. A full bodied stout. Strong coffee flavor dominates over everything else in this beer. There are some roasted malt flavors, choclately and sweet, but they are so blown away by the coffee. Its like drinking a stout that has had some coffee added. I realize that that’s the effect they were going for, but it doesn’t really work well for me. There is a touch of bitterness, but I can’t tell if it’s the coffee or the hops. Despite its unbalances it’s very smooth. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly bitter.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
ClarkVV (4591) - Allston, Massachusetts, USA - MAR 22, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 21, 2006 2002 bottle. Tasted like coffee mixed with beer. About as simple as you would imagine. It was interesting, sure, but come on Bells, stop making novel beers with 1 particular ingredient that stands out. I get tired of being disappointed by their monthly stouts. But I am being too harsh, at least they make lots of stouts, more than most breweries can say. Again, a simple, smooth stout, with bittersweet coffee tones. 8/4//6/2/12
2004 bottle After having Founders Breakfast, Kuhnhenn’s Creme Brulée and Péché Mortel, it was high time I rerated this one. So here we go. Roasty peanuts and coffee beans in the nose, a bit of bitter chocolate and some lactic notes. Flavor is much more rounded than I recall from 2 years ago. There’s more chocolate in this coffee stout, which translates to more sweetness and more balance. Gritty, chewy, medium-full to full body, low carbonation. They’ve certainly worked this one out. Chocolate and roast on the finish, a bit of vanilla and hops as well. 8/5/8/4/16

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
hotstuff (4508) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - MAR 21, 2003
Unfortunately I didn't like this particular stout because I just can't acquire a taste for coffee tasting beers even though this particular stout didn't have as strong of a coffee taste as I have recently tried.But at least I tried it!!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
thedm (5215) - Fort Wayne, USA - MAR 21, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 4, 2003 This brew poured a very dark black body with a dark brown head full of small to large bubbles. It had a very strong smell of coffee in this one as I eagerly anticipate my first taste. The head is still hanging in there and the lacing becomes apparent on the side of the glass as I raise my glass for my first taste. Its very strong coffee tasted as I expected it to when a hint of "Oh my God what have I got here" hit my tongue. It’s after bite is just within my range of acceptance. It is pretty smooth for a "Coffee beer". Time to sit back and enjoy this great brew as I watch the military bomb Iraq!

Uglyradio (791) - Greenville, South Carolina, USA - MAR 14, 2003
Pours dark as night with a small, lingering, tan head. Big bitter aroma of coffee beans, roasted malts, and tiny bit of chocolate sweetness in the background. Full bodied with medium carbonation, the flavor is full of roasted goodness and chocolate hints of sweetness. The finish is a blend of chocolate and coffee flavors. Smooth and delicious, definitely a stout/coffee lover's beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Nuffield (3905) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - MAR 12, 2003
Mark me down as another person who really enjoyed this beer. There are appearances to be treasured here--the label, for one, to the extent that that matters, is one of my favorites, and then the head on this baby is interesting, with lots of swirling colors like trails of ground coffee beans. And then from there, it is just deep deep flavors...big beer! I wish I'd had some vanilla ice cream in the house--I think this would be an excellent candidate for an ice cream float.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Brodie (540) - Blowing Rock, North Carolina, USA - MAR 7, 2003
Rich coffee and chocolate aroma. Pretty close to black with a tan, persistent head. Bitter coffee and chocolate flavor, slight acidity from the dark malts. Pretty full mouthfeel. This beer totally lives up to its name - imagine the perfect coffee stout, this is it.