overall

RATINGS: 1828   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.83   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 183   ABV: 6.1%
Sweeter and smoother than Kalamazoo Stout. A beer for special winter occasions. Great with chocolate desserts. Available October-March.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
thedm (5155) - Fort Wayne, USA - MAR 23, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 25, 2003 The draft version I had poured with no head, but a bottled version I had later poured a large head of finely sized brown colored bubbles that left behind an opaque very dark black colored body with no visible carbonation and a fair lacing. It had a very strong coffee and chocolate aroma in both cases. It actually had a very mild coffee taste with a very thick mouthfeel and no after bite which allowed it to go down very smoothly. The flavor was otherwise OK with nothing remarkable to say about it other than it was simply enjoyable.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Aggie80 (790) - Michigan, USA - MAR 18, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 25, 2003 Dark pour with a hint of darkness in the foam. Thick flat and smooth going down the throat. Good chocolate/coffee flavor that isn't supported by the aroma. I like it, but not what I was expecting from Bell's.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Nuffield (3858) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - MAR 18, 2003
Interesting, though not my favorite to come out of Kzoo. Pours reasonably thick with a hint of carbonation and little head. Not an exceptional aroma and not suggesting the strong burst of roasted, chocolate, almost mocha coffee-like flavors. I thought this was much more dry than I expected. A bit of tang, almost a hint of sour before the roasted bitterness takes over in the finish. I attribute that to the cream but other than a hint in the aroma and this odd flavor combination, I didn't pick up as much cream as I would have thought (and I've had a good bit of high-quality cream in my day).

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 11/20
hvac4sl (31) - Dowling, Michigan, USA - MAR 7, 2003
On tap at the brewery. Poured deep brown with a little head. Chocolate-malt aroma. Taste was yoo-hoo thick with a medicinal taste. The label on a bottle and the thick taste take me back to the 1800's and make me think that this beer could cure the common cold or at least the sniffles.

Rockinout (966) - Kent, Ohio, USA - FEB 19, 2003
Big roasty nose, lacing. Smooth mouthfeel. Somewhat bitter yet creamy. Complex. Cool.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
WabashMan (1020) - Noblesville, Indiana, USA - FEB 11, 2003
Another nice offering from Bells in this one. Good flavor, color, and head. Very well rounded in flavor, and pretty smooth. The only weakness to this one is its aroma, which isn't bad by any means, but is a little weak. Good all around, though, and a worthy buy.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
AlabastorJones (812) - Seattle, Washington, USA - FEB 5, 2003
WOW! I knew this was going to be a good brew, but it was better than good, in fact, it was way good. It's pretty thick, but in a good, creamy kind of way. It has a pretty sweet flavor and aroma, kind of like some coffee/chocolate/maple syrup hybrid. I would HIGHLY recommend this to any stout fan, I see a few more 6's of this in my future.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Silphium (3188) - East Lansing, Michigan, USA - FEB 1, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 1, 2004 Updated 13 October 2003
Time to replace an earlier vague review. Double Cream Stout is perhaps my favorite beer. Pours deep brown with a thin tan head. Plenty of "floaties." Aroma is roasted malts with hints of sweet lactose. The new label indicates this stout is brewed with 10 malts, so the flavor is quite interesting. Roasted, slightly burnt chocolate rules the palate, and is infused with sweet and tangy notes of lactose and perhaps hints of dark fruit. Licorice also peeks through the creamy morass. Medium-thick body. Always a treat and a major reason to look forward to fall. However, what happened to the labels? Bring back the orange and cream!

Updated 1 November 2004. On to the Fall 2004 release. One thing about Bell’s is that their beers are not necessarily consistent year to year. While I liked the 2003 Double Cream Stout, every bottle I sampled (from several sources) had a dominant licorice-like flavor that masked the roasted-sweet interplay, not what I remembered from 2002 and prior years, when this became my favorite beer. The 2004 version is exactly as I first remember this beer. Rich, soft roasted malts with hints of coffee and chocolate, much like the regular Kalamazoo Stout, but with a sweet, fruity (cherry) characteristic (lactose?) undeveloped in the former beer. Rich, velvety, and amazing. I can now once again state with confidence that this is my favorite beer.

humulus (339) - Salem, Missouri, USA - FEB 1, 2003
Bells never fails. Be prepared for sweet molassas fragrance, chocolately persistant head and smooth yet robust flavor. Not too sweet, not overbearing. Good to the last drop.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jazz88 (2613) - San Francisco, California, USA - JAN 31, 2003
Bottle. Solid black with a laced dark brown head. The chocolate and roasted malts jump out of the glass followed by a more subtle milk nose when its cold. As the beer warms the dark fruits come alive. Whether cold or warm, the dark fruit and tangy notes initially call for a pause on the palate before the chocolate and malts come.