RATINGS: 1539   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.67/5   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%
A dark ale for all occasions. A blend of dark malt gives this beer flavors of coffee and chocolate with some smokey roasted notes.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
SB (334) - Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 12, 2006
From bottle

Poured dark with ruby highlights. Nice thick off-white foamy head. Aroma roasty. Flavor big on the coffee notes with hints of chocolate in the middle and back. Whoa....I feel like I just took 3 shots of espresso, Nice! Smooth, Velvety mouthfeel. Medium bodied. Great Porter, this has become my go-to beer!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Braudog (6379) - Yorktown, Virginia, USA - MAR 5, 2006
From the bottle: Dark, dark red almost black with a thin tan head. Light coffee nose and a similar hint in the flavor... roasty and sweet. Very good.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
MrManning (2009) - Hamilton, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 5, 2006
Shaered by MDS at his place, thanks Mike! Much appreciated. We shared this bottle at a regular tasting, that had a few new things. Deep chestnut pour, with a short lived fizzy mocha head, fading to a thin ring. Rusted metal fills the nose. Thereís some coffee here, and chocolate too, but thereís leather as well. I can see where this should smell appealing, but somethingís off here. A soft coffee flavour is enjoyable, with fruit, some roasty flavours, but the finish seems slightly oxidized, and takes away from what I am sure is something great. Finish is silky, soft and comforting, and I can taste the coffee left behind, but again, a strange funk is present. Oh my word. Iíll have to give this another whirl. Thanks for sharing Mike.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
NobleSquirrel (3438) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 4, 2006
Finally got around to this, Bottle. Excellent drinking porter, nice and robust with roasted malt being the big character. Enough bitterness from hops to bring it around. Nice. SMooth. Smice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
jimmyh221 (157) - Brooklyn Park, Minnesota, USA - FEB 27, 2006
The color is black with a lasting head and excellent lacing. I smells and tastes a little like coffee. It had a nice smooth finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
patrick767 (4010) - fort wayne, Indiana, USA - FEB 26, 2006
bottle - Pours black and opaque, with a moderate to thick, long lasting head that leaves some nice lacing. The aroma is very noticeable and smells of roasted malts and coffee. It has a taste to match, along with maybe some chocolate notes. It has a moderate body and a mildly bitter and a finish thatís quite crisp for the style. This beer is another winner from Bellís.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Hollywoodt (240) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - FEB 24, 2006
Batch # 7156. Aroma was sweet malt, and a hint of coffee. Flavor was that and a little chocolate thrown in. A great porter. Get in my belly!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
RAYBOY01 (2012) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - FEB 22, 2006
Unexpectedly bland porter from this great brewer. Some roasted malt notes...brown sugar/molasses/espresso. But these seemed somewhat muted. My bottle seemed a bit overcarbonated, too, which detracted. I will rerate this one. These guys are so much better than this bottle would indicate.

bfeldmann (1050) - Wilmington, Delaware, USA - FEB 17, 2006
"Nice beer from bells again. Poured a dark dark brown head was a nice think tan, great lacing. Aroma was of chocolate. Flavor was sweet chocolate with a hopy finish that was done perfect. Creamy mouthfeel."

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
UnsofistaCat (241) - Garden City, Michigan, USA - FEB 15, 2006
UPDATED: SEP 5, 2014 A disappointment. Slight cardboard smell. Roasted malt was not rich and flavorful. Even worse, this porter had a terrible mouth feel, something I feel is important to a porter. It was over carbonated, with spritzy like dry bubbles. In a porter???? Very strong vodka taste for 6%. For a Bells, I refuse to believe it?s that bad. I will rerate soon.Well I said I rerate this and I am a man of my word. 6 years later. This beer is smooth cocodelicious. What a snob I must have been back then.