overall

RATINGS: 531   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.41   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Drawn from one of our oldest recipes, Smitten Ale began as part of a series of rye beers at our Eccentric Café. The combination of sharp citrus & resinous flavors from the hops with the earthy, rustic overtones of the rye malt contribution yield an interesting take on the American Pale Ale.

TomDecapolis' rating

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
TomDecapolis (4592) - Milton, Delaware, USA - FEB 3, 2013
Pours a hazy golden with orange notes and a large foamy white head that laced. Aroma of orange and lemon zest along with some cereal grains. Flavor of bitter grapefruit, lemon zest and Cheerios. A bit harsh and dry but I dig it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
rdixon77 (1192) - Georgia, USA - MAR 29, 2015
Old rating. Dark gold. Bread dough, rye spice, lemon zest, mild hop bitterness. Nicely delicate, nothing too overpowering. Good stuff.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
edwardbass (603) - Illinois, USA - MAR 28, 2015
12 oz bottle. Color is darkish yellow, medium-sized white fluffy head. Aroma? Lost on my sinuses. I like the taste quite a bit, citrusy with citrus rind and pine bitterness and a little bit of spice. I get almost no rye flavor from it. The carbonation is a bit much for me, and makes the beer fizz in my mouth a too much, which I don’t enjoy. With more subdued carbonation, I’d enjoy this a lot more. Decent, but not worth repeating.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
northropfrye (2418) - Steinbach, Manitoba, CANADA - MAR 28, 2015
On tap at Rhombus Guys Grand Forks. I didn’t get a lot of rye in this. Orange body. Hoppy pine nice bitterness. Stil not the true I was expecting. But a nice IPA.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 13/20
drpimento (2358) - La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 26, 2015
Appearance has a large off-white head, some lace and a clear amber color. Aroma is malt, hops, yeast, and a little fruit. Taste is similar to nose, bittersweet with a little carbonic tang and lingering bitterness on back of the tongue.The flavor isn’t bad, just not super interesting. Body is just right. One off for me I think.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Cool_Bond (1801) - Kung av Öl @ Facebook, SWEDEN - MAR 25, 2015
Fruity aroma. The fruity and bitter taste. OK bitterness which fills the upper part of the mouth a weak moment. Okay beer. Follow me @ Kung av öl @ Facebook for more pictures and ratings.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 16/20
MadShaolin (68) - - MAR 24, 2015
Light orange in color. Lots of citrus orange, lime and rye aroma piling up. Hops and rye duke it out on the mid palate. Rye wins out in the end. It's a great beer. If rye reminds us of winter, I wished the bright, citrusy hops would take over after the rye as a "winter to spring" continuation. But that's being picky. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
mfhennig (76) - - MAR 17, 2015
Poured from a 12 oz bottle, foggy golden pour, creamy white head. Mildly hoppy aroma with some spice mixed in. medium bitterness. Moderately bitter brew with some spice at the end. Medium bodied, a bit oily, lively carbonation. Probably a one timer for me.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Theydon_Bois (11138) - Tourist Town (West), Berkshire, ENGLAND - MAR 15, 2015
Keg at Jack Of The Wood Asheville, 16/02/15. Clear golden with a decent off white covering. Nose is pale malt, straw, bitter orange, citric pith. Taste comprises light bread dough, rye tones, bitter orange, lightly smoked straw. Medium bodied, fine carbonation, semi drying close. Ok.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
can8ianben (1379) - Souderton, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 12, 2015
Tasty and spicy, this one has legs and body, and is really a tasty addition to the Bells lineup. I like.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
BroadestTom (61) - - MAR 12, 2015
Aroma floral, spruce, citrus, Appearance golden, hazy, cloudy, minimal head, white foam, tan foam, Taste light sweetness, medium bitterness, Palate medium body, sticky, average carbonation, bitter, Overall I would suggest this beer to a friend