overall
Serve in Lager glass

RATINGS: 27   MEAN: 2.7/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.71   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
Dortmunder is still famous as a brewing center, but its namesake beer is something of a rarity these days. The great beer writer Michael Jackson described the style as halfway between the austere crispness of a German pils and the lush maltiness of a Munich helles—in other words, a perfectly balanced all-malt beer. Starting with a base of U.S. 2-row pilsner malt, we add just enough lightly-kilned Vienna and Munich malts to add a slight caramel character. Hops are New World versions of European classics, smooth and clean, but with some real personality as well.

1.2
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 3/20
shrubber85 (7746) - Greenville, Indiana, USA - APR 5, 2013
Bottle. Corn syrup malt aroma. Medium yellow with large head. Sweet corn syrup malt flavor. Very bad - not even a decent pale lager.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Ughsmash (7158) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 20, 2013
Bottled. Poured clear, bright, honey-golden with a short-lived white head. The aroma picked up sweet honey and corn notes with touches of vanilla and dry earth around.. smelled drinkable, but not great. The flavor found honey and sweet bready malts at the core, with lightly tangy malts and a touch of apple skin around.. finished with some tangy notes over sweet honeyed malts. Light-bodied with an ok flow through the palate.. filling carbonation.. drinkable.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
wlajwl (3932) - Quad Cities, Iowa, USA - NOV 3, 2013
Aroma is grains, slightly perfumed and, oddly, bologna. The flavor is grainy malts, mild/medium sweetness and an odd twang/sourness in the finish. The bologna did it for me.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
esjaygee (3903) - Oak Creek, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 26, 2013
Berghoff introspective 1 of 5. So I looked in the cooler at Woodman’s and noticed this beer from Berghoff as one I haven’t rated yet. I managed to find five Berghoff’s in the singles coolers and was ecstatic to get more Wisconsin rates. A long time ago I started on rate beer and I simply had to try and buy everything. That everything soon became everything in the Midwest: the three I’s – Illinois, Indiana and Iowa, the three M’s – Missouri, Minnesota and Michigan and my home state of Wisconsin. Not long into the process I had to drop the three I’s as my cellar and waistline were expanding at a rate my pocketbook could not keep up with. One by one the M’s dropped off with me focusing on mainly one thing now – Wisconsin beers. If the beer is from Wisconsin and I haven’t had it, I’ll buy it - every single one (save swill at the moment). So as I poured my “made in Steven’s Point beer” into my “Brewed in Monroe Wisconsin” Berghoff glass (coincidence) I had now added another Wisconsin click to my wide assortment of Wisconsin rates... but wait, Berhoff is now from Chicago??

Straw yellow with a slowly fading medium white head. Aroma of skunked grains, toasted malt and mild bready notes. Taste is bland and wunderless with toasted Munich malts, grassy/leafy notes and a dry finish.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
Patrickctenchi (3815) - Cox’s Knob, columbus, Indiana, USA - MAR 21, 2013
Pours hazy, fizzy yellow with a short, tight, white head. Aroma is light.....honey..bread. Taste is sweet, malty, honey and bread, again. A hint of vanilla. Slightly herbal finish. Just OK.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
thegreenrooster (3241) - St.louis, Missouri, USA - JAN 23, 2013
Pour is a hazy bronze with a small white head. Aroma is grainy maltyness with a little burning. Flavor is a honey like other raters have said but there is a nice bready-dry malt. Finish does have some sweetness but not anything overpowering. This is OK. They were going in the right direction but it’s a little too sweet.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
queenholly (2987) - South Whitley, Indiana, USA - DEC 8, 2013
Bottle. Light grainy malt aroma. Slightly hazy pale gold with a moderate white head. Grainy malt and grassy flavor. Light body, moderate carbonation.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
rumproasts (2951) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - MAR 12, 2013
bottle. Golden with small head. It’s hard to get excited about this style. Lagery with a bit of corn. Ok.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
DrnkMcDermott (2810) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - SEP 10, 2013
I admit to liking it just a little more because I’m having it on draft at The Berghoff. Clean lager color, a thin foam ring around the edge. Light malt smell with a bit of pils character to it. Clean crisp "Special Export" taste that shows a hard water profile and puts German hops on the sides of my tongue. Hop bitterness builds with each sip. Now a much improved and very distinctive all-malt flagship beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
jmagnus87 (2438) - Rockford, Illinois, USA - JAN 30, 2013
12oz bottle poured into a shaker. Pours a clear, dark gold with a half finger of white head. Aroma of honey and light vanilla. Slight aroma of light citrus also. Taste is medium-heavy sweet. Honey with some herbal hops. Medium bodied with a somewhat thick and sticky texture. Fizzy carbonation but a long finish. Overall, not bad. Pretty good for berghoff brews.