overall

RATINGS: 1895   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.83/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 183   ABV: 6.1%
Sweeter and smoother than Kalamazoo Stout. A beer for special winter occasions. Great with chocolate desserts. Available October-March.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
tourette (225) - Seattle, Washington, USA - NOV 24, 2001
Another very good stout. Nice and creamy and tasty.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
labattblueleaf (225) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - JAN 12, 2002
Man do I hate dark beers. But this crap was good as hell. Strong so watch how fast and much you consume. Slight coffee/chocolate flavor which was surprisingly smooth to me. I did have about four other things before this though.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
mstockton (225) - Frankfurt, GERMANY - APR 15, 2007
A nice, chocolate head on this stout that calms down after the pour. Tried it at Crunchyís in E. Lansing, MI on draft. Strong, sweet stout with a little bit of a coffe and chocolate flavor. Very good, but I like the Kalamazoo stout better. This might give me a headache if I had a few due to the sweetness.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
soccer290 (225) - Highland Park, Illinois, USA - DEC 26, 2009
12 oz bottle. Interested by the ratebeer description of being sweeter and smoother than the Kalamazoo stout. Pours an opaque black with a small tan head. Smells of sugary chocolate, a hint of roasted coffee, and cream. The taste is light chocolate, a hint of coffee in the backbone, some sugar, and creamy-ness. Very smooth going down, but not much character to it. Not bad, but I think I prefer Kalamazoo stout over it, and greatly appreciate Expedition stout as far as Bellsí stouts are concerned.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
grandridge (224) - Port Clinton, Ohio, USA - MAY 6, 2008
I was really expecting a lot more from this rated at 97%. It was smooth but lacking in flavor. I thought this was the weakest Bells Iíve tried. How this can be rated right below Rogue chocolate stout for sweet stout I donít know. Aroma is roasted coffee with hints of bittersweet chocolate. Mouthfeel watery and flavor leaves you wanting more. I thought this was an alright beer but not solid and definitely not top three percent in the world.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
DrunkenWeasel (224) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JAN 15, 2006
Pours very dark brown with a thin tan head. Smell is creamy chocolate and some coffee as well. Taste is strong chocolate with a prominenent cream taste to it that shines through the semi-long lasting aftertaste.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
fuzzcro (224) - Illinois, USA - DEC 15, 2015
UPDATED: DEC 17, 2015 Nice bold stout flavor though not what I expected as far as fluidity. I donít think Bell can do any better than they did with Expedition and itís going to be difficult for me to rate one any higher than I did that one.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BenDover (223) - Texas, USA - JAN 7, 2007
Pours very dark, almost black, with a deep tan/brown head, very dense. Very complex taste, sweet with a roasty touch. Great stuff. Not as good as Kalamazoo, but really good.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
TOSG55 (223) - Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA - NOV 27, 2011
Bottle. Pours a deep brown with a slight tan head. The aroma is somewhat muted, but sweet and malty. The flavor is nice, but not terribly complex - malts, a touch of coffee, and a little bit of breadiness. Very creamy mouthfeel. Not one of my favorite Bellís beers.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
djtimeless (222) - Colorado, USA - JAN 4, 2009
Pours black with little to no brown head. Taste is chocolate malt and coffee. Roasty with a semi-sweet finish. Great balance, very good drinkable. No alcohol taste. One of the better sixpack stouts.