overall

RATINGS: 1746   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.84   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 183   ABV: 6.1%
Sweeter and smoother than Kalamazoo Stout. A beer for special winter occasions. Great with chocolate desserts. Available October-March.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Chad9976 (1126) - Albany, New York, USA - MAR 11, 2010
One of my favorite things about drinking beer is the moments when I try a sweet stout to top off a good dinner. A beer like Bellís Special Double Cream Stout can sometimes be even more satisfying than a piece of chocolate cake because itís much more complex. While I wouldnít call this a chocolate stout per se, it definitely is one of the sweetest, creamiest stouts Iíve encountered. Itís also surprisingly lighter in body than youíd expect which makes it highly drinkable and, I think, accessible to beer drinkers of all experience levels.

APPEARANCE AND AROMA

I poured a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass. I was surprised to see this beer was a dark shade of completely opaque black (no ruby red highlights at all). It formed a thick, creamy, brown head which lasted throughout the life of the drink and left some decent lacing on the glass.

The aroma was surprisingly mild, although it did live up to its name as the most noticeable scent was indeed cream. There were faint hints of milk chocolate, but otherwise the nose was rather quiet.

TASTE

I went into Bellís Special Double Cream Stout with a bit of an expectation, but was a little surprised by what I actually got. The thick creamy head was quite roasty-tasting, while the beer itself was very sweet not unlike a cola. In fact, itís so sweet it actually dried out my mouth and had me craving for a sip of milk or water between each swig.

Whatís weird is the beer is actually not quite as rich or intense as it may sound. There is a distinct cream and milk-like combination of flavors going on, but the overall palette is rather reserved. There is mild roasted malt flavors in the mouth, although they seem to gain strength in the aftertaste. There is only faint bitterness which I would attribute to subtle notes of chocolate.

DRINKABILITY

This brew is more reminiscent of an Irish Dry Stout with a sweeter body than a traditional milk stout. Itís actually quite light in body, but not watery like a Guinness Draught. Still, the mouthfeel itself is velvety and smooth and the aftertaste is strong and pleasing.

At 6.1% ABV Bellís Special Double Cream Stout is the type of beer Iíd rather drink on non-special occasions and probably in greater quantities than any kind of imperial stout. I think almost anyone would find this very drinkable since itís not too intense and goes down so easily.

FINAL THOUGHTS

Special Double Cream Stout is, at the very least, a solid performer. It has everything I look for in a good beer and I think itís the type that would appeal to pretty much anyone. Iíd be surprised if it didnít.

NOTE: I cannot comment on the price of this beer since it is not available where I live and was a gift from a friend from Michigan. However, Iíd say upwards of $13 for a six-pack would be a good value.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
beernovice39 (3102) - Montana, USA - JUL 12, 2010
Bottle pours a jet black beer with a thin dark brown head. Scent is sweet malts with coffee and chocolate. Taste is sweet with coffee and a tangy sour finish

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
zvikar (3370) - Ramat Gan, ISRAEL - JUN 4, 2014
Bottle shared at a tasting at Dancing Camel Florentin. Pours black with a beige head, aroma is sticky and glue with chocolate, vanilla and wood, flavor of chocolate, vanilla, wood, sourness, medium bodied.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 8/20
AlGreen99 (33) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - MAR 31, 2002
Very dark apperance.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Hopistotle420 (1178) - Amherst, Massachusetts, USA - JAN 23, 2003
Deep inky black appearance. Roasted grain aromas. Small tan head. Fruity and a little thin at first. Light cherry notes, dark chocolate, olives?, medium bodied, but finishes long and slightly bitter, big malt. Decent brew, although I feel this is over-rated.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Nuffield (3658) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - MAR 18, 2003
Interesting, though not my favorite to come out of Kzoo. Pours reasonably thick with a hint of carbonation and little head. Not an exceptional aroma and not suggesting the strong burst of roasted, chocolate, almost mocha coffee-like flavors. I thought this was much more dry than I expected. A bit of tang, almost a hint of sour before the roasted bitterness takes over in the finish. I attribute that to the cream but other than a hint in the aroma and this odd flavor combination, I didn't pick up as much cream as I would have thought (and I've had a good bit of high-quality cream in my day).

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
TheOrange (479) - Kent, Ohio, USA - APR 30, 2003
The Beer starts off with a big thick foamy head. The beer is a dark walnut brown. It has a very different tast, not quite coffee-ish or chocolate-ish or nutty. Has a short finish, and seems to be fairly thin. But also very filling. Overall better then average, but not the type of beer I will buy regularly.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Marc (486) - Yokosuka, JAPAN - JUL 19, 2004
Cream, roasted malt, and a bit of pineapple sweetness in the nose, Coffe, lactose, chocolate, and raisons in the mouth. Dry finish with green raisons and tannins.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
barleyPops (1141) - Quad-Cities, Illinois, USA - JAN 20, 2005
bottle. pours a rich, reddish brown with a nice head. a pretty good stout but I thought the Kalamazoo stout was a little bit better.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Jeppe (2631) - ōlbutikken, DENMARK - MAY 8, 2005
A pitch black beer with a thick brown head. Odd aroma, earthly and creamy with roasted and fruity notes. Sweet and cloying. Roasted and dusty flavor with cream and coffee notes. Watery finish. A strange stout.