overall

RATINGS: 207   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.61/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 162   ABV: 5.4%
A dry stout with chocolate notes and hints of oak. A cross culture of three different yeasts during fermentation delivers a delightfully different body with a soft finish

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
hennes (934) - Fountain, Michigan, USA - MAY 13, 2002
This is not a Pink Floyd Stout. This is backwoods mandolin and flying fiddle fare, a big thumping stand-up keeping time. Huge smoky inhale so you donít expect the hops to be such a force, but when they come - oh man! Itís like the banjo just opened up a wild solo. The hops duel banjos with the smoky roast flavours, producing bitter fine edges. íCourse, Iím not always a banjo fan, and i donít always like a big hop presence in my stout. But anyway, as far as Iím concerned this is bluegrass beer. But then, I play a lot of bluegrass outdoors in Michigan, and drink a lot of beer in the process, so Iím a bit biased. You guys who were looking for a beer to eat Pinconning cheese with? This is it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
jskendzel (602) - Washington DC, USA - APR 1, 2002
Not very thick for a stout. Good balance of hops and roasted malts. Very smooth mouthfeel. It made me want to come back for more. I am eager to try the other stouts from Bells.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Oakes (15490) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - MAR 13, 2002
Crackerlike, brown bread aroma. Well, when I get to the taste itself itís like brown bread crust. Not from your 7-Eleven loaf, I mean from the good stuff down at the expensive bakery that you only buy when you have guests over. Lightish body, pretty typical stout flavours, no shortage of hops. I have to be honest, I was more concerned with how well this was working with the Pink Floyd than I was with the beer itself.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
VENOM (941) - Connecticut, USA - FEB 21, 2002
Murky cola appearance with a thin but tight light tan head. Moderate carbonation. You can smell how dry this is. Roasted and bitter aroma with some java and nuts. Very dry, bubbly but with a solid malt base. Not thickly flavored but it is a dry stout. Nice lingering malt flavor, roasted, dry nuts. I do not like the sourish aspect of this and some other Bellís stouts. Yeast maybe? Thanks Trap.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
TAR (2657) - Marshall (Asheville area), North Carolina, USA - JAN 23, 2002
A dry/Irish stout indeed. Roasty malt aroma (like a camp fire?) with hops well hidden, yet noticeable. Silky mouthfeel and not as heavy as I would have preferred. Light brown with little head retention. Finish is semi-dry and round. Whaddaya know, another well-made stout from this nice brewery.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
heykevin (1281) - Decorah, Iowa, USA - JAN 14, 2002
This beer is absolutely fabulous. The flavors attack your tongue as in a tidal wave. Hops, roasted malt and grain flavor all hit you at once with rippling backcurrents of wonderful malt complexity. The finish is incredibly tight, everything coming back together at the end leaving your mouth hanging in anticipation for the next sip. An absolutely amazing bottled stout.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
lizziesage (180) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - DEC 11, 2001
(12-01 re-rate) My original rating was a little low so I bumped it up a bit after trying Trumpeterís again. A dark, dry stout with a slightly bitter finish. I found this stout to be a little hop heavy (relatively speaking). It had a floral, burnt aroma and a silky, bubbly mouthfeel. Another great Bellís stout.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Drew Blood (151) - Mt.Prospect, Illinois, USA - NOV 26, 2001
As I have said, I am not a stout nut, but this is Bellís and they are turning me. A bit more bitter and more complex than Susieís. I liked it not as much as Susieís but still a great beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
tourette (225) - Seattle, Washington, USA - NOV 24, 2001
Great stout. A bit of chocolate and coffee flavors. I like it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
fraternie (988) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 22, 2001
A thin and fairly bland malt with notes of black licorice in the aftertaste. Smooth, but not incredibly innovative.