overall

RATINGS: 1749   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.84   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 183   ABV: 6.1%
Sweeter and smoother than Kalamazoo Stout. A beer for special winter occasions. Great with chocolate desserts. Available October-March.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
hennes (934) - Fountain, Michigan, USA - AUG 27, 2001
So we had cans of Beamish, bottles of Anchor Porter, and this lovely stout - not a bad evening and the double cream held up well in the excellent company. Itís sharp and roasty at first and sweetens and softens as it goes, perhaps too much as at the end I was left feeling a bit cheated, missing some of the complexity of the top notch stouts Iíve had.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
baseballguy (246) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 13, 2001
Behind that nondescript packaging that looks so unassuming on the store shelf (as if the design hadnít been completed and they slapped on some temporary labels) is one of the best cream stouts you could ever hope to have. They call it special and it is, but it is also a marvelous everyday libation. Whatís not to love?

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
pauliefrog99 (302) - FLINT, Michigan, USA - JUL 1, 2001
Like drinking a roasted chocolate bar.Excellent a must try for stout lovers.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Shadallion (534) - Sacramento, California, USA - APR 22, 2001
A friend from Chicago sent me a bottle of this brew, and Iím glad he did. True to its name, this is a creamy stout with a nice semi-sweet twang telling me its probably botte-conditioned. Worth buying if you see it.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
lil-dabz99 (54) - Lake Linden, Michigan, USA - FEB 26, 2001
Iím not a big fan of this kind of beer, but this stuff is very good!!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
bipolar1 (268) - Hancock, Michigan, USA - FEB 21, 2001
UPDATED: MAR 12, 2005 The name alone got me to drool. This beer is like a good chocolate malt, and goes great with chocolate covered pretzels. Normally I like a stout to warm up a little, but I love to get these ice-cold in a cooler and get the bottle nice and wet. I swear the best beer is brewed in Michigan, and stuff like this supports my case. The flavor is not totally over the top like Expedition Stout, but rich and creamy indulgence.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
billb (244) - Kennesaw, Georgia, USA - JAN 5, 2001
and here comes the spoiler. Nice aroma and appearance, but falls short big time on flavor. I keep waiting for a nice blast of warm maltiness but I get nothing but a weak hop tingle. It wonít stop me from trying the other highly touted Bellís brews.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
proc (342) - Dearborn, Michigan, USA - NOV 22, 2000
This is an excellent stout. Bellís is one of the best breweries in the world!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Zach Diesel (906) - Sisters, Oregon, USA - NOV 20, 2000
mmm Double Cream Stout! I used to be the anti-stout but lately I have grown to appreciate the finer aspects of stouts, and let me tell you this one has a ton of fine points. If you have access to this unique beer and you donít pick it, youíre gonna be sorry. Good real good.