overall
Serve in Shaker, Weizen

RATINGS: 2124   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.46   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
Bellís Oberon is a wheat ale fermented with Bellís signature house ale yeast, mixing a spicy hop character with mildly fruity aromas. The addition of wheat malt lends a smooth mouthfeel, making it a classic summer beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
slinkymello (137) - Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - SEP 23, 2002
Full lemon flavor; cloudy, mellow gold as most great wheat beers are... prominent yeast flavor, which brings out the lemon, citrus qualities, quite malty and a touch of hoppiness... nice finish and quite refreshing, drinkable, and good. Not the biggest fan of wheats, but this one ainít bad.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
joet (2245) - Santa Rosa, California, USA - SEP 21, 2002
an appearance point for the label and packaging, funny and well done. Soft but very hoppy, fully aromatic and lightly bready with little to no toast or fruit. Light lemons and a touch of camphor or spearmint. Unusual, full flavored, and dangerously quaffable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
007lund (92) - Ann Arbor, USA - SEP 20, 2002
I really enjoyed this beer. It has a nice golden, mirky color, with a pleasant aroma. The taste has a fine and not overpowering hint of lemon. My only complaint was that it is not very smooth. Nice long finish. Good stuff.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Inveigler (371) - Ferndale, Michigan, USA - SEP 16, 2002
Amongst Michigan beer drinkers few events are more anticipated than the spring launch of Bellís Oberon. This American wheat beer has found its way into the tap rotation of most good bars and restaurants. Overall, itís an excellent American wheat. It has a solid body and the head sticks around for a while. Slight citrus flavors. The malt is more perceptible than with other wheats. My only complaint is that they seem to have changed yeast strains a few years ago ... this used to have a greaer phenol character. Still, great beer to welcome the sun with.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
gbzia (195) - Cedar Knolls, New Jersey, USA - SEP 11, 2002
A nice lite wheat with good wheat, citrus flavors. Need to get more and re-rate.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
boomhaur99 (3) - USA - SEP 11, 2002 does not count
this is one of the best beers i have ever tasted. hard to find, and a little pricey.. but well worth the extra couple of dollars. great taste, great aroma, overall a top notch beer....

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Jfishback13 (275) - Royal Oak, Michigan, USA - SEP 10, 2002
Everyone seems to worship this beer except for me. It was quite yeasty and citrusy... certainly not anything I look for in a beer. Go get a hard lemonade or something. I actually mixed it with a cream stout to mellow out the flavor, because it had way too much for me. WAIT A MINUTE... retried this on tap, and I finally see the hype. Damn good. I curse the old place I tried this at... I guess thatís why you keep trying sometimes. Has to be my favorite wheat beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
iwantalambic (1478) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - SEP 8, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 4, 2003 ReRate: This time I noticed more orange citrus flavours which give it the slightly bitter taste that I like a lot, up one on the palate rating.
Orig. Rate: I really like the slight orange tint that shines out of the glass. Well balanced wheat and hop flavours, nice.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
stillplaya3199 (14) - USA - AUG 30, 2002
good beer im lucky enough to live in caledonia so its easy to get

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
DavefromChicago (201) - Illinois, USA - AUG 25, 2002
The hot weather has drawn me back to this beer several times because it is quenching, and I feel compelled to rerate. This is one of the yeastiest beers Iíve ever had. The yeast, which is virtually totally fresh, like a sponge for baking bread, fills the bottom of the bottle. Hops are present but subservient to the cheesy, fruity yeast. The head is persistent but small and not too creamy. Color: cloudy yellow-gold. The flavor is very rustic, like a damp tweedy, wooly kind of taste...the yeast again...hoppy, tart rather than bitter at first but ending with a mild bitter snap. Some sweetness in there as well. Doesnít taste like any other wheat beer Iíve had. Pretty good but, I like my yeast a bit more spent, I must have gotten really fresh stuff. Weird but still not worthy of cult status.