overall

RATINGS: 2329   WEIGHTED AVG: 4/5   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
This is a full-bodied stout with plenty of roast flavor as well as hints of molasses and chocolate. Ridiculous amounts of black and caramel malts make this stout smooth, creamy, and utterly opaque.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
sneagrams3 (2337) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - NOV 19, 2005
12z bottle. Opaque hue with great finger width of tan head. Deep chocolate notes in the nose. Also a nice coffee and toffee, slight sugary raisins aroma. Full in the mouth and delicious! Great roasted coffee flavor, with bitter chocolate and a creamy mouthfeel. Mild hop nose and flavor. This is an absolutely wonderful brew! Rich and creamy, sweet and bitter, dark and full! Quite possibly the best brewery in the country.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
barenada (211) - Georgetown, Indiana, USA - NOV 9, 2005
(draft) Oh, Bell’s Kalamzoo Stout, where have you been all my life? This is as close to the perfect stout as I’ve ever had. All of the flavor of an imperial, but without the high ABV and without the alcohol burn. My new favorite stout in the entire world. Yummy.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
GTown (127) - New York, USA - NOV 8, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 9, 2005 Great mix of chocolate and sugars(molasses). Nice and creamy. Smooooooth. Far and away the best tasting stout I have had. Like Expedition, but without the alcohol burn. Almost perfect in all areas. If it were perfect, I’d have to stop trying new beers....

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
eve (240) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - NOV 8, 2005
Dare I say I like it better than the double cream? Rich, full, black, toasty, coffee-chocolate-caramel-candy flavor, round and smooth, mouth-fillingly luscious. Thank you sir may I have another?

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Dickinsonbeer (5074) - Hoboken, New Jersey, USA - NOV 4, 2005
This is one of my all time favorite stouts. Much better than the double cream IMO. Pours almost pitch black, thick, nice deep brown head, and low carbonation. Aroma is tons of roasted barley, chocolate, some coffee, and some licorice. Flavor is overloaded with roasted barley, chocolate malts, and light caramel malt for a balanced sweetness. The black malt is noticed only in the appearance, as there is no harsh acrid astringency in the flavor or mouthfeel. Finish is so damn smooth, and moderately bitter.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Boutip (5862) - Gatineau, Quebec, CANADA - NOV 4, 2005
Bottle: Poured a pitch-black color stout with a medium brown color head with great retention. Aroma of roasted malt with faint chocolate in the back. Taste is very creamy-like with a nice dose of chocolate. Not a whole lot of hops but I think this is for the best. Very well balance beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Philip (436) - Illinois, USA - NOV 4, 2005
This should be everyone’s go-to stout. When simply wishing for a well-crafted and inexpensive stout, this one is one of the finest. Notes of espresso on the nose and roasted malt lead into more coffee, chocolate, and oatmeal. I didn’t realize they used oatmeal in this one, but after having it again last night, I’m almost certain they do. I like the fact that Bells doesn’t go over the top with the roast here and opts for balance instead. Better on cask (several times at Bling Pig in Champaign, IL), but certainly fine out of the bottle as well. REVISED: Mr. Larry Bell reports no oatmeal. The creaminess, the brown-head retention; I assumed oatmeal. Thanks to Larry for correcting my error!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Illini08 (542) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - NOV 2, 2005
Been looking forward to trying this one and after 6 hours of class, a meeting, and a physics exam, I think I deserve it! Pours very dark with a small and fading brown head. Coffee and caramel aromas are strongest, with some slight fruit notes as well. Flavor is very well balanced. I’m new to the style, but I know a well made beer when I drink one. This was a nice beer to unwind with after a long day.

snowveil (7) - Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 1, 2005 does not count
My favorite beer to date. It’s got a bit of a complex flavor with chocolate, coffee, and a slight bitterness. Dark pour, as with most stouts. Not much carbonation to it either. I’ll agree with others on this one, probably the smoothest stout you can have.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
ElJefe (553) - Rochester, New York, USA - NOV 1, 2005
Pours black with a one finger creamy brown head. The aroma is roasted coffee beans, caramel, and molasses, along with some vinous notes. The flavor is very roasty, with espresso and bittersweet chocolate. Finish dries out nicely, but is very mildly bitter. Moderately thick and slippery mouth feel. About the smoothest beer you’ll ever have.