Serve in Lager glass

RATINGS: 36   MEAN: 2.79/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.8/5   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
Dortmunder is still famous as a brewing center, but its namesake beer is something of a rarity these days. The great beer writer Michael Jackson described the style as halfway between the austere crispness of a German pils and the lush maltiness of a Munich helles—in other words, a perfectly balanced all-malt beer. Starting with a base of U.S. 2-row pilsner malt, we add just enough lightly-kilned Vienna and Munich malts to add a slight caramel character. Hops are New World versions of European classics, smooth and clean, but with some real personality as well.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Frank (4024) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - FEB 19, 2015
There are no other Dortwunder or Dortwonders in the database. Congratulations to Berghoff for being the first to come up w/ this ridiculous name! And the icing on the cake is this beer is not abjectly terrible. Truly the first day this was brewed will be forever remembered in the anals of Point Brewing history. It’s a clear orange yellow w/ a long-lasting head of fine white bubbles. The nose is floury malts along w/ some floral, grassy and lemon tones from the hops. This has a bit of a sweet honey-like character but it is at least firmly bitter to balance. A very slight metallic off note around the edges in the finish is my biggest complaint. Overall, this is a medium bodied, highly-carbonated brew that is nice and drinkable w/ a little more flavor than a standard macro later (note: I like macro lagers so I don’t mean this to be disparaging). I could drink a six pack of this and come back for more so, hey, it serves it’s purpose.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
esjaygee (3904) - Oak Creek, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 26, 2013
Berghoff introspective 1 of 5. So I looked in the cooler at Woodman’s and noticed this beer from Berghoff as one I haven’t rated yet. I managed to find five Berghoff’s in the singles coolers and was ecstatic to get more Wisconsin rates. A long time ago I started on rate beer and I simply had to try and buy everything. That everything soon became everything in the Midwest: the three I’s – Illinois, Indiana and Iowa, the three M’s – Missouri, Minnesota and Michigan and my home state of Wisconsin. Not long into the process I had to drop the three I’s as my cellar and waistline were expanding at a rate my pocketbook could not keep up with. One by one the M’s dropped off with me focusing on mainly one thing now – Wisconsin beers. If the beer is from Wisconsin and I haven’t had it, I’ll buy it - every single one (save swill at the moment). So as I poured my “made in Steven’s Point beer” into my “Brewed in Monroe Wisconsin” Berghoff glass (coincidence) I had now added another Wisconsin click to my wide assortment of Wisconsin rates... but wait, Berhoff is now from Chicago??

Straw yellow with a slowly fading medium white head. Aroma of skunked grains, toasted malt and mild bready notes. Taste is bland and wunderless with toasted Munich malts, grassy/leafy notes and a dry finish.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
queenholly (3623) - South Whitley, Indiana, USA - DEC 8, 2013
Bottle. Light grainy malt aroma. Slightly hazy pale gold with a moderate white head. Grainy malt and grassy flavor. Light body, moderate carbonation.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 5/20
drpimento (3175) - La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 11, 2013
I mistakenly let this warm a bit before pouring. Corn comes out more. Poured with a nice, large, foamy, frothy, off-white head that soon settled to a light cover and a little lace. Color is a clear yellow with some bubble trails. Aroma is corn first then malt and a hint of hop. Flavor’s very similar to nose, but strong carbonation adds significant tang. Body and carbonation are ok. Finish is a little like flavor but morphs into something not as pleasant and too long.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
DrnkMcDermott (3007) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - SEP 10, 2013
I admit to liking it just a little more because I’m having it on draft at The Berghoff. Clean lager color, a thin foam ring around the edge. Light malt smell with a bit of pils character to it. Clean crisp "Special Export" taste that shows a hard water profile and puts German hops on the sides of my tongue. Hop bitterness builds with each sip. Now a much improved and very distinctive all-malt flagship beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
jmagnus87 (2912) - Rockford, Illinois, USA - JAN 30, 2013
12oz bottle poured into a shaker. Pours a clear, dark gold with a half finger of white head. Aroma of honey and light vanilla. Slight aroma of light citrus also. Taste is medium-heavy sweet. Honey with some herbal hops. Medium bodied with a somewhat thick and sticky texture. Fizzy carbonation but a long finish. Overall, not bad. Pretty good for berghoff brews.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
cbfobes (2881) - Quad Cities, Illinois, USA - FEB 23, 2013
Poured from 12oz bottle, pours a clear dark reddish brown with a thin off white head, aroma is sweet and bready with a little bit of caramel and malt, the flavor has a sweet front end with a bland finish of a little bit of malt, light malt feel, not impressed.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Christpuncher (2829) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 5, 2014
A smooth lager that is slightly fruity and a little bitter. Pours light yellow in color and smells fruity. Had this one at wild goose ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Niko100 (2700) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 7, 2013
Draft; Light straw/gold color; Medium body; Aroma of light grain, & hops; Flavor of malt, grain, and hay; Finish is slightly bitter; Just average for me.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Fatehunter (2271) - Corbett, Oregon, USA - AUG 18, 2015
Pours no head on a clear straw body. The aroma is grain and lemon. The taste is lemon and metallic bitterness. The texture is crisp and fizzy. It’s okay.