overall

RATINGS: 1748   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.84   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 183   ABV: 6.1%
Sweeter and smoother than Kalamazoo Stout. A beer for special winter occasions. Great with chocolate desserts. Available October-March.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
npdempse (934) - St. Petersburg, Florida, USA - NOV 17, 2002
Reminds me a lot of Expedition, just toned down a wee bit. Strong vinous and plummy notes, rather sweet, some chocolate, and an appreciable amount of bitterness. Very full (creamy) mouthfeel.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
bluemeow76 (693) - Lewis Center, Ohio, USA - NOV 14, 2002
Sweet and stinging. Good thick coffee and chocolate tones.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
UnionMade (621) - Connecticut, USA - NOV 13, 2002
More like an imperial stout than anything else. Pitch black, with an umber head. Very rich and roasty, with hints of chocolate, toffee, and even a nuance of cherry. Wonderful after a rich meal. Dessert beer to the max, dude.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Dogbrick (7666) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - NOV 13, 2002
Tasted at the Barrelhouse Brewing Company Microbrew Fest on November 9. This is an excellent Stout, which I understand is par for the course with Bellís. I canít wait to try the entire line! Pours black as night with a thin bone-white head and good lacing. Great smooth creamy flavor that I could enjoy all night.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Jfishback13 (275) - Royal Oak, Michigan, USA - NOV 8, 2002
Very good, exteremely dark, oily stout. Itís still quite smooth besides all of the malt and hops kicking in. Nice smoky flavor also... reminds me quite a bit of a thicker Dark Horse Bier.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
JohnC (3000) - Mission Viejo, California, USA - NOV 6, 2002
black as an imperial, but has a lactic (duh, itís a double cream stout) flavor. itís sort of an inbetween stout, not sweet, not dry. it doesnít quite do it for me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
iwantalambic (1478) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - OCT 28, 2002
A huge, light brown rocky head invited me in for a taste. . .how could I pass that up? I dove in and roasted malts melted into a sweet thick chocolate, while raisins and cherries danced around me. . .donít ever pass up an invitation from Bells.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
JoeM500 (1902) - Crown Point, Indiana, USA - OCT 23, 2002
UPDATED: SEP 13, 2004 The bigger, badder version of Kalamazoo Stout. It has a Munich malt base with flaked grain to provide a bigger, richer, creamier feel, but lacks a bit in complexity, Sweet. I had a very young version on tap and didn't get the smoky tones.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
softale (188) - Michigan, USA - OCT 23, 2002
Well Iím usually a big fan of the íZoo. But I couldnít really understand where they were trying to go with this ísweetí stout. It is smoky for sure, just like their porter, but somehow less enjoyable in this. Sure there are other qualities to this like chocolate and coffee but the smoked taste is a bit too much for me. Iíll go for their Expedition or if I want a little more sweetness, Sam Smithís Oatmeal is hard to beat.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jaymobrown (1649) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - OCT 13, 2002
I had this at the brewery, and maybe something was off because I at first I thought this might have been a smoked beer. The beer was as dark as a beer gets. Started out with good notes of chocolate, roasted malt, alcohol, coffee, and sugar. After the beer warmed I noticed distinct smoked flavors, like bacon. It didnít detract from the beer, but was surprising.