overall

RATINGS: 1210   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.23   EST. CALORIES: 159   ABV: 5.3%
A refreshing, blond colored pale ale. Bell’s pale ale is made almost exclusively from pale malt. It expresses a spicy floral hop aroma and taste.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
hershiser2 (1228) - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA - FEB 2, 2004
Paid $1.39 for a single 12-oz. Very pale yellow in color, decent head. Very beer tent smelling. Nothing great here. Not overly impressed here. Tastes too close to a few macros I can think of. Nice mouthfeel, that's for sure!! Perfect amount of carbonation...

jollyraider (252) - Los Angeles, California, USA - JAN 28, 2004
This beer was pretty bitter. I found myself actually starting with some MGD just to take the edge off. Coming from the Bell's IPA, somewhat of a dissapointment.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
kumite56 (471) - Cordova, Tennessee, USA - JAN 27, 2004
Once again I appear to be in the minority. I thought this beer was not balanced well. Weak malt backbone. Watery, light body and not particulary remarkable even in the hopps department. Weak, bitter beer. Aroma was a little floral but light as well. Not on my repurchase list

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Gromit (479) - Port Orchard, Washington, USA - JAN 26, 2004
My first experience with Bell's. I know it's going to get better. Poured a cloudy straw color with a decent head and nice lace. Taste is...missing something. It definately needs hops for my taste, but it's missing something more. It reminds me of my first attempt at brewing a PA and it turned out just okay, too. Mouthfeel is full and not quite creamy. Drinkability is pretty good as there's nothing offensive going on. It could just be a lot better, IMO.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
JackLanders (55) - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA - JAN 23, 2004
Fruity, not much head but with a lot going on in the taste. A little cluttered perhaps, but I'll always have a soft spot for this beer. I was 17 years old, eager to check out this whole beer thing I and picked up a few bottles of Bells. I figured that I wouldn't get carded buying 'the good stuff' and I was right. I hid them in my room and had one every night for 3 nights in a row and I savored every drop. Bells: thank you for a wonderful first impression of what beer is all about.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
invalid (302) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - JAN 18, 2004
Weak. Cloudy golden color, little white head. Smells of stale spice. What is this trying to be?

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
AustinMilbarge (681) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JAN 11, 2004
Rocky, frothy head. Hazy, golden, almost honey-like. Mild carbonation. Some sediment/haziness. Hoppy aroma, sweet. Not as impressive as I would have suspected. The flavors were a little muddled at first. Not very crisp.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
PBOYNY (316) - Westchester, New York, USA - JAN 7, 2004
a somewhat lacking pale ale,bland smell, very non descript taste, firm body, and decent head.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
muzzlehatch (4424) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - JAN 1, 2004
Bottled. Very light, fizzy decaying head. Sour grapefruit nose, very hoppy; hints of pine. buttery, nicely hoppy throughout, well-controlled, slightly thin on the finish. It's good, but what's all the fuss about?

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
jgb9348 (4776) - Arlington (Pentagon City), Virginia, USA - DEC 22, 2003
Slightly hazy golden colour with a frothy white head having TONS of suspended particles. Light aroma of citrusey and floral hops-pretty standard for good-quality APA's. Light to Medium-bodied; Nice spicey hoppiness well balanced with malt. Aftertaste left clean, hardly any hop bitterness. Overall, an APA that can be drunk any day of the year-it's well balanced and very nice for the style! Nothing majorly wrong with this one! I got this twelve ounce bottle purchased by my mom from Merchant's in Dearborn, Michigan and sampled it on 21-December-2003.