overall

RATINGS: 3206   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.06   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
India Pale Ale style well suited for Hemingway-esque trips to the Upper Peninsula. American malts and enormous hop additions give this beer a crisp finish and incredible floral hop aroma.

jacare (21) - Hinsdale, Illinois, USA - FEB 19, 2007
Hinsdale, IL. Bottle poured into my Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Glass. Today I made the hour round trip to Munster Indiana to pick up a case of these. Also grabbed some Alpha King while I was there. The Two Hearted Ale case is a plain brown box stamped with black letters. When I got home and poured a Two Hearted Ale, I remembered why I bothered. This beer is a treat for the eyes, nose, and palate. Pours a hazy light orange, lots of sticky lacing and a low head that quickly dissapates. The aroma, I love the nose on this beer. Floral, hops, citrus. Hits you as soon as you open the bottle. And the flavor, bitter hops, smooth, dry finish. Just enough malt. I have to say with a refrigerator stocked with Alpha King and Two Hearted Ale, itís a real difficult choice. I think Iíll find myself going for the Two Hearted. I

JesSayan (9) - USA - JAN 18, 2007 does not count
It pours out clean and clear (if poured carefully) with an agressive and sticky bone head. Color is reminiscent of a sunset or the flesh of a peach. The lacing sticks all the way down. Oh, the nose on this beer. Itís home-made shortcake, glazed with citrusey pulp, vanilla and orchid petals. Hoppy to the extreme but showing a wonderfully sweet malt base. Itís full, but not fat or bloated in the mouth. Perfectly carbonated, keeping it light, but not thin... just right. When it hits your tounge, itís citrus bitter, rolling directly into sweet shortbread and vanilla malts. Plenty of fruit character shows, with some apricot and other fleshy stone fruits. The hop flavor doesnít back off though, itís there, and very strong, a lucious mix of citrus fruits, grapefruit, satsumas (mmmm) and the lovely spring like flavor of flower petals. All of this is rolled up into an ellegant dance of malt and hops... perfection. Seriously.

EricP1977 (2) - Mishawaka, Indiana, USA - JUN 2, 2005 does not count
Iím not going to tell you what color this pours or what hints of what random fruit I get when I taste it. Iím simply going to tell you that this is one of the best beers Iíve ever had. Bellís (or Kalamazoo Brewing Co.) is easily one of the best breweries in the country.

milewide (1511) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - JUN 17, 2006
UPDATED: DEC 3, 2006 Bottle, batch 7397. Bought at brewery. This is my first 5 rating after 143 reviews. Complex smell and taste with bitter, sweet and fruit. Iím a big fan of Founders and Stones---but this is the best IPA!

CTippmann (1) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - MAY 22, 2006 does not count
Best damn IPA. The Two-Hearted has a viciously hopped aromatic bouquet. The flavor is balanced like freight-train and crisp like the autumn air. The bouquet reveals itself on your bitter ridge taste buds sending G-force quivers down your palateís fault line. This intense IPA splashes smoothly down the throat with a fluffy, creamy head. Plenty of swirling sediment adds to its robust, flawless character.

Gmku (294) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - JUN 9, 2005
Absolutely delicious. The best IPA I have ever tasted. I canít imagine an IPA getting any better than this. This is a superlative IPA. It reminds me of autumn, of fishing in a trout stream, of Nick Adams and his sister hiding from the law in Hemingwayís The Last Good Country. This is The Last Good Beer from The Last Good Country. It must be. Pours a deep-red-copper cum sunset red/brown with a hint of rainbow trout pink. Forms a tannish head, very soft. Taste is Centennial hops all over the place. Its two hearts run into your refrigerator and drag their malty bloody selves across your kitchen floor.

altivoid (4) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - MAR 30, 2006 does not count
This is a perfect iteration of an IPA. Finish is smooth. Hops are abundant and aromatic. An ideal brew for almost any occaision.

JudgeDread (16) - Minnesota, USA - JAN 11, 2006
Fell in love with this beer as soon I pried the top off. The hop arroma crawled up my nose and set up camp. Beautiful sparkling gold color witha nice snow white head. Crisp bite and a flavor that last leaving your tounge yearning for more!!!

BeerBlockaid (683) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - MAY 31, 2006
UPDATED: JUN 5, 2010 I’ve been thirsty for this brewer ever since I signed up here. And FINALLY I make it to Detroit for the Movement music fest and just so happen to come along to a place called Jacoby’s that had a Bells product. The previous night I was left high and dry when i got to the club too late and they already stopped serving...sooo I missed out on the stout. Anyhow. VERY FINE IPA. Complex yet subtle in every degree. From the hoppy malt nose to the hop-in-the-kitchen taste. Very refreshing and clean and well blended. Some tartiness here, some sweetness there. Each sip was different. Fruits to Grasses. TECHNO AND BEER!! Because I miss this so much, it gets a 5.

GreatLibations (1854) - Last Supper, Arizona, USA - AUG 8, 2007
UPDATED: APR 22, 2008 Pours a creamy apricot color w/ a fuming full creamy froth. Head retention is superb leaving behind a latherous lace. Aromas of bright hop flowers and citrusy malts. Full nectar w/ ample residual effers creating a soft cotton texture. Flavors are bright and clean w/ a crisp, snappy hop profile. Flavors of Life Saver lemon drops, citrus rind, sodium, and mild caramel malts create this wonderful specimen in a league all itís own, Itís not a malt bomb. All components are so well integrated I am left wondering how the heck do they do that ? The finish is long and is bittered better than well. I highly recommend this brew. itís gotta be one of the best IPAís Iíve had.