overall

RATINGS: 1765   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.84   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 183   ABV: 6.1%
Sweeter and smoother than Kalamazoo Stout. A beer for special winter occasions. Great with chocolate desserts. Available October-March.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Eleventh11Man (7) - Minnesota, USA - JUL 3, 2008 does not count
Pours a very silky black, with a very nice head. Very sweet aroma, almost coffee? Taste is sweet and a mildly smokey. A great beer for its style

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
supremecrusher (6) - Edina, Minnesota, USA - JAN 29, 2008 does not count
A cheaper cousin to the expedition stout. It has a slightly watered down mouthfeel for a special double stout. Very dark with strong coffee, toffee, and chocolate flavors.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
stt0229 (6) - - FEB 22, 2013 does not count
Slight hints of coffee on the back end... hits the palate just right. Smooth and creamy!

TrueGlance (5) - Missouri, USA - MAR 23, 2008 does not count
This stout was fantastic on a snowy winter night. With notes of chocolate, light coffee cream, and just a shade of bitterness at the end to let you know that it is alcoholic, it does warm you inside. The creamy mouth feel was appropriate here, and if poured in a two-step manner you get a beautiful tan head on the black brew. Don’t make the mistake I did though and drink four at a sitting... it is quite heavy!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
bmack94536 (5) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - MAR 24, 2005 does not count
To me, this is the definition of a malty beer. I should say multiple malt beer. And while I am not ordinarily a malt fanatic, this is the place I come for it. My best description of the flavor of this beer is this - I wonder what would happen if they made a chocolate version of it, ala Young’s. I think we’d have a dead ringer for a chocolate malt milkshake. Perhaps a little "Whopper-like", but a very interesting effort by a brewer who knows the ropes, but doesn’t mind leaning over them from time to time.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Duckbutter (4) - Liberty, Indiana, USA - MAR 6, 2006 does not count
Very Good overall, nice dark color as a stout SHOULD be! Seems to "wash" itself out if drinking more than 4 or 5 at a time. This is a wonderful beer to enjoy after dinner !

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
CanisFirebrand (4) - Redford, Michigan, USA - MAR 15, 2007 does not count
A bit of a chance with this one. I have never had such a dark and complex beer as I never thought I would like them. Some friends and I decided to have a beer tasting and discussion and this was one of my choices. I can say that I am glad I took a chance on this one. Opened a chilled bottle and poured into a large glass. The beer was dark and had a nice lighter color head. Once I let the foam settle, I took a sniff and was surprised that it didn’t smell really burnt or roasted. Took a sip and was surprised at the smoothness. It didn’t have a bitter taste or aftertaste to it. The flavor had hints of chocolate and coffee to it. A very enjoyable brew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
TheDewd (4) - Lenoir City, Tennessee, USA - SEP 12, 2009 does not count
Very dark, very rich beer. Has a sweet chocolate/coffee taste. I drank it in the summer but it would be best on a cold winter night maybe after Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
ajbender (4) - USA - JUL 2, 2010 does not count
Very interesting aroma and taste, reminiscent of molasses cookies. A very smooth and satisfying finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
SmoketreeBrewr (4) - Arizona, USA - DEC 16, 2011 does not count
Bottle at the Monk. Aroma is of coffee and chocolate with some smokiness. Appearance is dark with ruby red hints, nice cream tan head. Taste starts out a little smokey and quickly goes to coffee and chocolate. Finishes smooth with a nice creaminess. Great beer overall.