overall
Serve in Lager glass

RATINGS: 28   MEAN: 2.69/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.7   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
Dortmunder is still famous as a brewing center, but its namesake beer is something of a rarity these days. The great beer writer Michael Jackson described the style as halfway between the austere crispness of a German pils and the lush maltiness of a Munich helles—in other words, a perfectly balanced all-malt beer. Starting with a base of U.S. 2-row pilsner malt, we add just enough lightly-kilned Vienna and Munich malts to add a slight caramel character. Hops are New World versions of European classics, smooth and clean, but with some real personality as well.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
BeerInHeaven (138) - Brillion, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 1, 2014
First of all, I don’t think this is really a lager. For me its much closer to an APA (which is one of my favorite styles). hazy gold with a frothy white head. decent lacing. nose is grass with some hops coming through. Taste is crisp and slightly bitter. Bitter hops on the finish with some nasal linger. I like this beer and could easily session it.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
queenholly (3006) - South Whitley, Indiana, USA - DEC 8, 2013
Bottle. Light grainy malt aroma. Slightly hazy pale gold with a moderate white head. Grainy malt and grassy flavor. Light body, moderate carbonation.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Niko100 (2033) - Illinois, USA - DEC 7, 2013
Draft; Light straw/gold color; Medium body; Aroma of light grain, & hops; Flavor of malt, grain, and hay; Finish is slightly bitter; Just average for me.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
esjaygee (3903) - Oak Creek, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 26, 2013
Berghoff introspective 1 of 5. So I looked in the cooler at Woodman’s and noticed this beer from Berghoff as one I haven’t rated yet. I managed to find five Berghoff’s in the singles coolers and was ecstatic to get more Wisconsin rates. A long time ago I started on rate beer and I simply had to try and buy everything. That everything soon became everything in the Midwest: the three I’s – Illinois, Indiana and Iowa, the three M’s – Missouri, Minnesota and Michigan and my home state of Wisconsin. Not long into the process I had to drop the three I’s as my cellar and waistline were expanding at a rate my pocketbook could not keep up with. One by one the M’s dropped off with me focusing on mainly one thing now – Wisconsin beers. If the beer is from Wisconsin and I haven’t had it, I’ll buy it - every single one (save swill at the moment). So as I poured my “made in Steven’s Point beer” into my “Brewed in Monroe Wisconsin” Berghoff glass (coincidence) I had now added another Wisconsin click to my wide assortment of Wisconsin rates... but wait, Berhoff is now from Chicago??

Straw yellow with a slowly fading medium white head. Aroma of skunked grains, toasted malt and mild bready notes. Taste is bland and wunderless with toasted Munich malts, grassy/leafy notes and a dry finish.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
illiniphil (130) - Nashotah, Illinois, USA - NOV 25, 2013
Pours straw yellow with a good white foamy head. More lager than ale. Not bad - will buy again. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
wlajwl (3997) - Quad Cities, Iowa, USA - NOV 3, 2013
Aroma is grains, slightly perfumed and, oddly, bologna. The flavor is grainy malts, mild/medium sweetness and an odd twang/sourness in the finish. The bologna did it for me.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
DrnkMcDermott (2821) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - SEP 10, 2013
I admit to liking it just a little more because I’m having it on draft at The Berghoff. Clean lager color, a thin foam ring around the edge. Light malt smell with a bit of pils character to it. Clean crisp "Special Export" taste that shows a hard water profile and puts German hops on the sides of my tongue. Hop bitterness builds with each sip. Now a much improved and very distinctive all-malt flagship beer.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 5/20
drpimento (2280) - La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 11, 2013
I mistakenly let this warm a bit before pouring. Corn comes out more. Poured with a nice, large, foamy, frothy, off-white head that soon settled to a light cover and a little lace. Color is a clear yellow with some bubble trails. Aroma is corn first then malt and a hint of hop. Flavor’s very similar to nose, but strong carbonation adds significant tang. Body and carbonation are ok. Finish is a little like flavor but morphs into something not as pleasant and too long.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
Fredis23 (481) - Hickory Hills, Illinois, USA - MAY 19, 2013
A Shade darker clear Yellow, Good Head, Some Lacing.Sweet Malt , Creamy Palate, Light Hop Bitter to Finish. Not too exciting, but an ok for this style. Decent.

1.2
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 3/20
shrubber85 (7862) - Greenville, Indiana, USA - APR 5, 2013
Bottle. Corn syrup malt aroma. Medium yellow with large head. Sweet corn syrup malt flavor. Very bad - not even a decent pale lager.