overall

RATINGS: 2094   WEIGHTED AVG: 4   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
This is a full-bodied stout with plenty of roast flavor as well as hints of molasses and chocolate. Ridiculous amounts of black and caramel malts make this stout smooth, creamy, and utterly opaque.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
WabashMan (1012) - Noblesville, Indiana, USA - FEB 11, 2003
This is a wonderful sweet stout offering from Bells. Beautiful color and head, nice aroma, and a great flavor make this a very worthy purchase. Spectacular!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
YnotABeer (96) - Missouri, USA - FEB 7, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 12, 2003 Wow, didn't really know what to expect, and this beer was a bit of a shock. Great pour, really dark with thick tan head and a pleasant smell; loved the lacing. I don't think my tastes are ready for this; rich, roasty, nicely malty and creamy, but then the hops overwhelmingly hit my tounge and throat with a strong lasting finish. Sure didn't notice any sweetness. Oh well, good thing I have 5 more to work on.

heykevin (1274) - Decorah, Iowa, USA - FEB 5, 2003
A glass of inky blackness. Faintly smoky in the aroma. A delectable tongue coating oatiness, that is well supported by considerable roast character as well as supple chocolate. Extremely good and deserving of all its fame.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
AustinMilbarge (681) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JAN 29, 2003
Appears to pour thick from the bottle. The head is thin and mostly diminishing, tan. Dark, almost black with some ruby undertones. Heavy coffee aroma. As the description says, "roast flavor" is apparent. I'm not much of a stoutie, but I did like this one. I wish I would have known about Bell's back in high school so I wouldn't have had to drink Bud Light and Bud Ice.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
redlem (1301) - Ohio, USA - JAN 25, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 24, 2003 Wow this is a taste explosion. Had on tap. Once I corrected the bartender who tried to pour this into a pilsner glass I was able to enjoy this beauty. Dark, dark brown with a tan head. Aroma was a subdued chocolate/coffee. But the taste was overwhelming, the kind where you shake your head, looking at the beer like it has just hit you in the mouth and you cant wait to get another. Creamy, chocolate, caramel, roasted, it is all there in a perfect balance. Nirvana.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
vtmobile (42) - Alabama, USA - JAN 21, 2003
beautiful high lacy brown head that lasts and lasts. Dark brown nearly opaque color. Faint aroma, but explodes on presentation with a burst of chocolate, roasted coffee and burnt caramel. Long hoppy palate with bitter finish. High in carbonation, full of flavor, a lovely beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Brewso (238) - Mt Kisco, New York, USA - JAN 19, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 17, 2006 This is a stout that fully represents the style: bold roastiness, strong chocolate, almost milky in its texture. There was some sourness in the middle however that was a bit shocking. I haven’t tasted this in other Bell’s beers. Has anyone else noticed this? Without the sourness I would rate MUCH higher. Re-rate June ’06- this is the absolute best non-imperial stout. Perfect hop addition to a thick, creamy, roasty beer. Outstanding re-rate on tap and in bottle ’04: There is the stout everyone is talking about! Big roasty, chocolate with great hop bite that cuts the milky sweetness just right. The everyday Expedition!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
belgianhomebrew (646) - Acworth, Georgia, USA - JAN 17, 2003
Nice sweet chocolate aroma. Sweet body with a bit of a hop bite. Finishes with a bittersweet hop flavor.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
flemdawg (531) - Naples, Florida, USA - JAN 5, 2003
UPDATED: MAY 17, 2004 This was my first experience with Bells and what an experience it was! I didn't expect the sweetness and was a bit thrown off at first, but i qucikly changed my mind. This beer looked great and tasted better. The texture in my mouth was very nice, and the flavor was there from the beginning to end of each wonderful sip. I definatly need to try this one again. Rerate: A definite sweet chocolate aroma, malts and carmel too. A brownish, almost black body, and don't try to see through it either. A decent sized head that lasted and was of the tan variety. Wonderful taste. The chocolate and malts blend together nicely and then there is a bit of sweetness with molasses It finishes with a lingering bitterness that is just awesome. Super creamy mouthfeel makes it easy on the mouth. Very drinkable and very tasty. I needed to retaste this one and I'm so glad I did.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
drismyhero (815) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - JAN 5, 2003
Whenever a beer pours with a dark rocky head like this I get all warm and fuzzy inside...you know what I’m talkin’ about. This had the trademark dark coffee and robust yeast flavors Kalamazoo utilizes so well, only this beer seemed somehow to make more out of it than the other stouts. This seemed somehow warmer and dustier, chocolatey and smooth. Very nice beer.