overall

RATINGS: 1275   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.23/5   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
A refreshing, blond colored pale ale. Bell’s pale ale is made almost exclusively from pale malt. It expresses a spicy floral hop aroma and taste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
steview (1037) - Petaluma, California, USA - MAR 2, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 3, 2005 UPDATE 2/3/05: tiny flakes float in a hazy yellow blonde body with golden highlight. slightly airy white head forms nicely when this beer is poured vigorously. random spots of lace are left behind, and a nice frothy white ring around the glass eventually remains. cremey and sweet at first, then almost immediately a nearly prickly and spicy punch arrives, only to leave a dry aftertaste so you have to lift up the glass and sip some more. primarily banana, grapefruit or pine, vanilla pastry, and floral. nice, and quite good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Nexxus (261) - Apple Valley, Minnesota, USA - FEB 28, 2004
Hazy bright golden yellow with a thick frothy white head. Floral/fruity aroma with notes of citrus, honey and light toasted bread. Light watery body with a moderate amount of carbonation. Very smooth and refreshing. This would make a great session beer. Light flavor of honey, citrus, and bread with hints of pepper and pine. Very good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
raindog (560) - Evansville, Indiana, USA - FEB 27, 2004
Very light looking,almost yellow. Excellent creamy head,leaves lots of lace. Aroma is malty(pale malt),and lots of hops(perfumey,spicy). Spritzy,medium bodied. Quite creamy. Great malty flavors-lots of pale malt,bread. Spicy hops in the finish with biscuit. Very drinkable,and quite tasty.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Erdrick (21) - JAPAN - FEB 12, 2004
Pours a dark yellow, with a thin white head. There is sediment of some sort present throughout the body of the beer. There is a sweet floral, almost sugary aroma to this brew. The taste is rather mellow, and well balanced for this type of beer. The carbonation is just right, though the body is rather watery. The taste could definitely be described as a sweet bitter floral. The aftertaste is pleasant, albeit slightly bitter.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
YourDarkLord (1800) - Urbana, Illinois, USA - FEB 4, 2004
Pale, hazy yellow with sudsy white head. Citrus, grapefruit aroma. Mild flavor with some floral tones. Nothing special.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
hershiser2 (2004) - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA - FEB 2, 2004
Paid $1.39 for a single 12-oz. Very pale yellow in color, decent head. Very beer tent smelling. Nothing great here. Not overly impressed here. Tastes too close to a few macros I can think of. Nice mouthfeel, that's for sure!! Perfect amount of carbonation...

jollyraider (252) - Los Angeles, California, USA - JAN 28, 2004
This beer was pretty bitter. I found myself actually starting with some MGD just to take the edge off. Coming from the Bell's IPA, somewhat of a dissapointment.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
kumite56 (473) - Cordova, Tennessee, USA - JAN 27, 2004
Once again I appear to be in the minority. I thought this beer was not balanced well. Weak malt backbone. Watery, light body and not particulary remarkable even in the hopps department. Weak, bitter beer. Aroma was a little floral but light as well. Not on my repurchase list

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Gromit (479) - Port Orchard, Washington, USA - JAN 26, 2004
My first experience with Bell's. I know it's going to get better. Poured a cloudy straw color with a decent head and nice lace. Taste is...missing something. It definately needs hops for my taste, but it's missing something more. It reminds me of my first attempt at brewing a PA and it turned out just okay, too. Mouthfeel is full and not quite creamy. Drinkability is pretty good as there's nothing offensive going on. It could just be a lot better, IMO.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
JackLanders (55) - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA - JAN 23, 2004
Fruity, not much head but with a lot going on in the taste. A little cluttered perhaps, but I'll always have a soft spot for this beer. I was 17 years old, eager to check out this whole beer thing I and picked up a few bottles of Bells. I figured that I wouldn't get carded buying 'the good stuff' and I was right. I hid them in my room and had one every night for 3 nights in a row and I savored every drop. Bells: thank you for a wonderful first impression of what beer is all about.